General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Groups vs Training Alone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Training in Groups vs Training Alone
OptionResults
Myself Swimming
Group Swimming
Myself Cycling
Group Cycling
Myself Running
Group Running
This is a multiple choice poll.

2011-04-10 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3438147

User image

Regular
Royal Oak
Subject: RE: Training in Groups vs Training Alone

I also train alone, granted I've just started training for a tri.  It's easier to just train when I want to and not have to rely on anyone else.  I start a run with my girlfriend from time to time but we both go our separate ways after a mile or two due to our changes in pace and what we're training for.

I will also look into some local group rides through the bike shop, I used to ride with a club in college and always liked having other people there and felt it was good for pushing harder than you would on your own.

2011-04-10 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3438940

User image

Extreme Veteran

train with different groups all the time without any problem whatsoever... They only time that I try to train by myself is when I do speed work, or hard intervals.

2011-04-10 7:50 PM

User image

Indy
I think the ability to be a loner in triathlon is what appealed to me from the onset.  The sport is all about me vs. myself from my perspective.  I don't depend on any other person, unlike team sports which I played in my earlier years. 
2011-04-10 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Swimming ~ Group; masters 3x per week.  This has improved my swim tremendously, don't know what I would do without them!

Biking ~ Myself (and sometimes my husband); just not comfortable cycling in a group, this is my weakest event and I'm just more comfortable by myself.  Plus, most people I know are faster than me on the bike (probably should hook up with them someday!).

Running ~ Group; I've trained with a running group for 7 or 8 years now.  Love it!  I was a runner turned triathlete, so running is my favorite part.  I don't always train with them, but love the organized runs when possible.  Plus, this is a HUGE group, so many people in all paces ranging from 6:30 to 12:00 to run/walkers.

2011-04-10 8:10 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I bike commute.

I don't swim regular enough to join a group.

Right now I am running more than 10 hours a week, and I am so sick and tired of doing it alone that I am going freaking crazy. Problem is, I am such a pace nazi out there it is not even funny, except on my easy days, I don't care how slow I go then but god help you if you go too fast.
2011-04-10 9:16 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Like I do my drinking: alone.

2011-04-10 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Swimming:  almost always alone.  I would benefit from a group, but it doesn't work with my 'schedule'.

Biking:  Occasionally with others, but mostly alone.  I like a good hard group ride, but rarely can find or organize them.

Running:  99.9% alone.  I've run a couple of times with one friend of mine, who runs about the same speed as I do.

I'm not sure what this means, but running is the one of the three that I'm least interested or willing to do with others.

2011-04-10 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Probably 90% or more alone.  Some ocean swims with a group for safety reasons.  Very occasional group rides.  Track workouts with one group or another once in awhile.  But mostly everything on my own.
2011-04-11 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
Alone for all three....see teeth brushing thread.
2011-04-11 8:09 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I do all three alone, except for long rides.  I'm sure this is just an indicator that I need to HTFU, but for 2+ hour rides, I'll go out of my way to find a group.  I hate riding along for long periods outside of race day. 
2011-04-11 8:55 AM

User image

Another loner, here. I do all my training alone. Sometimes I hear about the small local community of athletes doing group rides/runs and master's swims... and I get a bit envious... but I've got two young kids so I fit all my training between the hours of 5:30-7:00 a.m. And at the end of the day, I'm an introvert - I enjoy my own company and sometimes find social situations exhausting - so it may just be a case of 'the grass is greener'. 

2011-04-11 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
I will occasionly train in a masters swim class or go on a group ride or run with some friends or my tri club teammates, but it is probably 90-95% alone.
2011-04-11 1:16 PM

User image

Regular

Been mostly training alone - I'm always around people so it's a nice change.

When I train alone, I get to do what's best FOR ME versus what's best for the group. But I do a little on the weekends or close to race to train in with a group because Mental/Emotions are also an important aspect for competition. Group training helps with that. 

2011-04-11 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I think some of this speaks to whether an athlete's focus is internal or external. Athletes with an internal focus on training likely want to train alone, focusing on their own performance.

Sometimes athletes who have a difficult time with "intrinsic" motivation or self-motivation need the support of a group to remain consistent.

