General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Juan, PR
Puerto Rico
BNSports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 24s
Overall Rank = /1554
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 5/37
Pre-race routine:

up at 4. liquid breakfast. ensure and gel. coffee. sipped on HEED until race with CGP. 2 Race Day Boost. had an upset stomach from the last couple of days.
Event warmup:

no real warmup. just arm circles and stretching. I did use Kip's triggerpoint on my feet and calfs because I tended to cramp a little on longer swims. must've worked
Swim
  • 38h 04m
  • 2078 yards
  • 1h 49m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

as always, I'm hesitant to go out hard. wasn't slow, just need to pick it up a little. Swam fairly well. Need to improve my kick is the next progression. also, swim fearless! In other words, go out strong and stay strong. I shouldve swum 10 sec. faster per hundred

PR for 70.3 swim, and no wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

get a speedsuit maybe. try to draft more. get with someone and swim hard
Transition 1
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

Good news is I was 2/37 in T1. long 1/4 mile run to Transition. passed a lot of people. had to put tri top on wet, so it stuck on back. other than that T1 went well. shoes tied in etc. ran well ahead of mount line, just too many people so I actually ran another 15 yards, not knowing I flatted in T1! I think it's because I inflated to 120. usually do 110. Lesson 1: DO NOT OVERINFLATE. so as I'm changing my flat people are cheering me on. took me 7 minutes per my FR 50 watch. had the where with all to lap it so I knew how long I was taking. get on my bike, and everyone is now really cheering. Pop!

lesson 2: LEARN HOW TO CHANGE A TIRE and not pinch the tube.

2nd flat. I really felt bad for these people! you could hear the wind get knocked out of them. they were moaning! how sweet. great great spectators. after I got it changed, they really didn't know whether to cheer or not!

Lesson 3: bring 3 tubes. I was crapping myself that I would DNF with another flat. but alas, i was off. (after about an 11 minute loss)

practice changing tires more. inflate to 110. bring 3 tubes.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 20s
  • 55.92 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

felt like I was having a good bike. tried to pace well so not to spend legs for the run. felt fairly strong. stayed aero. Road was rough so I wound up losing both bottles, and my Anti-Fatigue caps were jettisoned.

Got my first penalty. Drafting and I didn't even know it. won't do that again. passed the last aid station which was right immediately before the penalty tent because I saw water there. fyi, it's for the volunteers. they cannot give you water in the penalty tent. what this meant was I had to do the final 15 or so miles WITHOUT HYDRATION. that was really in my head. I thought of stopping and picking up stray bottles on the road. how pathetic! I slowed my pace to not overexert

Lesson 4: learn the rules. if someone passes you and slows, you can't keep your head down and keep your pace. you got 20 seconds to SLOW DOWN. given the situation, just thought this was a little strict.

study the aid stations. don't take it for granted they will be strategically placed.

overall I had a good bike. subtract the 15 minutes lost to flat/penalty and the slowed pace due to hydration issues, and I had a good bike. all my fault of course. but the legs were there.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

made sure to spray on suntan lotion.

bring SPF lip balm. forgot endurolytes...again.
Run
  • 2h 08m 54s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a decent run. My calves were wrecked from a lack of hydration on the bike, so I had to manage cramping early on. To make matter worse, I left my Endurolytes on the bike, and my Anti-Fatigue caps were jettisoned on the bumpy roads. Prayed a lot and stopped to stretch left calf, and yes, it went away enough so to not walk the race.

Managed it well. Nutrition was good, I even passed a couple of aid stations because I felt sufficiently hydrated. I wore a Fuel Belt which was no help because my protein mix went putrid in transition. I had to pour them out.

Had to walk the steep hills, but on lap 2, I saw NO ONE attempting to run them.

limited ice, but ran with hands in cups again. love this. pouring cold water on head. better than sponges.

just powder in fuel belt. add liquid on run.
keep feet dry, no drenching with water. just gets me wet, doesn't cool

Post race
Warm down:

post race was awesome. they had it all...music food icebaths massages.
got a massage after scarfing 3 pieces of pizza

Event comments:

I really loved this event. the people were out everywhere. I felt like a pro! great location, swag, food, entertainment. a must do.

Last updated: 2011-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
38:04:00 | 2078 yards | 1h 49m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/37
Overall: 426/1554
Performance: Average
i can be at least 10 seconds faster per hundred.
Suit: none
Course: beautiful swim course in Condado lagoon. water was very salty which took adjusting. taking in that kind of water gets used to. it was relatively straight out and back which made sighting very easy. water was clear and you could see the bottom, fish etc. last 1/4 was very rough, with ocean swells and swift current
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:55:20 | 55.92 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/37
Overall: 496/1554
Performance: Good
BIKE SPLIT 1 - 20.8 mi 20.8 mi. (58:53) 21.19 mph BIKE SPLIT 2 - 37.2 mi 16.4 mi. (50:14) 19.59 mph BIKE SPLIT 3 - 56 mi 18.8 mi. (1:06:23) 16.99 mph TOTAL BIKE 56 mi. (2:55:30) 19.15 mph 496 58
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: another beautiful course. windy with some hills. road condition was generally good, but there were stretchs that had a lot of potholes so you had to watch the road. no aid stations after mile 40 or so.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:08:54 | 13.05 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/37
Overall: 423/1554
RUN SPLIT 1 - 3.45 mi 3.45 mi. (32:15) 9:20/mile RUN SPLIT 2 - 6.52 mi 3.07 mi. (31:07) 10:08/mile RUN SPLIT 3 - 9.65 mi 3.13 mi. (31:49) 10:09/mile RUN SPLIT 4 - 13.1 mi 3.45 mi. (33:43) 9:46/mile TOTAL RUN 13.1 mi. (2:08:54) 9:50/mile 423 38
Course: As I said, it was BRUTAL-FUL! Never have I been surrounded by so much beautiful ocean and historic charm, yet been in brutal pain. The hills in Old Town San Juan were borderline unfair. I loved it. Here's what the website says..."The run course will take athletes on a 13.1 mile (21 km) run through the city of Old San Juan. Runners will make their way through the northern part of the islet with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean, running past 16th century Spanish architecture on their way to reach the turn around point at the entrance of the famous Fort San Felipe del Morro. This 16th century citadel, constructed to protect the town from attack by sea, is one of the highlights of any tour of the old city, a rocky web of tunnels and barracks, towers and prisons. Probably the most famous monument from Spanish colonial times, the fortress stands out on a rocky islet, forever a reminder of a different age. Runners will return to the transition area to start the second and final loop"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-03-20 10:38 PM

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Subject: Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico

2011-03-22 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3406104

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico
Nice race despite many challenges!!!  Awesome job not letting it get you down!
2011-03-23 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3409604

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
hahaha!  love the hobby quote!
2011-03-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3406104

User image

Really enjoyed this report. Pretty good and full of tips for those out there that take luck for granted. Like you, I lost one of my bottles, unlike you, on the return lap I did stop on the side of the road to pick up a couple of water bottles I saw with some water. Definitely worth the 30secs I lost. It saved my day. This was a an excellent race: hard, challenging and a lot of fun. Couldn't agree with you more on spectators. They MADE this race. At several locations during the run I was offered beer by some of these enthusiasts. That cracked me up. It was about 1100am and many appeared to be drinking since early one, nevertheless, their cheering and enthusiasm towards the athletes was superb. I remember a lady buying a couple of bags of ice with her own money to hand out to the runners at the bottom of the brick hill right before heading out into the bay trail. That lady became a hero as far as everyone was concerned. Looking forward to next year's. I'll definitely train more for those hills. I want to at least be able to run up one of them. Thanks for the report.

Ray
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico Rss Feed