Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-03-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3402058

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: RE: Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid)
SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-17 11:40 AM

As far as the concerns with "manpower" availability of implementing solutions. Really? All the librarian would have to do is refer to a list of which kids have permission from their parents to check out books on their own. Doesn't seem to labor intensive to me.

• ..i went to an elementary school with close to 1,000 students... Yes, collecting, tabulating, and checking the lists for each student surely would not be labor intensive...

• 2011-03-17 11:46 AM
    in reply to: #3402036

User image

Veteran
    Chicago Area

I'm sorry Yanti I can't come up with a system at my desk this morning.  I'll be honest I never really thought of this issue prior to the OP.  My son has never brought a book home I've questioned.  But I am at the school tomorrow night for a Fun Fair (I know you're jealous).  I will ask some questions and find out how it's done at our school.  I need to educate myself a bit more on the issue, maybe we already have a system in place, I hope so.

Edited by Bmel 2011-03-17 11:48 AM
    2011-03-17 11:49 AM
    in reply to: #3402065

User image

Master
    Des Moines, Iowa
    TheSchwamm - 2011-03-17 11:44 AM

SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-17 11:40 AM

As far as the concerns with "manpower" availability of implementing solutions. Really? All the librarian would have to do is refer to a list of which kids have permission from their parents to check out books on their own. Doesn't seem to labor intensive to me.

• ..i went to an elementary school with close to 1,000 students... Yes, collecting, tabulating, and checking the lists for each student surely would not be labor intensive...

• Modern technology makes these things pretty easy. My kids have all been in high schools with 1500 kids or more. We sign off on all kinds of things at registration and the information get's entered into their profile. Pull up their name and voila...

2011-03-17 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
    Houston

TheSchwamm - 2011-03-17 11:44 AM
    SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-17 11:40 AM As far as the concerns with "manpower" availability of implementing solutions. Really? All the librarian would have to do is refer to a list of which kids have permission from their parents to check out books on their own. Doesn't seem to labor intensive to me.
    ...i went to an elementary school with close to 1,000 students... Yes, collecting, tabulating, and checking the lists for each student surely would not be labor intensive...

That was my thought as well. Each kid has a list?

I think if you have concerns volunteer in the library. Recommend books to your child.

If you are unhappy with what is/is not allowed tell your child to stop checking out books and get them yourself.

2011-03-17 11:53 AM

User image

Science Nerd
    Redwood City, California

TheSchwamm - 2011-03-17 12:44 PM
    SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-17 11:40 AM As far as the concerns with "manpower" availability of implementing solutions. Really? All the librarian would have to do is refer to a list of which kids have permission from their parents to check out books on their own. Doesn't seem to labor intensive to me.
    ...i went to an elementary school with close to 1,000 students... Yes, collecting, tabulating, and checking the lists for each student surely would not be labor intensive...

Especially given that librarians are being cut from school libraries along with the new budgets.

2011-03-17 11:56 AM
    in reply to: #3402037

User image

Champion
    Tacoma, Washington
    trinnas - 2011-03-17 9:26 AM
    briderdt - 2011-03-17 12:20 PM
    Bmel - 2011-03-17 9:09 AM
    TriAya - 2011-03-17 10:56 AM
    Bmel - 2011-03-18 12:49 AM

I understand that there are 1000's of books in an elementry school library, but I do expect someone to know what is in every book and not the teacher. 

The school library could put a little color sticker on each book for what would be age appropriate, not a perfect system but something. 

My son can't can't rated R videos, rated R games from a store, but can walk into the school library and borrow any book he wants.  That doesn't seem right to me.

Okay. That's one suggestion.

Who, or what, might thoroughly know the contents of every single book in the library?

Who, or what, and how, might decide what is age appropriate?

Who, or what, and how, sees to it that no child of inappropriate age can get that book out of the library?

There should be someone in charge of the library, who puts the books back on the shelf, when a book falls apart who throws it out.  Someone should be in charge of the library and that same person is the one who checks the books out.  A child can't just walk into the library and decide to take a book.  When my son doesn't turn his books back in on time the school they let me know very quickly.

If nobody knows what is in the books, then there could be inappropriate material for all ages of the school.  So I would say, someone should definitly know what is on the shelf.

I would be fine with the education system deciding on age appropriateness for a book and I would ask them to caution on not letting a child check out a book if it's borderline.  If the school tells my son he can not borrow a book, and he asks me about it, then I can talk to him about it, look at the book and I would get him the book if I feel it's appropriate.

This is a great thread, it is really making me wonder how my our elementry school handles and I am going to look into it.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, there should be some one in charge of the child, called a parent.

