Naperville
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 38/47
Pre-race routine:

First, let me start off by saying that I almost didn't do this race. I've been struggling all summer with health issues and depression and my heart just hasn't been into this. I've also been on medication to treat an irregular heart rate, which has made physical activity much more difficult for me. I had not done any physical activity of any sort since my last race on 7/31, which I also did worse than expected. I woke up at 3am and laid in bed for a good hour to psyche myself up to go to the race. I finally got up and had my regular bagel with peanut butter and packed my transition pack. My husband wanted to sleep in, so I was on my own. The cat got out so I spent 15 minutes tracking him down, then I got lost on my way to Naperville. Not a good start to my day. I did not pick up my race packet in advance so I was a little disoriented. I won't do that ever again! Got into transition, and they had numbered the spots. I love this. I know a lot of triathletes hate it, but to me, if I don't have to worry about some jerk arriving 30 seconds before transition closes and throwing his/her bike and stuff right over my area (this happens to me every race!), it helps me enjoy the race quite a bit more.
Event warmup:

I had no idea what was going on when I picked up my packet. This race was not a waved start, so I was trying to figure out what my start time was. By the time I figured everything out, I had to get into the water to start my swim. I didn't even stretch. I am paying for it today. My knees are sore and my entire upper back and shoulders are aching. Oops.
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

All summer long I've struggled with swimming. My goal was 12 minutes and to keep my trouble HR below 160. I barely missed the 12 minute mark, but I hit my target HR, so I'm not unhappy.

This start was perfect for me. It was really informal. Just lined up wherever you felt like. Volunteers held signs with estimated times, so you could line up where you felt you'd perform the best. They let 4 people start every 5 to 10 seconds. Went very quick. Best of all, this pool is so big that with 4 people, you didn't really run into too many problems of people swimming over you.

My biggest problem was navigation. I think I could have trimmed 2 or maybe even 3 minutes off my time if I hadn't veered way out of the first and last lanes. I also swam way past the first bouy before rounding.
What would you do differently?:

Really practice my navigation this winter. I like this pool a lot and would buy a membership if Naperville wasn't a good 30 minute drive from my house.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

The varied start times meant that I wasn't navigating transition with everyone in the same rack as me, which made it easier. I'm happy with this. When I first started triathlons, I couldn't do this transition in under 8 minutes. I'm now half this.

I really want to practice putting my shoes on standing up. I don't do this, and I think this is a way that I could save a lot of time.
Bike
  • 51m 37s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.41 mile/hr
Comments:

No idea what happened here. I thought I was having a decent ride, but when I looked at my watch, I was a bit surprised. My bike computer was way off, as it told me I was doing between 16-17. That is still much lower than I should be, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

I had lots of mental distractions that caused me to lose focus.
1) I improperly tied down my aero drink bottle, so it made a really bad rattle noise that really destroyed my concentration
2) The numbers we were provided were twist tied onto the cross tube and were cheap. The road was littered with them. Mine tore and was flapping in the wind against my inner leg the whole time. I ripped it off and held it for the last 2 miles, knowing that I'd probably get pushback trying to take it out of transition without a number.
3) There were some rough spots on the road. I hit one pothole that was hiding and the gatorade from my aero bottle sprayed all over my handlebars, computer, and the aero arm rests. The stickiness really distracted me quite a bit.
4) My bike computer rolled over to 1000 miles while on the ride, taking away the 10,000th place right of the decimal. I can't even begin to describe how much this distracted me. I'm used to looking down and seeing this number constantly roll with the 100th space rolling at a more visible pace. I liken this experience to putting a new piece of gear on the bike - if it changes the biking experience into something unfamiliar, it probably isn't a good idea for a race day.

Try my hardest not to let mental distractions cause me to take my mind off the race. I figure I raced at a 20% slower pace than what I was prepared to do because I was not focused. I know that it isn't about the bike, but the person on it, but I had a faster pace on a heavy mountain bike on this course last year. I'm twice the cyclist I was, plus on a much more appropriate road bike. I should not have had results like this. I attribute it 100% to my inability to stay focused.

Be more alert of imperfections in the road. Tie down the aero bottle better! Don't put gatorade in it!
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Quick, painless. My spot was right by the run out. Nice :)

I forgot my race belt. Oops. I even took it out of my running hat and threw it aside.
Run
  • 35m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pushing for 30 minutes. Considering I've sat on my ass and drank a lot of beer in the past month, I should be happy with what I got.

I don't know. I'm not a fast person. I will never ever do a 5k in 25 minutes. I understand my weaknesses. Part of this sport is pushing yourself to do better, but I think that given my heart and ankle problems, I need to concentrate on what I can do rather than what I can't.

