General Discussion Triathlon Talk » belly fat cure-- low sugar low carb diet- any feedback? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-01 12:03 PM

User image

Spanish Fort, Alabama
Subject: belly fat cure-- low sugar low carb diet- any feedback?
has anyone had any experience with Jorge Cruise, "Belly Fat" diet?

2011-03-01 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3377512

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: belly fat cure-- low sugar low carb diet- any feedback?

I'm not intimately familiar with this low carb plan.  I've done everything from TKD to CKD to Paleo and I've had really good success with low carb diets.  I will say this, they tend to not be overly conducive to tri training.  Those that allow for carbs on either side of the daily training work MUCH better, but it's definitely individual specific.

2011-03-01 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
You cannot increase the rate at which fat  is lost from specific parts of the body compared to other parts of the body.

If that's what they're promising, then they're selling snake oil.

"1 Tiny Trick to lose belly fat  gain recurring credit card charges."
2011-03-01 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3377847

User image

Pro
CyFair
marmadaddy - 2011-03-01 2:40 PM You cannot increase the rate at which fat  is lost from specific parts of the body compared to other parts of the body.

If that's what they're promising, then they're selling snake oil.

"1 Tiny Trick to lose belly fat  gain recurring credit card charges."

Can't stress this enough.  Spot reduction is a myth.  Whether through diet, exercise, or supplementation it's a myth.  That said many body builders do refer to a "carb pooch" at the bottom of the midsection that they need to go low carb to get rid of.  This isn't an issue until you're under 10% bf though.
2011-03-01 4:37 PM

Funny, I was just thinking about this.  I have a relative who does this plan, and she has lost some weight (very slowly).  Basic premise is that you can have 15g of sugar max per day (this includes sugar from fruit, veggies, milk and yogurt).  Total daily carbs need to stay under 120.  It's not a low carb diet, it's more of a moderate carb diet. 

For the record, I'm low carb and I love it, but I think if you want to look into reducing carbohydrates, there are better books out there with better research and better plans.  Jorge's sugar limit tends to leave you emphasizing carbs in forms other than vegetables (such as bread), and that approach is a little off to me.  Having to worry about how much sugar is in your peppers and onions is a little ridiculous... no one is getting fat from eating too many veggies (assuming they're not fried).

Beyond that, the name is unfortunate, and the promise of a 4-9 pound  weight loss per week is super unrealistic.  Anyone who puts this claim on the front of their book is a shady character.
2011-03-01 5:11 PM

User image

Elite
marmadaddy's right.  
Spot reduction's a myth.  
Calories in, calories out.  Sure, some muscle hypertrophy via strength training won't hurt the look of the ol' mid-section.
But, with workouts held constant, low carb, high carb, whatever...it comes down to calories in/calories out.  
Personally, low-carb would probably help a guy like me cut down on weight because if it's not carbs, I really don't crave it!    I think I'll stick to regular exercise and trying to eat everything in moderation.

2011-03-02 12:51 AM

User image

My input would be to just eat more protein and cut calories. Carbs fuel your workouts.

Good luck!
2011-03-02 7:57 AM

User image

Spanish Fort, Alabama
thanks for the input! 4 days without sugar, first two with a headache (detox) now  starting to feel better 
2011-03-24 3:37 PM

User image

Spanish Fort, Alabama

as an update;  now three weeks in with no sugar and low carbs. lost 12lb. I had shoulder surgery four weeks ago (bike crash...) so this is with no training at all. not sure how it will work when i am able to start training again. I can say i feel good and don't really crave sugar.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » belly fat cure-- low sugar low carb diet- any feedback? Rss Feed