General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-13 8:39 PM

Subject: foot injury
I'm new to the sport and was planning on doing my first sprint tri in early summer. I'm an avid mountain biker and have done a few 5k's. About 4 weeks ago I sprained my foot by seriously hyperextending it. It's still very weak and not even close to 100% and walking isn't back to normal. I'm itching to get out and do something and the nice weather doesn't help. Anyone have any insight as to how long these take to heal or how easy it really is to get back to the level I was before the injury after a month off of training. I don't want to do anything that will set me back, I have been doing some simple strengthening exercises. 

2011-03-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3396104

User image

Long Island
Subject: RE: foot injury

Sounds like me... i hurt the inside of my ankle 3 weeks ago... the first 2 weeks I thought it was getting better.. so I got back to running and my normal exercise routine... I saw a doc last week and he said absolutly no running for 2 weeks.... I have a tri sprint in June.. and a half marathon in May... and this beautiful weather is KILLING ME because I'm not outside running. ..

what part of the foot hurts?

2011-03-14 8:20 AM

I injuried the top of my foot not even my ankle. I slipped down the stairs and landed on my foot as if i was kneeling on it. Most of the problem is pushing off of my toes and near the ankle where your foot bends. I'm just afraid that if I start to do something I don't want to cause anymore problems or have long term reprocussions. 
2011-03-14 8:36 AM

User image

Long Island

Yeah... thats exactly how I feel... I dn if you can swim and bike... thats what I've been doing... if not... you can do upper body workouts.. and leg lifts and stuff for your lower body... I would def not go back to your normal routine if you feel pain.... I did that... and it got worse... now I am completely taking a break from running until I feel no pain at all.

try soaking in epsom salt...In hot water... I'm finding that helps me the most... and its supposed to speed up heeling bc it circulates the blood better

2011-03-14 9:11 AM

Great thanks! Biking may be the only thing I can do swimming is uncomfortable still. I have been doing upper body at the gym. I did get the funny looks from other gym goers while working out and hobbling on cruthches. Good luck with your anlke!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot injury Rss Feed