General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Bike Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-16 3:01 AM

User image

Subject: First Bike Advice
I moved recently, leaving the aged Huffy MB 300 miles behind (it didn’t fit on the truck so I donated it to someone who really needed it). Being in a new area I don’t know anyone well enough to borrow some wheels… so it looks like I am going to be buying a replacement. Do I:

a) cross my eyes and cough up $300 for a used road bike at LBS?
b) visit Wally World/Dick’s/other retail chain and pick up a narrower-tire MB for ~$100 and then scrape the pennies together for next Spring for something real?

When I visited my LBS I fell in love with the Specialized Allez Triple… but the $700 probably isn’t going to happen anytime in the immediate future. (My new job is good, but not quite money-laundering good.)

(I’m probably going to start riding whatever I end up with to work – a 7.2 mi commute.)

I think option b) is going to end up happening but I wanted input from some more experienced peeps – I’m really new to the biking world, and my spidey-senses are telling me option b) might be a waste of cash in the long run.

Thanks!

2005-08-17 9:39 AM
in reply to: #226110

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: First Bike Advice

You have spidey-sense? Cool!

I'm not the veteran you are looking for; rather, I'm in the same boat you are: a) used, b) entry level new, or (because I'm a sucker for gear), option c) more expensive new.

I'm just gathering information now, but I'm having a difficult time finding quality used bikes out here in the sticks, so it looks like b or c for me.

b: Trek 1000 (adding aero bars and pedals, probably in the $750 range)
c: Trek 1500 or better, $1500 or so.

I'm leaning towards the trek because the only LBS available to me is a trek dealer -- and local is a relative term, it's 20 miles to him and another 40 miles or more to someone larger.

2005-08-17 8:45 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
FWIW, I too recently faced the same problem ... they way I talked myself out of the woods of indecision was that I did not want to waste the money required for what was essentially going to be a throw away bike.

As you can upgrade a decent frame piece by piece, buy a used road bike with decent, working components - even if it is 10 years old. (Garage sales are not a bad option nor are "Play It Again Sports" or pawn shops) Then develop a relationship with your LBS as they will be the people who will tune it, replace/upgrade parts and so forth.

Every once in a while there will be a fire sale on components (E-bay has them occassionally). This will enable you to grow into the bike and forestall making that BIG purchase (a tri bike).

Just $0.02 from the peanut gallery
2005-08-18 8:41 AM

New user
StupidMonkey, If your buying a bike look at the trek...then buy a cervelo.

Now Kiteflyer you should listen to your spidey-senses. There right. It will eventually be a throw away bike BUT I would buy that bike for now and not buy another bike untill I could put at least 1k into it and get AT LEAST 105 componenets or Veloce (Campagnolo). In the long run that's probably going ot keep you happy for a much longer time that what the Specialized will and MUCH longer than what 300 bux is going to get you. I would never buy an aluminum bike after it's been used for 3 years because they only last 2-5 years. 2 years if there putting 4 thousand miles on it a year, 5 if there putting 1000 miles a year on it. Also you should look around now. A lot of shops will have sales in the fall to push out 05 models and make room for 06. Also I would never buy a bike off E-bay. It's a hit or miss kinda thing because the feel of a bike is very important and they vary greatly by bike. Good luck.
2005-08-18 2:21 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Be sure to check out end of year sales at LBS. I was able to get a Trek 1500 for $849. I had been looking at getting a hybrid for about $100 less, but this was too good of a deal to pass up.
2005-08-18 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
KiteFlyer:

As you can see, a lot of us went ahead and drank the kool-aid by taking the $800+ dollar plunge (I got a Bianchi Imola w/ Shimano 105's + a sweet wheel set) ... but that does not mean that you have to (yet).

From what I ahve heard, the end of season is also a great time to buy a used bike as folks are selling their bikes to help pay for whatever 2005 is being cleared out for the 2006 models or those going directly for the 2006's.

You might just be able to find a Specialized Allez in the neighborhood of $300 ... and be able to train with it all winter as you gear up for the first spring tri.

Be sure to go ahead and spring for clipless pedals + shoes. As Lance said, it is not the bike but the motor ... and your feet connect the bike to the motor!

2005-08-20 1:54 PM

User image

New user
Alberta(think texas with snow.)
LOOK AT A GIANT!

