General Discussion Race Reports! » Mid-August Meltdown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mid-August Meltdown Sprint Triathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Effingham, Illinois
United States
cuttingedgeevents
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 45m
Overall Rank = 23/88
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate a pb&j sandwich, banana and drank some gatorade. Picked up race packet got written on, drank a redbull. Found out that the bike portion of the sprint would be canceled.
Event warmup:

Jogged a bit (not nearly enough, but with all the changes oh well), swam a bit same as above.
Swim
  • 05m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Obviously, the course was a bit short (I think the top guy came in under 4:00 minutes), but i felt good for my first mass start. Was swimming all over people and got my RPE waaaay up, had to breathe every stroke, finally found some open water and came out of the water in 20th.
What would you do differently?:

First time, so I think there are lots of lessons here.
I am a good enough swimmer to have started closer to the front, or off to the side basically need to find open water sooner. That should help the RPE and keep me swimming my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I wear socks for running and that is just not going to change. I also put on a heart rate monitor, shirt, and race number. If I was really going to have been competitive I should have probably skipped the shirt and monitor, but I like the data and I just don't know if I am hardcore enough to race shirtless.
Run
  • 22m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

came out of transition and had lost about :45 to some people that I had no idea of what AG they were, so I decided that I needed to just run and see what happened. Picked off a few people, but really just maintained place, real strong kick at the end and PRd my 5K by 1:15.
What would you do differently?:

I lost focus about three times, had I really focused I might have been able to break 22.
Post race
Warm down:

Went up the course a bit and watched Jen finish.

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:30 | 440 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 20/88
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  01:30
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Below average
Running
00:22:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 27/88
Performance: Good
Got out of transition and heart rate was screaming (176), and had water in my ears. The heart rate was ok as I race 5ks at an average of 182, this one was no different, though I did see a high of 195.
Course: Out and back relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-14 8:59 PM

User image

Subject: Mid-August Meltdown Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mid-August Meltdown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed