General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-27 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3466559

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry

Tri Swim Coach - 2011-04-26 8:56 AM However, things veer off when it comes to the importance of the high elbow catch. She points out that the one thing every great Olympic freestyle has in common is pulling with high elbows, and mastering this, not reducing drag, is how swimmers get faster in the water. Cheers, Kevin

I don't think the debate would last very long because the purpose of a high elbow catch IS to reduce drag. It's not because it is a powerful catch.

When considering the drag forces that result from different ways of pulling with the arm underwater, one must really concentrate on what is happening with the upper arm, more than the lower arm. It turns out that when one decides to pull deep with the pull, the upper arm gets off axis immediately and the drag coefficient of the swimmer skyrockets. Pulling with the early vertical forearm position keeps the upper arm more in the line of motion of the swimmer at the beginning of the pull. When the swimmer is finally forced to sweep the upper arm to the side for the recovery, the upper arm remains in the unfavorable drag position for a shorter period of time. Remember, tenths of seconds in unfavorable drag positions are enough to nearly stop us in the water. Gary Hall Sr

Article and video here

2011-04-27 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3455097

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
SPL Chart...hopefully I did not infringe upon any copyrights Embarassed

(SPL chart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
SPL chart.jpg (42KB - 94 downloads)
2011-04-28 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3469874

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Fastyellow - 2011-04-27 2:12 PM

Tri Swim Coach - 2011-04-26 8:56 AM However, things veer off when it comes to the importance of the high elbow catch. She points out that the one thing every great Olympic freestyle has in common is pulling with high elbows, and mastering this, not reducing drag, is how swimmers get faster in the water. Cheers, Kevin

I don't think the debate would last very long because the purpose of a high elbow catch IS to reduce drag. It's not because it is a powerful catch.

When considering the drag forces that result from different ways of pulling with the arm underwater, one must really concentrate on what is happening with the upper arm, more than the lower arm. It turns out that when one decides to pull deep with the pull, the upper arm gets off axis immediately and the drag coefficient of the swimmer skyrockets. Pulling with the early vertical forearm position keeps the upper arm more in the line of motion of the swimmer at the beginning of the pull. When the swimmer is finally forced to sweep the upper arm to the side for the recovery, the upper arm remains in the unfavorable drag position for a shorter period of time. Remember, tenths of seconds in unfavorable drag positions are enough to nearly stop us in the water. Gary Hall Sr

Article and video here

I saw this video too, thanks for pointing it out.
I'm just curious what Terry's take is on it, as I haven't heard him address the pull.
2011-05-04 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3455097

Terry,

Thanks for this video, even as a long-time swimmer I have found your suggestions helpful to keep in mind while in the pool and that has made my training more focused. I have been running into one problem concerning head angle though. I have always looked forward while swimming freestyle, probably originating from not wanting to get kicked in the face at practice. I have been focusing on keeping my head down and looking at the bottom of the pool during my last few swim workouts, but it makes my arm recovery motion seem unnatural and I feel like I'm snaking. Am I putting my head down too far, or am I just not used to this technique yet? I know it's hard to answer without actually seeing my stroke, but any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

2011-05-04 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3469801

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
mhast - 2011-04-27 4:42 PM

I have been trying the technique now for 2 weeks, so 6 swims in total. When I do repeats, I used to swim 1:10 per 100 yards. With this new technique I swim 100 yards in 1:20. When I try to push it, I end up with my old stroke but a much faster time.

My question, do I just keep on practicing until the time goes down to 1:10?

Michael.

Michael, I noticed the same thing today.  I thought that I needed some speed work and totally went back to my old form.  I guess some habits die hard.  I have been counting my strokes for about 3 weeks now.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solving the Speed Problem Video - Q&A with Terry Rss Feed  

of 2