Somehow, some way, look at giant bikes. Seriously, I have yet to see their quality and price beat.
2005-08-20 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
I bought a Felt S32 for $999, whatever you do make sure you get fitted for a bike.
2005-08-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #228391

User image

huengsolo - 2005-08-18 5:16 PM

KiteFlyer:

As you can see, a lot of us went ahead and drank the kool-aid by taking the $800+ dollar plunge (I got a Bianchi Imola w/ Shimano 105's + a sweet wheel set) ... but that does not mean that you have to (yet).

From what I ahve heard, the end of season is also a great time to buy a used bike as folks are selling their bikes to help pay for whatever 2005 is being cleared out for the 2006 models or those going directly for the 2006's.

You might just be able to find a Specialized Allez in the neighborhood of $300 ... and be able to train with it all winter as you gear up for the first spring tri.

Be sure to go ahead and spring for clipless pedals + shoes. As Lance said, it is not the bike but the motor ... and your feet connect the bike to the motor!

Wow, thanks... the kool-aid was looking mighty tasty there for a while. I've got something that'll work, and I'll wait to pounce on end of season sales - private or LBS.

Thanks for the advice, SmokeEater; when I started window shopping I visited a couple of LBS that fit me but yes, I will be sure to get the right size. If there's one lesson repeated copious times at BT (and other places) is to get a good FIT.

I will be sure to add Giant and Cervelo to my shopping list. And, when I buy, I will plan on getting clipless pedals.

I now have two bikes. Here's an update:
I went garage-sale shopping this Saturday with the single goal to bring home a road bike. Friday night I listed all the multi-family sales, and anything that had "bike" in the ad. With MapQuest I used post-it notes on my city map (I bought one before I moved and it's been worth its weight in gold!) I left early Saturday morning to do my tour of town. At every stop, there were either no bikes, or kids' bikes. Finally, at my second to last stop, in all of its dusty garage-sale wonder, was a road bike. Cables work, gears work, seat needs adjustment, and the frame is one size to small (*sigh* it's only for this fall, right??) so I dropped the whopping $25 on the road-worthy gap-filler. I had emailed BF when I left; when I came back I found he had already dubbed it Earl. So I am now the owner of a cream-colored Open Road 10 speed (sold by Montgomery Ward's about 15-20 years ago) that has been named Earl Grey. (A wonderful tea if ever there was one.)

Fast forward to Sunday night (tonight). BF and I were getting in his car to go to the weight room. There are woods on the other side of my parking lot, and lo and behold, there was something in the weeds. Something Red. There was Murray Legacy that had been abandoned. It's now in my living room/kitchen/dining room. Overall, in pretty good shape - one cable frozen, one flat tire, two broken spokes, and, most importantly, one frame that is the right size. Oh, and a squishy seat.

I think between the two, I'm going to be just fine until I pounce on something bigger, badder, faster, and hopefully, Red. (I've always like red bikes.)

Thanks for the advice - I will be sure to keep these in mind when I do my "real" bike shopping. Of course, I'll have to post pictures when that day comes!! (You guys don't *really* want to se the Murray, do you?)

--KF
2005-08-22 6:39 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Hear, Hear ... pictures, pictures! How could you resist not posting a picture of bike named Earl?
Reward yourself after taking Earl to his first tri with the bike of your choice. It will be the motivation that will make the uphills a little flatter and the downhill a little longer ...
2005-08-24 8:24 AM
in reply to: #230287

User image

huengsolo - 2005-08-22 6:39 AM

Hear, Hear ... pictures, pictures! How could you resist not posting a picture of bike named Earl?
Reward yourself after taking Earl to his first tri with the bike of your choice. It will be the motivation that will make the uphills a little flatter and the downhill a little longer ...

Very well...

I would like to present, Earl (the) Grey:

Edited by KiteFlyer 2005-08-24 8:26 AM

(Earl the Grey edit2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Earl the Grey edit2.JPG (98KB - 23 downloads)

2005-08-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #232555

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Now that, my friend, is a bicycle! Have you taken it to your LBS to have it checked out/tuned-up? Given the age, the rubber on the tires or brakes may have dry rotted ... and the only time you get a flat on the road is when you are furthest from the house! (A wedge pack for under the seat with a spare tube + patch kit may not be a bad idea as well.)

Congrats on the great find!
2005-08-25 3:54 AM
in reply to: #232600

User image

Thanks, will do!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Bike Advice Rss Feed