That being said, running within 2 weeks before a race probably wouldn't have hurt me :)
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water, ate a browned ass banana, and walked around until my heart rate fell back below 120.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not preparing, emotionally not being there until the event started.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race and am glad I forced myself to go. I really wanted to finish this one in between 1:30-1:45, and I only missed by 43 seconds. If I had actually gotten off my rear and prepared, I'm sure I could have come in much better.

Things I liked:
- Marked areas in Transition
- Short swim course in a poor-swimmer friendly venue
- The start when you feel like it casuality (so much of my life is structured with schedules. When I do something for enjoyment, like this race, it makes it more fun for me when there is no pressure of a start time)

Things I didn't like:
- 30 minutes in line to get into transition? Why have 1006 volunteers body marking and only 2 handing out chips? Why not hand out chips after people come out of transition? Big bottle neck
- Lame goodie bag. A sample of "Butt Paste" WTF is that? And no, it is not for saddle sore. It is for diaper rash. There was also a bottle (ho hum, joins the stack of them), some vitamin C tabs, and an AARP pen. Wow. At least the T-Shirt was nice.
- Please, please, PLEASE race organizers! Please do not let people into transition until after everyone is done with the bike course. I hate this! Since I am slower and younger, I am usually in one of the last waves and one of the last ones off the bike course. Nothing is worse than having to navigate around someone who is packing up their shit to leave and is exhausted from completing their race. I know if you're the first ones done, it sucks to have to sit around and wait for the slow pokes like me. But come on, race organizers! Give me the same opportunity to finish a race without having to dodge people who aren't paying attention!

I was planning on doing Zion next week and the Fleet Feet Super Spint in 2 weeks, but given my poor physical condition and my bad attitude as of late, I'm going to call it a season and start preparing for a snowshoe marathon I'm competing in this winter. I can't wait for next summer. Hopefully my health problems will be better this winter so I can prepare in a more organized fashion.

Last updated: 2005-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:34 | 437 yards | 03m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/47
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
HR was at 154
Suit: 1 piece tri suit
Course: This was an "M" shape in Centennial Beach. It was about 100 meters out, in 50 meters, back out 50 meters, and 100 yards to shore. This is a former rock quarry, and more of a "pool" than a beach. I have raced here before and really like this pool, because the 50 yards closest to shore are only 4 feet deep, which lets me take a break if I'm struggling.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:37 | 12.4 miles | 14.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/47
Performance: Bad
Avg HR at 156
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: I've done this course 4 times now (twice for this event, twice for the Reebok Women's Tri held at the same venue). It's a looped course. I've ALWAYS had trouble with this course. Can't tell you why, because it's pretty much flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:01 | 03.1 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/47
Performance: Average
HR was in the 160s. Slowed down to a walk whenever it exceeded 165.
Course: Nice run through the park, around the neighborhood, and finishing again in the park. There is one hill that I find tough (probably why the knees hurt today!). Water at transition, the 1 and 2 mile mark.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2005-08-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: #225581

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

Hi Kate! Nice race!!! I've raced that venue (with Reebok) several times now... I know what you mean about the bike course... something just NOT quite right... HOWEVER... you should take EXTREME pride in turning your bike odometer over 1000! That's awesome!

And the kind of distraction I like every time! Be proud of yourself! You did well!!! Hopefully I'll be seeing you around some of the local races next year!! Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-08-15 8:21 PM
in reply to: #225581

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Nice race! I was there as well... and as far as the bike course goes, I'm pretty sure it was 13.8 miles, not 12.4. Same exact course as the Reebok this year (like you said), and they bill theirs as 13.8 (and plus, my bike computer said 13.79 - so I'm going with it). That would put your bike time more in line with what you thought you did.

And was it just me, or did it ALWAYS feel like a headwind out there (despite the fact that there was virtually no breeze all day??)??????

Way to go with getting through the race -- I know how easy it is to bag a race even before it starts (been there, done that), so I'm impressed that you made it out. That means so much more than missing your goal by a measly 0:43!! You did awesome!!

2005-08-16 6:49 AM
in reply to: #225972

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Thanks for the kind words, all!

StartingToTri - 2005-08-15 7:21 PM

And was it just me, or did it ALWAYS feel like a headwind out there (despite the fact that there was virtually no breeze all day??)??????

YES!!!! I've noticed this everytime I have done this route. Especially on the back half of the loop once you get off of 75th St. It feels like you hit a brick wall. How can such a flat course be so slow?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed