Hempfield Triathlon Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 15s
Overall Rank = 32/148
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/31
Pre-race routine:

This was my son's first race, so I helped him get his registration packet, and set up his transition area, while doing the same for myself. We arrived at 6:00 a.m. to allow plenty of time for this. We walked around, talked to TNT teammates, and some other people I know, plus showed my son the pool, and explained again how the serpentine swim would work. It was cold, so we waited until the last possible second before taking off our warm clothes.
Event warmup:

Arm circles while waiting in line for my turn to start.
Swim
  • 05m 14s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim. I passed 1 person in the middle of the lane about 1/2 way through the swim. The guy behind me caught me on the last 50m, so I pulled to the side on the last turn to let him pass.
What would you do differently?:

This was a good solid swim considering how little I've been training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

This transition went pretty smoothly. My time was the 4/31 in my AG, and 31/138 overall.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 50m 21s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode as hard as I could for my fitness level. My calves threatened to cramp a few times, making me concerned that I was pushing to hard, so I backed off just a little bit.

I passed my son about 3 or 4 miles into the ride (He was seeded 17th for the swim opposed to my 29th seeding). Later in the bike, I also passed 2 of my other TNT teammates, Bob & Kayla.

I wouldn't do anything differently during the race, but I could have gone faster if I had been able to get in the training I had planned.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

This transition went ok too. My time for it was 7/31 in my AG and 41/148 overall.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Normally, the temperature has warmed up by the time of the run at this race, but today, it was overcast, and it was still in the low-50's during the run. I skipped a drink at the turnaround. My legs were fried by this point, and kept threatening to cramp during the entire run. I kept riding the edge of pushing too hard, and was able to keep the cramps at bay. I could not have gone any faster on this day with my current fitness level.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank a bottle of water, then hung out at the finish line to cheer on my teammates as they finished, and was able to be there when my son finished a few minutes after I did. Then I walked around a little to keep from tightening up too badly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness. Going into this race, I knew if I wanted to podium, I'd have to finish in under 1:20. Because of various commitments, I haven't been able to train the way I had planned, so I didn't think I'd be able to go fast enough. In the end I was right, because 3rd place finished at 1:19:44, almost exactly 2 1/2 minutes faster than my time. I think if I had been able to do the training that I planned, I could have easily cut this amount off my time. Well, there's always next year!

Event comments:

This race is organized by the Hempfield Triathlon Club. They do an excellent job. This is a fantastic early season race whether it's your first race ever, or your first race of the season to blow out the cobwebs.

Last updated: 2011-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:14 | 328 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/31
Overall: 27/148
Performance: Average
Suit: Pool Swim - Tri shorts & top
Course: 300m serpentine pool swim. The time includes a run of approx 200 ft to the timing mat at the transition area.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:21 | 16 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 32/148
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling with some smaller hills. Rural roads. Most of the road surfaces were good, with only a few rough areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:26 | 03.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 54/148
Course: Mostly flat with some slight inclines on public roads. It's an out-and-back that parallels the bike course with the exception of the 1/4 mile out-and-back to the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes