United States
High Five Events
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 44s
Overall Rank = 29/811
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke up earlier than planned, had some waffles in the toaster and a bit of Diet Coke. Got there even before transition opened so I had an end spot on the rack.
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit. No run or swim warm up.
Swim
  • 04m 53s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim. Wore my wetsuit because they reported the water temp was about 68. Didn't feel that cold at all. Felt more like upper 70s. Suit slowed me down a bit in transition because of the crappy timing chip they used. The thing is freaking huge. See my complaints about it from last year's Austin Tri. Supposedly this is the last time they're using those.
What would you do differently?:

Haven't done any short distance swim work lately.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Suit got stuck on the lousy freaking timing chip. As usual at Decker, I was slower in T1 because of the long uphill run from the water and my desire to keep my heart rate down a little bit prior to jumping on the bike. Still, 6th in the AG for T1. Not too bad considering the 5 second or so delay of getting the suit off my heels.
Bike
  • 30m 46s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 21.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall rank is a bit of a guess since some of the timing mats were screwed up in the early part of the race. As a result, a lot of the people ahead of me didn't have splits recorded until they exited T2.

At any rate, I was a bit disappointed in the power level. I've been holding better power than that in my 2x20' intervals I've been doing every week. I should have pushed harder. My average power was over 220 for the first 5 minutes, but I backed off way too much over the next 10.

Hurt more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Not much room for improvement here. Fastest T2 in the AG by 4 seconds. If anyone reads this, never underestimate transitions. I finished 6th in the AG. If the guys behind me had matched my transition times, I would have finished 8th. More importantly, if the guy that finished 7th was as fast in T1 and T2 as I was, he would have finished 3rd and placed in the AG.

16th fastest overall.
Run
  • 14m 14s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

What a bummer. With hindsight, I realize I was in 3rd place coming off the bike, but I had no idea of where I was at the time. I had a guy come by me at about the 1 mile mark. Managed to hold on to him about 50 yards behind and felt I might be able to reel him in over the last 1/3 mile or so, since he seemed to slow a bit on the uphills and that last 1/3 is just that. With about 1/2 mile left, I had another guy come by. I picked up my pace to hold him (and hopefully catch the guy in front of him), but the guy up ahead had picked up his pace at about the same time and I gradually lost a little bit to both of them. The second guy ran a 6:19 pace, so no surprise I couldn't hold on to him. To add insult to injury, a third guy in my AG came by with about 1/4 mile to go. No way I was going to stay with him, either. He ran 5:57 miles.

Not much. I may have been able to push a little harder on the run. I wasn't quite ready to puke when I crossed the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bit of water and a beer from the beer garden. Sure it was 9 in the morning, but it was New Belgium.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was broken down into 3 populations: open, veterans, and rookies. I finished 13th among all the veterans, yet 6th in M40-44. That's really surprising. Have yet to see how many of the 5 guys ahead of me are also part of the Texas Tri Series. I hope it's not many of them. Last year, I didn't do well in the early races and knew I could catch the guys ahead of me as we got to the longer distances. This year, I don't see that being the case.

All that can wait, though. IMTX is less than 5 weeks away!

Event comments:

High Five Events are always laid back, fun, and well run. Looking forward to the rest of the events in the Texas Tri Series this year, including High Five's first attempt at a HIM.

Last updated: 2011-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:53 | 328 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/55
Overall: 61/811
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Pro 2
Course: Triangular, counter-clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:46 | 11.2 miles | 21.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/55
Overall: 17/811
AP: 213 NP: 224
Wind: Little
Course: Clockwise loop around the lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:14 | 02 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/55
Overall: 81/811
Course: Mostly off road through the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 1:00 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: The Rookie Triathlon

2011-04-18 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3452853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: RE: The Rookie Triathlon
There's at least one who is NOT doing the Texas Tri Series. I won't be in town for the Couples Tri, Jack's Generic, or Kerrville. Thinking of doing CapTex and AVIA, but haven't decided on them yet. Nice race. Some of the times being thrown down were just crazy fast. Jamie Cleveland doing 3 1/2 minutes for the swim? Amazing!
2011-04-18 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3453094

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Jamie's fast, no doubt, but I'm pretty sure that swim was a bit short.
2011-04-18 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3453810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
You're probably right. I was looking at my time from the 2007 race and I did a 5:10 swim at the Texas Ski Ranch back then. If anything, I'm a slower swimmer now than I was then, but I had to have been a good 25 seconds faster this time. Probably due to a short swim. Anyhoo . . . looks like you had a strong race. I'm betting you move up as the Tri series continues. Good luck at IMTX.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Rookie Triathlon Rss Feed