TRIBC
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 51s
Overall Rank = 21/49
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Friday, picked up my race packet! Sweet, a water bottle and my shirt! Which I found strange that everybody can have and the finishers don't have finisher on it. Wake up early get my coffee and bagels in me. Drive to the site and put my bike on the rack. While putting my bike in the rack look up and see...CBASS. Said hello and she came and racked beside me. The morning was chilly and foggy. Race got delayed by 30 mins. I ate my powerbar and body glided up.
Event warmup:

Not much, just walking around and talking. Did some shoulder drills and thats about it. Should have jumped in the water to get used to swiming with an Iceblock where my head should have been.
Swim
  • 43m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was long. I can not believe how damn cold it was. I hit the water and said, what the hell am I doing. My head became an instant pain. I had trouble keeping my head in the water. I thought My second 750 was awesome I passed about 3 people on that loop that I seen. Drafting was hard because there were only a few people in the water. Salt water sucks to actually in hale a bit. On the final loop coming toward the exit my right calf cramped up bad. I screamed under the water. I might get a complaint from the fish at all the obsenities I was screaming. Came out of the water well. Had troble with the cap but that is ok.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water so I can see how damn cold it actually is!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Long damn run to the transition. I lost all my gels' save one. I had to rinse my mouth out with water. I was damn dizzy at my bike and had trouble taking off my suit. But I recoverd pretty quickly and got out fairly fast.

Get my wits together faster.
But I was like ice when I got out of the swim.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 17s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.66 km/hr
Comments:

My right calf that cramped up was killing me the entire bike ride. Could not get power up too much when going up hills so slowed to 20 k going up hill. PISSED OFF. The race card came up on me one time and while I was fixing it I hit a pot hole and hit the saddle hard with my unmentionables. I saw a bit of stars and it was hard to breathe but I kept pedaling. Race official asked if I was ok about 200 meters later and I said yes. I guess my face must have been hideious!

Watch where the hell I am going when riding.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Someone had put there bike in my spot. I had to get 2 people to move out of my way so I could even get to my spot. Had to move the bike then rack mine. I could not rack mine exactly where I wanted and ended up going over my race area. JERKS!
But after that I got it all together.
Joked with an official about my balancing act. She said ballerina! I said now rodeo Clown!

Not much I could have done differntly.

Run
  • 1h 00m 42s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Comments:

This race was hard. I can not believe the race. I came off the bike and grabed a water. I got a sidestich right away and my calf stopped aching.
Then I seen my family on the sides and waved. I felt like crap the first lap. Grabbed another water....Should not have. I was feeling the stitch comeback as I did that. Soo then I quit drinking fluid and my times went up by 2 mins per lap the 3rd and 2:30 the last. I sprinted to the finish and was rewarded by seeing my family and CBASS.

Not drink as much water. Walk up the great big hill as it did not seem to matter how fast you went I never caught up to the person infront of me when I ran up the hill and they walked.
Post race
Warm down:

A bit of post run stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramp. stitch. Lack of GU.

Event comments:

This race was too hard for me. It was very poorly organized.
They need to get chips for more acurate timing.
If you think it was not the overall finisher was at 2:33:51 and I was only 28 or 29 mins behind this guy.
I think the long transition from the swim was hell. Lots of people got their feet cut me included but not as bad as some.
Hope they get better, but I will never do this race again.

Last updated: 2005-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:35 | 1500 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 22/49
Performance: Average
This was inflated due to the fact that the swim was longer than 1500. As soon as they have the actual length I will post it. It also included about a 200 meter run to the transition over logs and down a gravel road and the overall transition. I hit my watch at 40 mins when I came out of the water soooo. I had a fabulous transition
Suit: ORCA S1 Speed suit.
Course: Double 750+ M Loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 51F / 11C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:17 | 40 kms | 30.66 km/hr
Overall: 22/49
This included the whole transition again. So Probably a bit faster.
Wind: None
Course: Very scenic. Come up a big hill out of transition and you got no time to work up speed to help you. Some rough areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:42 | 10 kms | 06m 04s  min/km
Overall: 20/49
This was a hard up and down course. And included the transition
Course: Run was hard. You started on pavement. Went down a little flight of steps, jumped off the pier onto the sand. then jumped over a log and onto the hard packed sand. Then you went through the sand up a little flight of stairs and then you go up a very very steep hill. After that you go down for a while and up at the turnaround and back up the hills. Then you go down for the end till you are on the finishing stretch which is flat. You do this 4 times!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: Cadboro Bay Triathlon
I forgot to mention. When I received my packet, I was issued the number 10. I told them that they should give me something like a hundred and ten. They were not very receptive so I told them that when people see 10, they will think I am good!!! Well, they told me that was the price I had to pay for registering early!
Damn me for being organized!

Edited by Crazypop 2005-08-15 2:44 PM

2005-08-15 3:09 PM
in reply to: #225719

User image

Vancouver,BC
Subject: RE: Cadboro Bay Triathlon
Damn there were a lot of damns in that - you sound pretty damned annoyed. Doesn't appear they put much thought into the damn run part if you are hurdling damn logs and damn stairs - a damn nuisance if you ask me. I guess if every damn race you did was damn awesome, you'd never be able to know when you had a damn good one! Great damn effort overall comrade!
2005-08-15 11:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Wow, what a race! I think you totally kicked butt considering what we went through. I don't ever want to do a swim that cold or a run that hilly again- lol! It was worth doing the race, just to meet you and your family
2005-08-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: #226074

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Hey Dan,

That sounds like quite the race.  It will make you appreciate your next one more.

Despite your "injury" you still had a great bike average.  I can't believe that they made you stay in that cold water for longer than 1500 metres.  Damn!

Anyway it must have been nice to race with your family there watching and you said it.  It was all worth it in the end.  Want to do the Pacific Spirit Tri on Sept. 18?

Jen

2005-08-16 2:48 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

Wow!  Sounds like a tough race.  You had your work cut out for you.  Hope you still had some fun despite all the obstacles.  Great job despite all the trials.

55 degree water temps?  Good grief!  I was swimming in 88 degree water on Sunday wishing it was cooler.  But, 55 is "damn" cold.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cadboro Bay Triathlon Rss Feed