I am sure the school would love that, a parent for every child in school with them all day long.

Do you seriously think that "responsible" means you have to be within eyesight at all times?

2011-03-17 11:57 AM
    in reply to: #3401821

User image

Master
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Sorry, I don't buy the "manpower issue". Check a box on a form, put it in the kids profile, and you have it. Anyone with a child in school knows that keeping track of student information is probably cumbersome; but manageable with technology. Shoot, my last two highschoolers had school issued laptops. They check their grades and homework assignments online. No big deal.
    2011-03-17 11:57 AM
    in reply to: #3402058

User image

Melon Presser

SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-18 1:40 AM  I think some people have listed solutions above.

Yes. They include talking to the principal, talking to the librarian, talking to the teacher, putting colored stickers on every single book in the library.

What I'm not seeing is HOW these solutions would work. Nobody's said what they would say to a school official, or what their proposal would be, or how that proposal would work. Not even for one student, much less the entire elementary school student body and library.

I propose every single parent or guardian reads every single book in the elementary school library, electronically submits a list of which ones his/her child(ren) may read, and either donates time or money to see that all the lists are compiled and that the books are electronically or otherwise labeled and identified in a computer (if the library has a computer system) with respect to each child's allowed list.

That's a solution. There's no way I would even try to explain HOW it's possible or how it would work, because clearly, it wouldn't.

One solution is that for any assignments where a student has to choose a book, the parent is given the option to take their child to the public library or bookstore and pick out a book with them. That way the parent has the responsibility for guiding their child's selection of reading material.

Sure, but that's a solution to an issue that hasn't come up anywhere in this thread yet.

2011-03-17 12:04 PM
    in reply to: #3402085

User image

Master
    Des Moines, Iowa
    TriAya - 2011-03-17 11:57 AM

SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-18 1:40 AM  I think some people have listed solutions above.

Yes. They include talking to the principal, talking to the librarian, talking to the teacher, putting colored stickers on every single book in the library.

What I'm not seeing is HOW these solutions would work. Nobody's said what they would say to a school official, or what their proposal would be, or how that proposal would work. Not even for one student, much less the entire elementary school student body and library.

I propose every single parent or guardian reads every single book in the elementary school library, electronically submits a list of which ones his/her child(ren) may read, and either donates time or money to see that all the lists are compiled and that the books are electronically or otherwise labeled and identified in a computer (if the library has a computer system) with respect to each child's allowed list.

That's a solution. There's no way I would even try to explain HOW it's possible or how it would work, because clearly, it wouldn't.

One solution is that for any assignments where a student has to choose a book, the parent is given the option to take their child to the public library or bookstore and pick out a book with them. That way the parent has the responsibility for guiding their child's selection of reading material.

Sure, but that's a solution to an issue that hasn't come up anywhere in this thread yet.

The issue is children selecting books that a parent does not approve - whether for "free reading time" or "assignments". If I understand the original post correctly.

Thus, my solution means that the parent would be involved with every book a child needs to select for free reading in school or assignments. Kind of like being notified if you child is going to sit in a sex ed clas and you would rather be the one discussing that with them as opposed to the school.

Check a box on a form, put it in the child's profile.
    2011-03-17 12:05 PM

Master
    Charlotte, NC
    I think it's much ado about nothing personally.  What if the librarian restricted a child's access to something more "educational"?  If someone told a child they were too young to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" we would be livid.  I do not believe it is a school's job to censor children's books and that is what this book is.  If your child comes home with it and you want to censor, be my guest.  But I do not see that as the school's responsibility in any form.
    2011-03-17 12:14 PM
    in reply to: #3402096

User image

Expert
    Broadlands

tricrazy - 2011-03-17 1:05 PM I think it's much ado about nothing personally.  What if the librarian restricted a child's access to something more "educational"?  If someone told a child they were too young to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" we would be livid.  I do not believe it is a school's job to censor children's books and that is what this book is.  If your child comes home with it and you want to censor, be my guest.  But I do not see that as the school's responsibility in any form.

that's a valid argument, and one that has been mentioned in the thread, BUT, they kids check out library books, keep them in the desk at school and read them in free reading time.  I was just lucky I guess my son had not read it and had brought it home day 1.  otherwise he could have had those books in his desk and been reading them in school.

Now I have to say i think I did OK by my son and acted responsibly as a parent, but if he kept it in school and I had no idea what book he had checked out, how am I supposed to monitor that?  Do I wait for possible issues to come, then determine the cause, then council him, sorry, damage is done by that time.  the school surely has to have some responsibility in this, I 100% agree the parent of any child has to be ultimately responsible, I chose the school, I chose where we live because of the school and it's capabilities, I trusted the school to make sound decisions on my behalf when he is in their care.  I feel they did not meet this last point.  

2011-03-17 12:20 PM
    in reply to: #3402116

User image

Champion
    Tacoma, Washington
    dewybuck - 2011-03-17 10:14 AM

tricrazy - 2011-03-17 1:05 PM I think it's much ado about nothing personally.  What if the librarian restricted a child's access to something more "educational"?  If someone told a child they were too young to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" we would be livid.  I do not believe it is a school's job to censor children's books and that is what this book is.  If your child comes home with it and you want to censor, be my guest.  But I do not see that as the school's responsibility in any form.

that's a valid argument, and one that has been mentioned in the thread, BUT, they kids check out library books, keep them in the desk at school and read them in free reading time.  I was just lucky I guess my son had not read it and had brought it home day 1.  otherwise he could have had those books in his desk and been reading them in school.

Now I have to say i think I did OK by my son and acted responsibly as a parent, but if he kept it in school and I had no idea what book he had checked out, how am I supposed to monitor that?  Do I wait for possible issues to come, then determine the cause, then council him, sorry, damage is done by that time.  the school surely has to have some responsibility in this, I 100% agree the parent of any child has to be ultimately responsible, I chose the school, I chose where we live because of the school and it's capabilities, I trusted the school to make sound decisions on my behalf when he is in their care.  I feel they did not meet this last point.  

And I seriously think the main lesson your son learned through all this is to do exactly as you said -- he checks it out of the library and keeps it at school.

"Damage"? We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

2011-03-17 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
    Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
    dewybuck - 2011-03-17 12:14 PM

Did they know what your expectation was as it related to this book before he checked it out?  If not, then again, the responsibility falls on you to inform them, not their responsibility to determine if you would think it is acceptable or not.
    2011-03-17 12:51 PM
    in reply to: #3402082

User image

Champion
    Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
    briderdt - 2011-03-17 12:56 PM

I understand that there are 1000's of books in an elementry school library, but I do expect someone to know what is in every book and not the teacher. 

The school library could put a little color sticker on each book for what would be age appropriate, not a perfect system but something. 

My son can't can't rated R videos, rated R games from a store, but can walk into the school library and borrow any book he wants.  That doesn't seem right to me.

Who, or what, might thoroughly know the contents of every single book in the library?

Who, or what, and how, sees to it that no child of inappropriate age can get that book out of the library?

There should be someone in charge of the library, who puts the books back on the shelf, when a book falls apart who throws it out.  Someone should be in charge of the library and that same person is the one who checks the books out.  A child can't just walk into the library and decide to take a book.  When my son doesn't turn his books back in on time the school they let me know very quickly.

If nobody knows what is in the books, then there could be inappropriate material for all ages of the school.  So I would say, someone should definitly know what is on the shelf.

I would be fine with the education system deciding on age appropriateness for a book and I would ask them to caution on not letting a child check out a book if it's borderline.  If the school tells my son he can not borrow a book, and he asks me about it, then I can talk to him about it, look at the book and I would get him the book if I feel it's appropriate.

This is a great thread, it is really making me wonder how my our elementry school handles and I am going to look into it.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, there should be some one in charge of the child, called a parent.

I am sure the school would love that, a parent for every child in school with them all day long.

Do you seriously think that "responsible" means you have to be within eyesight at all times?

How exactly am I in charge if the authority figures at school say it's OK again what if the book is to be read at school and not come home where is my say then?  The point is in school the school is supposed to be in charge of them!

2011-03-17 1:10 PM
    in reply to: #3402094

User image

Melon Presser

SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-18 2:04 AM The issue is children selecting books that a parent does not approve - whether for "free reading time" or "assignments". If I understand the original post correctly. Thus, my solution means that the parent would be involved with every book a child needs to select for free reading in school or assignments. Kind of like being notified if you child is going to sit in a sex ed clas and you would rather be the one discussing that with them as opposed to the school. Check a box on a form, put it in the child's profile.

Okay. So on one issue (that was brought up by the OP--free reading, not for assignment), basically, the solution is either the child can check books out of the library or not. I'd agree, that's one checkbox, an additional hassle, but doable. I'm not sure how many schools would be willing to add that as an option, but it is a workable solution.

Now, on this other issue you brought up--if the child needs books for an assignment, the above solution would still work.

If I misinterpreted what you said, please let me know, because I'm not sure what "the parent would be involved with every book a child needs to select for free reading in school or assignments" means.

2011-03-17 1:13 PM

User image

Melon Presser
    dewybuck - 2011-03-18 2:14 AM

Fair enough. But you haven't specified what exactly the school's responsibility is, and how it should be implemented (either for your child or all the children at the school).

