General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Anthony's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-19 2:16 PM

User image

Lawrenceville
Subject: St. Anthony's
Any fellow Athenas/Clydes doing St. Anthony's in two weeks? I hear the water is 81 degrees, so not technically wetsuit legal... but of course, can wear suits up to 84 degrees and then just not eligible for awards.  I'm not hitting up for any awards, for sure... but has anyone done this race before? How's the water?  Definitely wear the wetsuit?  Thoughts? 

2011-04-19 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3455113

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's

I am doing it. I swim 3x a week right now at Little Harbor which is on the other side of the bay, no wetsuit for me. 

I am big into water temp for fishing and will tell you the water is warm right now. I do not know of how they are going to find that cold area this year.

2011-04-19 7:04 PM

User image

Champion

This year will be my 4th time racing St A's.  The water can get choppy depending on the weather leading up to the race.

I don't know if I would recommend a wetsuit above 76 degrees.  Above that and you run a risk of overheating, especially as a Clyde. 

I don't even know if I'm going to take my wetsuit this year.

2011-04-20 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3455593

User image

Regular
Jupiter, FL
CubeFarmGopher - 2011-04-19 8:04 PM

This year will be my 4th time racing St A's.  The water can get choppy depending on the weather leading up to the race.

I don't know if I would recommend a wetsuit above 76 degrees.  Above that and you run a risk of overheating, especially as a Clyde. 

I don't even know if I'm going to take my wetsuit this year.

I just did FAU and the water temp was 77.  I felt fine in my sleeveless wetsuit and nowhere near overheating, so it could be a personal thing.

Edited by scottuf 2011-04-20 11:15 AM
2011-04-20 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3456636

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I would check this with the RD if you haven't already. I have only been at one race where they said it was okay to wear a wet suit over 78, and you had to identify yourself pre-race and be put into another division.  You're not even ranked in your AG at all. 

But in every other +78 race it's been prohibited entirely.  Just make sure you check before packing it and planning on it. 
2011-04-22 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
Jupiter, FL

posted in the main thread over in the Florida forums, but for those not following:

• WATER TEMPERATURE (PLEASE READ): Water temperature has slowly been on the rise and current reached the 80-81 degree mark.  Conditions are currently favorable for a non-wetsuit swim but be prepared for the possibility of a wetsuit swim as well.  Several factors can affect water temperature including wind and weather over the next week.  WETSUITS: 68 Degrees is the cut off for professionals, 78 degrees is the cut off for participants if they want to be eligible for awards.  NOTE: If the water temperature is above 78 degrees but below 82 degrees, athletes will have the option to wear wetsuits but they will not be eligible for age group awards.  Additionally, you will be required to start in the final wave(s) that will be designated as THE WETSUIT WAVE(S).  If you chose to wear a wetsuit in water above 78 degrees, you MUST start in the wetsuit wave or you will be disqualified.   There will be NO AWARDS for the wetsuit wave.  We will make announcements on Friday and Saturday at the EXPO with current water temperature readings.  A final water temperature reading will be made early race morning and we will be making announcements over the PA race morning with the final ruling on water temperature and wetsuits.  Be prepared for both non-wetsuit and wetsuit swim

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Anthony's Rss Feed