Race Day Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 27s
Overall Rank = 24/284
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Up early, had breakfast and checked over my list / bike one last time before leaving the house. Drove to site, got transition set up and helped a guy air up his H3's. After that a short ride and into the pool to warm up.
Event warmup:

Swam some laps. Got out when they started the National anthem (the first test of endurance at any sporting event... listen to that song murdered over and over again... but I'm not hating, it's the thought that counts... just please, if you can't hit the highs, don't attempt it, especially on a rickety PA system)
Swim
  • 07m 24s
  • 437 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had thought my swim was going great. I lined up with the 6:00-6:30 group, and never got passed, yet it seems like I passed out in the water for a minute or so... In all fairness I don't know how they lumped transitions in, so it's possible this time also includes t1. Still, felt like a good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Still need more time in the pool. I should have pushed harder, especially the second 200m
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Still a little rusty on my mount. Less flying, more run, stop, hop on, take off, feet in shoes.

Probably not my fastest t1.

Need to practice more than once or twice the day before a race haha. Still, no epic failures so it was all good.
Bike
  • 19m 56s
  • 6 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

No idea... I can't imagine I Avg. 18mph (and it's good enough for 10th best bike split) unless I literally stopped and had a sandwich that I forgot about.

That said, as this is the same course I wrecked on two years ago and screwed up my collarbone (again) I took it way too timid around the turns. I definitely should have been the fastest person on the bike, but I really ate up the time taking the turns safely. Not my A Game for sure.

HTFU. Get my head in the race before signing up. Not let what happened years ago have an effect on my race day.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Coming into T2 was fine. First race sockless I did not account for scraping all the gravel off my feet before getting my running shoes on. Probably cost me a few seconds.

Should have had the foresight to bring a small towel to stand on and get the gravel off my feet.
Run
  • 22m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile I really struggled. Side stitch got in (I think it was likely the cold air on the bike) early and I really suffered until it went away. I certainly should have ran through it, as I was pretty sure it was not from going too fast...

Again, HTFU. I could have ran harder if I had really wanted to, but I just wasn't there to "race."

Post race
Warm down:

Hung out around the (always pretty) Delta Delta Delta girls. ;) I admit I felt pretty down on myself and basically packed it up, went home, and Vegged out in front of Bioshock2 for about 7 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My Head. I really had the potential to race quite a bit harder, I just didn't want to suffer, and it showed.

Event comments:

Race Day Events still puts on a great show. Overall everything was nicely set up.

Last updated: 2011-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:24 | 437 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 63/284
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Snake Pool start.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:19:56 | 06 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Overall: 10/284
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Out and around campus. Lots of twists and turns, plenty of uphill grinding.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:08 | 03 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 47/284
Performance: Below average
Course: Around campus. Lots of going uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: TriDeltaThon

2011-04-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3452345

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: TriDeltaThon

great job, i agree, i have seen your logs and past performances, are you sure the distance is correct for the bike??  even stopping in turns you would still be much faster.

oh well, nice job and result anyway, lol!! congrats!!!

2011-04-18 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3452345

User image

Veteran
The bike split includes both T1 and T2, so that's why your average was a little low. Good race.
2011-04-18 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3453132

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

doublej - 2011-04-18 3:40 PM The bike split includes both T1 and T2, so that's why your average was a little low. Good race.

well that makes a bit more sense at least. Thanks

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriDeltaThon Rss Feed