General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Our Biggest Single Limiter: Our Weight. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-04-02 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3421639

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Our Biggest Single Limiter: Our Weight.

Weight has definitely been a big driver of performance in my experience.  I don't think it has been the only one, but as I've gone from 240 to 196, my speed on the run has continued to improve.  Part of that, of course, is that I can train better and and lower my risk of injury, and part is just having several less sacks of potatoes to haul around the course.   Where one starts and the other ends, I can't say for sure.  But to have PBs running at age 50 has been very motivating, especially since my swim times have been heading in the opposite direction as I age.  I'm still relatively slow on the run, but I'm also still improving and I think that for both health and speed, another 10-15 lbs would be good to lose.  (I'm 6'4" with a lean build)

But I also think we talk too much about weight (the goal or result) and don't focus enough on the process (exercise and better eating habits).  I think the more we focus on the latter, the healthier we will be.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Our Biggest Single Limiter: Our Weight. Rss Feed  

of 8