General Discussion Race Reports! » Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon) - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Olathe, Kansas
United States
Olathe Chamber of Commerce
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 42m 19s
Overall Rank = 771/836
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 28/35
Pre-race routine:

Ate my usual "lucky" breakfast of 1/3 cup (dry) oats with 1/2 banana. Did not have a Gu right before the start since this was pacing duties and not a real race for me.
Event warmup:

It was super cold and windy so my pre-race warm-up was shivering under the shelter of the Garmin building.
Run
  • 2h 42m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I failed miserably in my first experience as a pacer. Sharon and I were a few seconds too fast for both mile 1 and mile 2, which is a big no-no. Then, somehow we came in 2 minutes 19 seconds LATE! I think it had something to do with seeing the 26 mile marker and thinking we were super close to the finish, but it turned out the 13 mile marker was some distance away. Anyway, we had intentionally walked toward the end to slow down so it was some type of error in judgment. Sigh.
What would you do differently?:

Not pace?? I don't know. This was a different experience for me in trying to run slower, at a pace I don't normally run. Then there is the whole math part of making sure our Garmin is synced with the mile markers rather than the miles according to the Garmin. I'm a little sad and frustrated that it did not turn out better.

The run it self was easy and fine. The knee stiffened toward the end but was not painful.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a bbq chicken sandwich! Did not officially warm down -- walked around a bit trying to find food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not applicable

Event comments:

This race last year was my first half marathon. Of course the weather was better last year, but there was not much food at the finish. We did get bbq chicken, but they were out of bananas (that I saw) and the only other food I saw was yogurt -- although there could have been other things I did not discover.

Had some rolling hills but not too bad. Might do it again.

Last updated: 2011-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:42:19 | 13.1 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/35
Overall: 35/836
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-16 3:46 PM

User image

Subject: Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

2011-04-16 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3450332

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
Subject: RE: Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

pacing is tough! it's hard to run at a pace your not accustomed too!

my advice is to bring your garmin and an extra "lap watch".  This alows you to hit the lap button at every mile and keeps you on track if your garmin mileage is a bit off.

cheers to volunteering to pace.  it's not an easy task!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon) Rss Feed