General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run/walk for a 1/2 IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-06 10:29 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Run/walk for a 1/2 IM?

I was reading the longest run for an IM thread and it got me thinking about the 1/2 IM I am training for. I know that a 1/2 IM is very different than a full but I have not been walking at all in my run training yet. I am about 1/2 way through the BT beginner 1/2 IM plan with my longest runs at 1.5 hours so far. One of these runs I did with a friend at a 9:15/mile pace. Today I slowed it down to a 10:00/mile pace based on the fact that I did not recover very quickly from the faster paced run.

Now, I realize that I still have 4 miles to go to reach the complete race distance. Combine that with the fact that the race I am doing has been extremely hot and humid the last couple of years. I do not tolerate the heat really great. Also I really stink at trying to take a drink from one of those little cups while I'm running. I'm pretty sure I'll be walking during the run of this race.

Should I start integrating walk breaks into my training runs for 1/2 IM distance too? How often should I be walking? Just on the longer runs? Wait until I get to the 2 hour runs (I think that is coming up soon)?

2011-04-06 11:45 PM
in reply to: #3433585

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Run/walk for a 1/2 IM?

I would keep jogging the entire distance and stick with your plan.  But that doesn't mean you have to be jogging hard.  Cruise a comfortable pace most of the time so you recover properly, as you mentioned.

By the time the race approaches, you'll start tapering and you may find yourself stronger than you expect on race day.

2011-04-07 2:50 AM

User image

, North Island

You and I run about the same pace . . . Wink

I just completed my second HIM (Aviva 70.3 in Singapore) which is in a hot and humid environment. I would strongly recommend that you walk 1 minute through every hydration stop (we had one every mile) if you (like me) don't handle heat that well. It helps your heart rate to come down, and it gives your legs a mini-break. I completed the run at an average of 10 min / mile (I know that is horrible if you are a good runner . . . but then I am not a good runner . . . aspiring to be one day . . . swimming and cycling are my strong points).

Bobby McGee (USA triathlon coach I believe) also recommends a 10 min run / 1 min walk routine. As your running base improve, you will find that you run faster and faster using the run / walk routine. Be patient with yourself, and during race day run at your pace . . . it doesn't matter how fast the others run.

BTW make sure you hydrate VERY well during the bike part of your race . . . my first HIM was in about 90% humidity in 100+ Fahrenheit . . . I didn't hydrate well, and I walked the whole run as a result . . . Smile 

Edited by blominator 2011-04-07 3:00 AM
2011-04-07 5:40 AM

User image

Expert

I would walk at every aid station, just the duration of them. Refuel and have fun. If you don't feel like you need any fuel then keep going. 

Scott

2011-04-07 6:12 AM

User image

Champion
MA

For HIMs I will run/walk.

I have used 60" walk every second mile so at mile 2, 4, 6, ect.

My best HIM run, I trained r/w and my plan was to walk the aid stations. Here are my run splits for the race. I'm not fast but given my ability I ran within 2' of my HM 2 months earlier.

RUN SPLIT 1: 3.275 mi 3.275 mi (37:09) 11:20/mi
RUN SPLIT 2: 6.55 mi 3.275 mi (37:35) 11:28/mi
RUN SPLIT 3: 9.8 mi 3.275 mi (36:57) 11:16/mi
RUN SPLIT 4: 13.1 mi 3.275 mi (37:08) 11:20/mi
TOTAL RUN 13.1 mi. (2:28:49) 11:21/mile 1031
2011-04-07 7:12 AM

User image

Bronze member
Thanks for your replies! I will use run/walk on my next long run and see what kind of pace I can manage. This is my first attempt at a 1/2 IM. I just want to find a way to get across the finish line!

2011-04-07 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
For a lot of people run/walk will net a faster overall time. I do a one minute walk (very brisk, almost a powerwalk) every mile which will usually coincide with aid stations. I usually run through to the last few people in the aid station and walk out the back. By drinking while walking you are more likely to actually consume all that you need as opposed to running with a drink and having it splash up your nose or down your chin.

For an HIM, by walking one minute at a 15 minute mile pace you will cover about .04 miles per walk or a half a mile so you've also turned your 13.1 mile run into a 12.6 mile run. I actually try to keep my walk at about a 14 minute mile pace so I really do not lose all that much time but the benefits are huge.

As far as training, you are best to continue running continuously. This will gain you the most fitness for your race. With that being said, it is still a good idea to take at least one long run and practice the run/walk. It is harder to do than you think. You will have to be disciplined to walk with you feel like you want to keep going.
2011-04-07 2:10 PM

User image

Bronze member
Thanks Steve, good advice. I am not sure what kind of pace I keep when I walk so I kind of want to experiment a little and see what happens. I'll wait until later in the plan.
2011-04-07 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3434570

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-07 10:16 PM

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

My advice as a MOP racer would be to stick with the plan you're following. If you look back a month or two and can see you've made fitness gains, then why not give it time and see where you're at on race day. Over the years, I've trained both ways....with and without walk breaks during my long runs. My experience was that before I had much of a base and started following established training plans, I needed the walks be able to complete my long runs and not absolutely toast myself. Part of the issue for me back then was I read some of the Galloway books and followed bits & pieces of his advice. If you're going to do a Galloway style plan with low weekly volume but high percentage long runs, then I think taking the rest of his advice and using a walk/run method is critical. However, if you follow a more conventional approach and keep your long runs down to a lower percentage of total weekly miles, then I think the walks are probably unnecessary. For myself, I just don't need the walk breaks. When I race, I don't "plan" on walking (unless I'm on some sort of killer hill or it's an ultra-distance race). If something happens and I need to walk, it's there.....I don't think I get any benefit from more walking practice in my long runs.

