General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming after rotator cuff surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-18 6:35 PM

Subject: swimming after rotator cuff surgery
Hi All, I am five months into therapy after having surgery on my rotator cuff.  my surgeon and PT have given me the green light to start swimming.. I have about 85% of my motion back and it is not uncomfortable to swim. I am wondering what program others used to get back their swimming form. How much ? How soon etc? Thoughts...  Thanks

Edited by sidsail 2011-04-18 6:40 PM

2011-04-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3453597

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: swimming after rotator cuff surgery

congrats on getting to 85% ROM.  I had rotator cuff surgery, as well as a plate placed on my clavicle a couple years ago.  It took some time to get all the strength and ROM back but I think it was at about 5-6 weeks post surgery I started swimming.  Swimming actually helped a oot gettting my ROM back.  I also continued to use a rope pully that I set-up in the basement.  Also, I kept a wooden dowel at my desk and would exercise the shoulder at work.  I found the pool was great for rehab of the shoulder. 

2011-04-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3464430

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
rayd - 2011-04-25 11:59 AM

congrats on getting to 85% ROM.  I had rotator cuff surgery, as well as a plate placed on my clavicle a couple years ago.  It took some time to get all the strength and ROM back but I think it was at about 5-6 weeks post surgery I started swimming.  Swimming actually helped a oot gettting my ROM back.  I also continued to use a rope pully that I set-up in the basement.  Also, I kept a wooden dowel at my desk and would exercise the shoulder at work.  I found the pool was great for rehab of the shoulder. 

Can you expound on this a little about the pully?  I had surgery x 3 last year for a major dislocation....all the surgeries were within a 12 week period!! and I haven't been back in the pool since.  I'm thinking about getting back to the grind but I want to have some options to do on dry land other than the ROM stuff from the PT.

Thanks and good luck with the recovery guys.

2011-04-25 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3464570

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Reno8 - 2011-04-25 11:07 AM
rayd - 2011-04-25 11:59 AM

Can you expound on this a little about the pully?  I had surgery x 3 last year for a major dislocation....all the surgeries were within a 12 week period!! and I haven't been back in the pool since.  I'm thinking about getting back to the grind but I want to have some options to do on dry land other than the ROM stuff from the PT.

Thanks and good luck with the recovery guys.

the pully I purchased from my physical therapist.  ?Basically, about 8 feet of rope with two handles and a wheel.  I hung the wheel on a hook in the basement and would I hold both handles and let my right side pull my left arm up gradually.  I would repeat several times.  I'm surprised that your PT did not have you doing this during sessions.  I also used resistance bands; however, I feel those helped more for strength than ROM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming after rotator cuff surgery Rss Feed