General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back to swimming after shoulder pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-21 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Back to swimming after shoulder pain
So I got back in the pool this morning after a 9 day break from swimming to let my shoulder pain recede. The pain hasn't gone away yet 100%, but it's getting there. I decided to try a few laps, and ended up swimming 2500 yards this morning.

Thing I noticed is that now, after swimming, I can make motions with my arm that I couldn't do just yesterday. Could swimming have actually helped recovery somewhat? Granted, I didn't work on speed, but I did try to have a good steady pace during each interval. Either way, does it make sense that it's feeling better after swimming than it has since the pain began? I can now wash my right arm with my left arm without feeling a 'click'/slight pain in my left shoulder. I'm happy with that.

2011-04-21 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3458595

Subject: RE: Back to swimming after shoulder pain

I am right there with you.  My shoulder confuses me too.    Went to the doc... took 4 weeks off swimming as instructed.  Was feeling better but still not the ROM I was use to.   Started swimming again on Tuesday and it felt good.   It helped my ROM but when I woke up Wed the pain started back up again.  

Seeing a Occupational Therapist today to work on strength and ROM to start building it back up.   Hopefully that solves the problem.   If not I am in big trouble for my first whole tri season. 

I think the worst part is the mental stress from it.  That feeling of... all this training and now its being wasted.   I try to remind myself (and maybe others going through this) that in the scheme of life its really no big deal.   We are still a lot healthier from the exercise.  Not swimming or not being able to do a tri should only give me more time and money for other things I can enjoy such as time with family. 

2011-04-21 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Not sure why, but you might want to bottle up some of that water and start selling it.

I think there is a lot to be said for the benefits of a smooth and steady swim. Good luck with your continued recovery!
2011-04-21 10:57 AM

New user
I had issues with my sholders swimming as well. It this common like knee injuries in running?
2011-04-21 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3458676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I was more or less thinking if the movement of swimming stimulated blood flow in the shoulder area... but I'm guessing a quick 50 minute swim isn't long enough to do anything major regarding healing with more blood flow.

Maybe it's just getting better... and it's just a coincidence that I decided to swim this morning... meh... oh well, just thought I'd share my thoughts and ask the question.
2011-04-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3458750

User image

Extreme Veteran
ibndalight - 2011-04-21 10:57 AM

I had issues with my sholders swimming as well. It this common like knee injuries in running?

Any sport with repetitive movements can land you an injury if the movement you do is repetitively incorrect regarding the biomechanics of the sport... I think.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back to swimming after shoulder pain Rss Feed