Gran Fondo USA, LLC
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 12m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to San Diego to packet pick up and the expo on Saturday. Sunday morning I drove down and parked a couple blocks away from the start at the county parking lot. Ate a little breakfast on the way down along with some coffee and water.

I was glad I was able to get back out here for this event. The official charity is the American Melanoma Foundation. It was important to me to support this group.
Event warmup:

After packing the nutrition etc on the bike I rode over to the expo site for a porto potty break. Then rode up to the start area and found a spot to wait. I was earlier than I thought as I thought it started at 7, but 7:15 is the official start time.
Bike
  • 7h 12m 1s
  • 105.13 miles
  • 14.60 mile/hr
Comments:

They wisely do the start in stages so that 2200 people aren't all turned loose at once. Since the first 7 - 10 miles are on a fairly narrow section they had coned off for us and the road surface is a bit rough this was a good idea. Throw in some rail road tracks and it would have been a disaster any other way. I was in the second wave.

I got to the first rest stop, which turned out wasn/t the first stop but the last and used the porto potty again. I saw I missed 2 calls from my father in law. I knew that wasn't good, but I couldn't find him or Connie. The next 10 miles to the first rest stop was mostly suburban retail area with some rollers, but nothing significant. But a good area for the ride to get spread out some.

I finally found Connie at this stop and found her mom was in the hospital. She encouraged me to keep doing the long ride, as this was where the long and short ride seperated. I was worried she would need to fly to Florida and I wouldn't be much help to her, not that I could since she is in NY and I am in CA. If I had known then that I was going to lose cell service for the next 3 hours or more I might have made a different decision, but as it turned out everthing worked out ok and I didn't miss anything.

We went out further towards the mountains and about 35 miles in we hit the start of the King/Queen of the Mountain Time Trial. This is a 10K of nothing but up. It starts out at about 4.5% grade and gradually, and sometime not so gradually, builds to a 6.5% avg grade the last couple of miles. It seemed to take me forever, and I wouldnt be surprised if my time for it was well over an hour. So far I haven't found anywhere to get that info, so it may remain a mystery. ETA: They did post the results on line and although it seemed like more than an hour, I came in at exactly 54 minutes. This ranked me 660 out of 909. I guess I have some work to do! I saw several walkers, so I at least did better than them. There were people coming down the hill so I figured there was a turn around at the top and I would have the downhill to look forward to. Turns out these folks had bailed on the climb and were heading home. Once at the top it continued on through the mountains.

We climbed and decended over the next 20 or so miles, when we finally hit a down hill that went on for a good 15 miles into a canyon and back towards San Diego.

I never stopped at the aid stations again as the lines for food and drink were quite long and I was running late for a meeting I had later in the day. I had almost enough on me with the infinit and water bottles. But I finally did run out about 80 miles in. But rather than wait, I just stopped at a convenience store near the RV park. Worked out well and didn't miss much time at all.

Finally back in civilization and flatter roads, and now a head wind. Probably wouldn't have been bad, but the hills took a lot out of me. The last 5 miles of rough road didn't help either.

All in all, a very enjoyable day on the bike. Definately a challenging course, and not something to do without a pretty good base of seat time.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to build my bike conditioning and ride more hills. Having less of me to haul up the hills would probably be advantages as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't have a lot of time to hang out after as I was supposed to meet someone to ship a car home (turns out he was stuck in traffic so I could have stayed longer). It looked like they put on a pretty good feast.

Last updated: 2011-02-19 12:00 AM
Biking
07:12:01 | 105.13 miles | 14.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out through the southern part of San Diego to the mountains and dessert areas of eastern San Diego County
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-11 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Gran Fondo Colnago San Diego

2011-04-11 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3440211

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gran Fondo Colnago San Diego
Sounds like a great way to do a long training ride!  Tough one too!!
2011-04-12 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Nice century ride in mountains, sounds intimidating to us flatlanders in Texas. I sometimes wish I had more gears. Smart move on the nutrition stop later in ride, done same in MS150 rides.
2011-04-12 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
great work and thanks for the race report! you earned the magarita's!
2011-04-13 2:31 AM

User image

Chula Vista, CA

Sounds like you had a great ride. The route passed behind my house (around the 85 mile mark), unfortunatley I had to work that day or I would have joined you and the other 2,000+ riders on a beautiful San Diego day to ride (sans the headwinds). 54 mins to climb Honey Springs (king of the mountain/7+ mile climb) is very repsectable. I hit that hill about once a month...need to pay my respects, keeps me humble!

I spoke to a few friends who also rode the Century and they said it was the headwind, not the climbing that wore them out.

This Saturday I will be riding in another event (Cycle Eastlake) which has a metric century and emcompasses part of the Gran Fondo Century route, including the Honey Springs climb.

Thanks for the report, kudos on a great ride, glad all is well with your family...hope you enjoyed riding in my backyard

Edited by dm3llav 2011-04-13 2:34 AM
2011-04-13 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Great ride, and it sounds like a pretty interesting event. Were you tempted to grab a beer at the convenience store?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gran Fondo Colnago San Diego Rss Feed