General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Juan,
Puerto Rico
BNSports
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 06m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/69
Pre-race routine:

I came down with a stomach bug the day before, so I basically spent the whole morning contemplating not starting, but going through the motions of setting up. I skipped the porta-potties and used the bathroom in the lobby of the hotel across the street from swim start, which were much nicer (and had no line). I sat on the grass and waited for my wave to start, and further contemplated not starting, but eventually I figured that the water was nice and it couldn't hurt to swim - I could always DNF. Needless to say, this was not the ideal head space to be in when starting a race.
Swim
  • 43m 51s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

All things considered, I feel good about this swim. It was the first open water swim I had done since August, and my siting, breathing and pacing were spot-on. I was a bit slower than I would have liked, but since I had planned for this to be a training race *and* I was sick, I was OK with that. I finished the swim feeling like I hadn't used up too much energy.
What would you do differently?:

Become a better swimmer! Other than that, nothing.
Transition 1
  • 09m 17s
Comments:

It was a quarter-mile plus run on asphalt, plus I had to make a pit stop in the portapotties. I decided not to rush it, since I was happy just to be feeling like I could get on the bike. So I took extra time to get my head together and try to get in some more solid food/settle my stomach.

It was a fine transition for that particular day. However, next time I would make sure to put sunscreen on my hands and wrists by my thumbs, because I got sunburned on the bike in the areas of my hands that were facing upwards while holding my aerobars.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this course - I thought the roads were nicely paved, and there was plenty of room for passing. In some other reports, people were complaining that there were too few aid stations, but that was not my experience at all - you pass an aid station four or five times on the course, and that was way more than enough for me. This is definitely a course where being aerodynamically positioned on a tri bike was a help.

I probably should have backed off more than I did. Considering I hadn't been able to eat much the day before or that morning, I may have overdone it. That said, I had a really good time, and both the other competitors and the spectators were as great as they could be.
Transition 2
  • 06m 50s
Comments:

I got off the bike, and everything came crashing down. My stomach felt crampy and everything felt weak/feverish. I purposely took a long transition to think about whether I should run, and finally determined that if I was conservative I should be able to finish. I hadn't seen the run course yet, so I had no idea it would be as hard as it was.

Nothing - other than staying far away from my boyfriend the next time he gets the stomach flu.
Run
  • 2h 51m 11s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was brutal. No part of it is flat and you are in direct sun for pretty much the entire time. I knew almost immediately it was going to be a bad run for me. Mentally I was pretty shot, and I was getting stomach cramps. I couldn't manage anything faster than a 10:30 pace at any point, and I had to walk several of the larger hills. It was brutal. But also beautiful, and challenging. I regret that I let myself get so mentally and emotionally spent before the run. But I'm glad that I finished it.

Biking or driving the run course before the race would have been useful in this case. I needed more mental preparedness/strength. I don't think it hurt that much more than anormal HIM; I just couldn't find my focus or my rhythm. I would also grab and hold ice in my hands, rather than just dumping it on my head or down my back. I might use a hat rather than a visor, to be able to put sponges or ice on my head and keep it there.
Post race
Warm down:

I found a shady spot and collapsed. I ate the crust of my boyfriend's pizza and tried to stretch. Finally talked myself into picking up my flipflops and getting my stuff out of transition. I was very glad that I used tribike transport and could just give my bike to those guys before leaving transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach flu; living in the northeast/not being used to the heat.

Event comments:

I loved this race and will definitely do it next year. The volunteers were amazing, the course was gorgeous and challenging and when you finish you're in puerto rico! I would use tribike transport again in a heartbeat. I think I'd also stay at the Hilton next year (we stayed at another hotel in Condado instead, and walking back and forth was a pain).

Last updated: 2011-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:51 | 2078 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/69
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: This was a really nice course. It's in a protected lagoon, so the water was flat and warm (not wetsuit legal). It's a point-to-point swim, but the logistics of that were not difficult at all. The current/chop picked up toward the end of the swim, but it wasn't all that bad. There was also plenty of room for each wave - there was as little shoving and swimming over people as I've seen in a race of this size.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:28 | 56 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/69
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: A few highway hills in the beginning and the end; other than that, it was flat. There was some wind, but because of the way the course is set up, sometimes it was a helpful tailwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:51:11 | 13.05 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/69
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-01 12:58 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico

2011-04-01 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3425535

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks for the report. It is hard to race when energy is low and commitment to finish is uncertain. Great job!
2011-04-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3425535

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico
way to gut it out!  I'm back again next year too.  great, beautiful race.  tops of my hands got fried too.  think I'll zinc that area next time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico Rss Feed