Explaining that would also explain exactly how you felt they did not meet your last point.

2011-03-17 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
    Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
    I find it interesting that we can tell a child what he/she can and cannot wear in school but not what library books he/she may or may not check out.
    2011-03-17 1:17 PM
    in reply to: #3402069

User image

Melon Presser
    Bmel - 2011-03-18 1:46 AM

I'm sorry Yanti I can't come up with a system at my desk this morning.  I'll be honest I never really thought of this issue prior to the OP.  My son has never brought a book home I've questioned.  But I am at the school tomorrow night for a Fun Fair (I know you're jealous).  I will ask some questions and find out how it's done at our school.  I need to educate myself a bit more on the issue, maybe we already have a system in place, I hope so.

Heh. I actually am jealous. If your kids are anything like you, it'd be a hoot doing anything with them. Of course the little one is still a baby ...

Anyhow, honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to come up with a system or solutions quickly. I'm positing that a systemic solution isn't possible (there might be one for this individual child, but no one's put forth any specifics on that, either). But I could be wrong.

Hey, I love a good debate. I genuinely appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread. For me, the greater issue here is education/literacy, and I think that may be one of the most important issues on Earth.

2011-03-17 1:17 PM
    in reply to: #3402263

User image

Melon Presser

trinnas - 2011-03-18 3:14 AM I find it interesting that we can tell a child what he/she can and cannot wear in school but not what library books he/she may or may not check out.

I'm also wondering if there are parallels in this discussion as to what a school cafeteria can/cannot should/should not serve.

2011-03-17 1:18 PM
    in reply to: #3402134

User image

Expert
    Broadlands
    briderdt - 2011-03-17 1:20 PM
    dewybuck - 2011-03-17 10:14 AM

And I seriously think the main lesson your son learned through all this is to do exactly as you said -- he checks it out of the library and keeps it at school.

"Damage"? We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

On this one I am going to disagree....maybe in hope...but disagree non the less.  Here's why:

If I had taken the books and simply refused him permission to read them, sure, he would likely want to read them and would find a way to do it.

but

I took the books to one side, discussed them and their content with him, and WE decided they were not appropriate.  I hope the lesson he takes away from this is his dad is interested and involved in his school, reading and choices and has his back.  We will see how it plays out.

2011-03-17 1:23 PM
    in reply to: #3402209

User image

Pro
    St Charles, IL
    trinnas - 2011-03-17 12:51 PM
    briderdt - 2011-03-17 12:56 PM

How exactly am I in charge if the authority figures at school say it's OK again what if the book is to be read at school and not come home where is my say then?  The point is in school the school is supposed to be in charge of them!

Clearly, the correct solution is for the school to not let children read any books, since it is impossible for them to know in advance what each individual parent will deem "inappropriate" for their child.

Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Scary-Stories-Tell-Alvin-Schwartz/dp/0060835206/

Noting that the child in question is 7, which is less than the 9-12 range listed, but also noting that they were advanced a grade, is it *really* that inappropriate that this type of reaction is called for? 

2011-03-17 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
    Columbus, Ohio
    So is it because of the pictures? Did you read any of the stories?

If it is the pictures the newer versions of the books have removed much of the original artwork that you posted.
    2011-03-17 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
    Thanks, now I won't be able to sleep tonight.
    in reply to: #3402277

User image

Master
    Toronto
    Bronze member
    TriAya - 2011-03-17 2:17 PM

trinnas - 2011-03-18 3:14 AM I find it interesting that we can tell a child what he/she can and cannot wear in school but not what library books he/she may or may not check out.

I'm also wondering if there are parallels in this discussion as to what a school cafeteria can/cannot should/should not serve.

It's interesting - maybe i am not seeing it but the books come from somewhere. I am sure there's a librarian either at the school or the board who orders the books for the school(s).   The elementary school library is probably one of the safer places to let your child go explore literature.  Generally, it all should be vetted (at one point or another) and determined to be appropriate for the age range - though the age range is quite broad.  But perhaps they don't have a good system for reviewing what is already in the collection - this particular book has been in circulation since 1981 ... maybe just pointing it out to the school may give the attention to it and have it removed if that's what you want ...

It sounds like the OP's child is advanced and likely his reading comprehension is above his age.  I remember my own elementary school library had the chapter books separate from the kids' picture books ... so some attempt is made to categorize ...

User image

Veteran
    Colleyville, TX
    holy crap they still read those! I used to hate those when i was your sons age, they used to terrify me, our teacher used to play audio book version of them which are creepier cause they add creepy voices and sounds...cruel people.
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  

of 6