There is also an odd middle ground Ihave been a part of, and I consider optimal- especially for cycling. That is to find a small group of experienced riders who ride the same routes regularly and are stronger athletes than you. I was fortunate enough to have that back in Michigan where I rode with Pierre, Mike A., Frankie, Mario, Frank Senior, Michael R. Rabe. Within that group was 9 Tour de France finishes, numerous Olympics, national championships, coaching certifications, state championships and a host of other experiences. It wasn't a group, it was a cartel. When the rides went animated the training effect was... substantial. Most importantly, the rides were incredibly safe. I can't remember a crash or mishap in hundreds of rides. It was the absolute best training arrangement on the bike. I'd go to a race and generally have one of the very best bike splits.

Having gone on to (try) to ride in other groups I honestly find it... well, horrifying. Truly. I lost some vision when I had my stroke and riding with a bunch of people who (apparently) have had no formal instruction on how to ride in a group makes for a free-for-all. There is no understood ettiquette, no "food chain" and no apparent consensus on how a group should behave as an organism. In Michigan we had the benefit of strong cycling clubs with a (relatively) ancient history. When they were learning to ride the velodrome Pancho Via was still in charge of Arizona- so we don't have that history, that legacy. There is no Mike Walden, Michael R. Rabe or Frank Senior. There is no one, strong club with deep coaching cadre that "teaches" people how to ride. That is an integral component to making sure cyclists develop correctly within the cycling society.

On the occasions I swam with a group workout I did benefit a great deal. I had good coaching (The late Doug Stern and Sheila Toarmina) and my workouts were longer, harder and more focused. That was helpful.

Running, back in Michigan we had the Hanson's group. I only heard of them- I never ran with them. They were far, far too fast for me. I just plodded along on my own. I never got very good, when I was a kid I could do a stand alone 10K in 34:00+ and run a 36:00 off the bike. I couldn't touch that now unless I had a motorcycle.

In general I think the poll results bare out our tendency as endurance athletes to want to train alone.

2011-04-11 2:56 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I'm no help to the pole ... I checked everything. There are good points for either type of training.

I swim regularly with masters, but swim on my own a lot too.
Most of my cycling is solo. I do ride with friends sometimes though and have occasionally joined in on some larger local group rides.
I do a lot of running by myself as well, but I joined a local marathon club. They do their progressively longer weekend long runs for both a full and half marathon distance. There are enough people running that I'm usually with, or near, others no matter what speed I'm doing that day. They also have a shorter mid-week evening group run that I've joined in the past.
2011-04-11 3:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I mostly train by myself.  I will sometimes hit up the marathon training group in the mornings at the Y if I need to push myself.  For the most part, I like the flexibility of being able to train on my own.

2011-04-11 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I like to pool swim alone, but OWS with a group.

Short bike alone, long bike mostly with just my closest training partner, occasional group rides.

Prefer to run ALONE.

2011-04-11 3:28 PM

User image

Expert

Interesting topic as I was trying to explain this to a friend that is an avid biker.  I think he thought I sounded a little elitist by saying I mostly prefer to be alone when I train.  It was hard to explain that part of the fun of training is mixing it up.  If I am out on the bike and see a road that looks interesting I might just decide to turn on it and see where it goes.  Same for road running or this most often occurs when I am on trail running.  In addition I find the solitude to be meditative in some regard and enjoy the time alone.

Having said that, I also do enjoy going out with a few others for Mountain Biking because I generally don't have any goals for the day when I go other than having fun and hanging out.

2011-04-11 3:28 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I train alone and in a group for both biking and swimming depending on the time of year and location.  I love the variety!

Running?  Always alone.  I actually dislike running with others.  Always have...I think it's my own insecurity about my ablities.

2011-04-12 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Running is primarily alone, although we join up with a group once in a while. Just haven't found a group that runs on convenient times/places.

I do most of my riding with a group for a few reasons... first, the social aspect, just a great group of people that I really enjoy spending countless hours with. The pace usually gets push somewhere along the ride and it can become a real hammer fest when we feel like it, but everyone knows that coming into the rides, helps me getting my speed up. It also helps me getting the longer rides in, doubtful I would ever do a 100+ mile ride by myself, but happens frequently with the group. With all that said, I do at least 2 rides a week on my tri bike alone... one ride intervals and one tempo ride.

Since I do duathlons, swimming is kind of a non-issue...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Groups vs Training Alone Rss Feed  

of 2