2011-04-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3434990

Master
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-07 5:41 PM

popsracer - 2011-04-07 2:19 PM For a lot of people run/walk will net a faster overall time.

I agree with this!

I think for 80% plus of runners in a HIM/IM, they are actually going to be faster with a run/walk strategy. I think they will also finish stronger.

I think practicing in training as Kathy says is the ideal.

I agree also.  In a longer distance race (especially a hot/humid one), the run/walk helps you sustain a higher overall pace for a longer duration.  Especially in the IM distance, it postpones the walking that many people must do at the end of the race.  My friends who did the run/walk at Louisville last year were far faster than I was because I overcoooked the bike, then overheated and had to walk the run.  Put your intervals in your watch and have it beep you or just walk the aid stations.  The other posters raise great points about walking to consume your water.

If you think you will use the run/walk in your race, I'd do your long runs with that strategy now to get used to it.  You can do all of your other runs with straight running.

Having said that, I would not use the run/walk as a way to make training easier.  If your plan is time-based and your run/walk runs are slower than straight running, IMHO you should increase their duration so that you are on your feet for a comparable number of miles.

2011-04-08 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3435831

Bronze member
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2011-04-08 8:43 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-07 5:41 PM

popsracer - 2011-04-07 2:19 PM For a lot of people run/walk will net a faster overall time.

I agree with this!

I think for 80% plus of runners in a HIM/IM, they are actually going to be faster with a run/walk strategy. I think they will also finish stronger.

I think practicing in training as Kathy says is the ideal.

I agree also.  In a longer distance race (especially a hot/humid one), the run/walk helps you sustain a higher overall pace for a longer duration.  Especially in the IM distance, it postpones the walking that many people must do at the end of the race.  My friends who did the run/walk at Louisville last year were far faster than I was because I overcoooked the bike, then overheated and had to walk the run.  Put your intervals in your watch and have it beep you or just walk the aid stations.  The other posters raise great points about walking to consume your water.

If you think you will use the run/walk in your race, I'd do your long runs with that strategy now to get used to it.  You can do all of your other runs with straight running.

Having said that, I would not use the run/walk as a way to make training easier.  If your plan is time-based and your run/walk runs are slower than straight running, IMHO you should increase their duration so that you are on your feet for a comparable number of miles.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. So far I feel really good during the long runs but the next day I have problems. My body typically does not accept longer miles well (been running a long time) and I have a history of trouble with my feet. Proving to be the case this time too. I have one foot that starts giving me problems the day after my long runs. It is taking consistent ice, ART, and massage to keep this foot manageable. I have about 5 more "long" runs in the plan ranging from 1:30-2 hours. I will experiment a little and see what I can work out.

Thanks for your input everyone.

2011-04-08 4:26 PM

Champion
MA

I don't think the time difference of run/walk time vs. just run isn't that big of deal to add extra time. Pick a plan, use a coach and follow it.

Often in long run run/walk you will be faster than just straight running or your recovery time may be less. If you run/walk for 2 hours or add time to it because you walked 60" every mile....it may be 10' difference. Do you think that makes a big difference come race day?

Work at trying to negative split all your runs especially your long runs will help you learn to pace well. Bad pacing often leads to more walking in HIM or IM runs.

Another option is to add time walking before or after your run/walk to get more time on your feet.

It is disappointed no plans have run/walk in them or there are very few suggestions on how to do it other than the Friel/McGee blog post I posted in the other thread.

For me I figure out what my body likes best and go with that as to r/w ratios. I often do more frequent walk breaks but they are short only 20-30". Others who have tried to do that with me find the short walk annoying. When training for IM, I tried to come up with ratio that would mean I would be walking every mile. Trust me aid stations are not exactly a mile a part so don't get hung up on that. As I run more consistently I will run longer before walk breaks. Now I'm running shorter as I have some injury issues. My knee bugs me when I first start running so I will walk more often until it warms up and feels better.

2011-04-09 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3436789

Master
Central Indiana

Lots of good info on R/W training and strategies here:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com

2011-04-10 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3438014

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-13 7:20 PM

Master

Don't forget that you need to slow down to account for the heat.

I have read that you should expect to be 15 sec per mile slower for every 5 degrees over 65.

Here is a good article about how heat affects you when you run:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-269-13245-0,00.html

So, slow down your regular pace as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run/walk for a 1/2 IM? Rss Feed