Treasure Valley Family YMCA
38F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 13m 57s
Overall Rank = 50/264
Age Group = M 18-29
Age Group Rank = 10/19
Pre-race routine:

Swim is on Friday night, bike/run on Saturday.
Swim
  • 08m 56s
  • 750 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well the start was very unorganized. I got warmed up and waited...and waited...and waited some more. By the time I got a timer for my lane so I could start my swim, I think I was no longer warmed up. The whole thing was hectic and I think mentally I just got out of it. Started off way too hard around a 1:01 I think. My arms weren't very cooperative with what I was intending on doing so that wasn't a good swim. Somehow I suffered through it and made it out under 9. Finished 12 seconds back of last years time.
What would you do differently?:

For some reason I was incredibly jittery before this swim. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I tried to warm up a lot and still felt very nervous. I'm not sure why this happened, but it definitely affected me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Pedals were busted so I had to leave the shoes clipped in and managed my first ever clipped in shoe mount. Not too shabby.
Bike
  • 35m 46s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to begin. First it was absolutely freezing and I made the decision to ride in my shorts and just a long sleeve under shirt. Very bad choice. Once my time rolled up I took off running to my bike, very quickly slipped off the shoes and ran with my bike to the mount. Jumped on and had a successful shoe-on mount. I started going pretty hard. About a minute into the ride, it just started raining. It was awful. I was freezing in sub 40 temps with rain. I knew it was going to be rough so I just tried to hang in there. I started to get passed by a fair amount of people very quickly, which I was not expecting. My legs started to go numb. I didn't have a computer on me so I was going purely off RPE. I thought I was doing a solid ride but with the number of people passing me I knew I probably wasn't. I finished the bike with no real concerns, not knowing that my legs were pretty much completely numb because, well they were numb.

Should have kept the pants and jacket on. Skip the race in the freezing rain.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

I stopped at the dismount line, unclipped my shoes and ran to my rack. My running shoes were sitting there and suddenly, I couldn't figure out which shoe was the right and which was the left. I was very mentally out of it. Then I happened to run out of transition with my helmet on. Awesome. I handed it to someone I knew and took off for the run.

Take helmet off. Skip the freezing rain race.
Run
  • 28m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Well as soon as I started running I could tell I was mentally just gone. It was going to be rough. I was right, my legs were so numb I could not feel them. I've never tried to run without able to feel my legs and now I know that I'm not good at it. I ended up having to walk a couple of times in the first 5-7 minutes because my legs were just not cooperating with me. i started to get some feeling back in them and my calves were locking up pretty good. I was barely able to shuffle along. I kept going and right around the turn around, my legs started to feel okay and I just kept it in cruise control to the end of the race.

I think the bike just killed my run, I don't think my run was bad necessarily but my legs were so numb I couldn't run.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode my bike back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather. When I got done, I was barely even tired. This wasn't that much of a "race" for me. Mentally I was just not in it, which is very odd because I had been looking forward to this race for quite some time.

Last updated: 2011-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:56 | 750 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 3/264
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Pool TT swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: