Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 41m 19s
Overall Rank = 339/1163
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/80
Pre-race routine:

Got up and iced my foot on the drive over to the KOP mall. Hopped on the bus at about 7:50 and got to the park and walked up to the start. Tried to jog a bit but my foot was not happy.
Event warmup:

Found a tree and started stretching. Did some light jogging and more stretching and then found a spot in the middle of the 8 min mile group.
Run
  • 41m 19s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew my foot was going to be a problem as it hurt thru my warm up so I didn't put myself up near the front of the 7 min group but instead positioned myself in the mid 8 group. The start is very tight as the road is narrow (one lane and 1163 or so people have to cross the starting mat) That actually does help spread things out as once you funnel through the start. We had a 43 second delay to hit the mat. The first mile was ugly. My foot hurt each step and the run was dead upwind for the first 2 miles. I just buckled down and shuffled through it and tried to stay out of the way. The first mile was 9:20 by my watch. Right before the mile mark my foot finally stopped hurting and my foot was fine the rest of the race. So at that point I settled into a groove and decided to groove it a workout. Mile 2 with the backhill I worked my way forward and only occassionally got boxed in. Worked over the top and pushed the downhill to the 2 mile mark (8:15) and then took on the trail hill again passing a bunch of folks and then downhill to the water station. Chose to pass on the water stop and rolled thru mile 3 (8:00), Picked up the effort and up to Rt 23 and up the stretch to Washington's Chaple and that hill to Mile 4 (7:55), then pushed over the plateau to the big downhill and finally up the visitor center hill to the finish line. Mile 5 (7:50). SO I managed to do four step downs and ran a decent last four miles.
What would you do differently?:

Not have Plantar Faciatis.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the food tents, grabed some fruit and water and a yougut parfet, and finally a slice of Pizza, then walked down to the bus and back to the KOP mall. Iced my foot on the drive home and was back by 10:00am and my foot actually still feels much better than it did this morning

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PF again.

Event comments:

Great race. Times already posted on line. Chip was part of the bib number which was different but it worked. Great race, tons of volunteers, lots of enthusiam, and Lots of good food at the end. Bus to start from KOP mall so no parking isues. Course is tight in the beginning with a large field and a narrow road, but I love the history and running here at Valley Forge, very inspiring!

Last updated: 2011-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:19 | 05 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/80
Overall: 339/1163
Performance: Below average
Course: The outer loop multi purpose trail with the Back hill. Basically a quality hill each mile. Fun race and challenging course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes