Clearwater, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I set out with a few goals for this race. First and foremost, have fun with it. I was/am a bit undertrained for the distance, and with my A race just over a month away, I did not want to push too hard.

Additionally, I really wanted to run at a pace that I think I can also mantain for FL 70.3. I set a goal for myself of a 3:15 half, allowing for walking breaks or whatever else was needed to keep my heart rate low. This race was really meant to be a learning experience, and I think I got what I wanted out of it.

Woke up at 4:30. Put the hair in pigtails, put on sunscreen and was out the door by 4:45. Husband got to stay home for this one- 3 hour race with only one loop (and an all women's event) = pointless for him to be there.

On the drive ate a pb and J sammich and drank a big cup of coffee with cream. Got to the shuttle site by 5:45.

The ONLY negative thing I have to say about the entire event is about the shuttle service. Participants were sent numerous emails before the race encouraging us to park at one of 5 pick up locations and be bussed to the beach, rather than park on the beach.

When I arrived the line had at least 500 people in it ahead of me, and it was 6:40 before I got on a shuttle. I stepped off the shuttle at 6:50 and just had enough time to hit the port o potty and make my way to the race area before the race began at 7 a.m.

When I left the shuttle area there were at least 500 people left in line, so many had to start the race late as they did not arrive to the race site in some cases until 7:30 or later.

I am glad I wasn't one of them as I was relying on a pace group to get me to my goal pace.

Anyway, tangent. While waiting in line for the trolly I ate about half a cup of honey nut Cherrios and drank a bottle of Smart Water.
Event warmup:

Jogging from shuttle to port o potty and then from potty to starting line. It actually was about .5 mile total and pretty darn effective as a warm up.
Run
  • 3h 00m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I am really really happy with this run. It has definately given me confidence that my HIM goal is realistic and attainable. That said...

Lined up with the 3:15 pacer and we were off. Ran with her for about the first mile and a half but she had to make a pit stop, so I was on my own. Not a problem as I had the 3:00 pacer in my sights and was probably only a minute back from him. I figured as long as I could see that sign, I was on the right track.

The first bridge (and therefore the first hill) happens right away on this course. After only a mile you're climbing, and it was suprisingly easy given my limited hill training. Got to see the sun rise at the top of the bridge and it was beautiful. It was a little daunting to look to the right and see a tiny bridge in the distance and know that was the next bridge I would be crossing around mile 8.

Took in water at first aid station (1.5) and kept a steady pace. Heart rate was low and I was thanking volunteers and police every chance I got.

Made the turn after the bridge and put on the sunglasses. At the second aid station (3) took in water again and decided I was feeling pretty darn good so I caught up to the 3 hour pace group and made friends.

Third aid station (4.5) took in water and a swallow of gatorade. Also dumped a cup on my head.

Fourth aid station (6) did the same thing. Stomach was doing great, and so were my legs. My heart rate was still very low, and I was extremely comfortable at our pace.

We hit the second bridge at around 7.5, and thank god for pacer guy because there is no way I would have made it up that baby with out walking without him. My heart rate got a bit too high on the climb and I was feeling thirsty on the way down. This was probably the only point the entire run that I was uncomfortable. I slowed my run to get the HR back down and the pacer went ahead, but I was never more than a minute back from that little bouncing sign.

Next aid station (around mile 8) took two cups of water and a cup of gatorade. I didn't stop running so some of it missed my mouth, not sure how much exactly but man that was yummy.

Started fantasizing about beer by about mile 9. Did water and gatorade at every aid station moving forward and pretended the gatorade was beer. That helped.

Legs started hurting badly at around mile 10, which I knew they would considering my limited training. Heart rate was still good and aerobicly could have kept going at that pace for miles longer.

Last bridge was around mile 11, and this was the only time the whole race where I walked. My calves and hamstrings were having none of that whole running up the hill thing. It was short but steep,so luckily over quickly.

Last aid station was at mile 12 and I knew I was in the home stretch. Kept and easy pace and focused on motivating everyone around me that I could right on down the chute.

Smiled pretty for the camera. :)
What would you do differently?:

Obviously, I'm not thrilled about those :47 seconds. I mean seriously, I could have probably given it a little more juice out there somewhere and come in under 3 hours... but considering my goal was 3:15 I'm not unhappy at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the expo, drank two bottles of water and some OJ. Was hungry but tummy was saying "no unless you want to pewp your pants" so I waited for food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Honestly, this was a far better run than I expected and gave me loads of confidence for my upcoming half. My heart rate the entire time was low low low, easy breathing, easy run overall. The legs were dead by the end, but that was a leg strength issue, not a cardiovascular endurance issue, and I still have time to fit in a few long runs before the race to help build that strength.

Overall, I was really proud of me. If you check my logs you will see that a 13-14 minute mile pace is about average for me during training, so to be able to fall within that for a half mary made me a happy girl.

Event comments:

The race itself was EXTREMELY well run. The volunteers were amzing, great expo, great swag, great post race activities. DJ's at every aid station and lots of them on the course. You never felt alone out there.

The shuttle situation left a lot to be desiered, and I imagine the race organizers will either work closely with that company, or another, next year to improve that.

Overall I highly reccomend this race to anyone in the area looking for a great women's half. Just do your hill training, those bridges (espeically the last one around mile 11) are no joke.

Last updated: 2011-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
03:00:47 | 13.1 miles | 13m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop run around Clearwater Beach. 3 bridge crossings provided moderately hilly terrain for a FL race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-11 8:42 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: Irongirl Clearwater

2011-04-11 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3439526

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Irongirl Clearwater
Congrats on a GREAT race!!!
2011-04-11 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3439655

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Yay Nicole!  Fantastic!  Thank gods for the pacers at times, for that last bit of motivation!
2011-04-11 11:23 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Great now we can plan to run together!!!  Way to go HOT STUFF!!!!

2011-04-11 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Way to go INTIMIDATOR!! You are rocking it.
2011-04-12 8:14 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great job Nicole! Very proud of ya!

2011-04-12 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
nice job congrats
2011-04-14 5:05 AM

User image

Melon Presser

You did awesome.

You had fun.

You fantasized about beer.

You finished.

PERFECT RACE!!!

and a pretty dang perfect girl.

2011-04-15 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida

Great job Nicole!  Sooooo where in Tampa are you?  Maybe one of these days we can do a long run together.  Since we're basically the same pace and all...

2011-04-15 10:18 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job Nicole.  Your rocking the year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Irongirl Clearwater Rss Feed