General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Barefoot or minimalist running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-25 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: Barefoot or minimalist running

I'm trying to figure out if devoting a run a week to barefoot or minimalist running would be beneficial to me.

A little history I'm new to tri's.  I'm a runner and due to injuries I've started cycling and swimming to keep me in shape.  Although I really started enjoying the other sports so I thought I would give triathlon's a shot this summer.  Before my last injury I ran 5 days a week and avg about 50mpw.  A little over a year ago I was sidelined for a short time with PTT and during this time I was put in some very ridged orthotics by my PT.  Things were going well and then I was hit with chronic anterior tib tendonitis this Jan.  I've pretty much been sidelined since Jan.  I was cleared by the doctor to start running last week.  I'm starting off slow and only running 3 times a week.  I have ditched the ridged orthotics and replaced them with some green Superfeet.  So far the Superfeet seem to help with the ATT.  So here is some of my questions:

1. Has anybody had similar injuries and turned to barefoot or minimalist running. What were your results. 

2. If I started devoting 1 day to minimalist and run with my regular shoes the other 3 days would it be wise to keep my superfeet in my running shoes?

3. How do you start? I was told by my doctor if I did go this route to take it very slow.

Thanks for any help!

2011-04-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3464904

New user
Subject: RE: Barefoot or minimalist running

I tore up my knee playing soccer.  I've been put back together, but without a medial meniscus in my right knee.  For a long time after that injury/surgery, I couldn't run at all without discomfort that would last for days.  I couldn't lift at all (even on equipment/machines).

I bought a pair of FiveFingers at the suggestion of a friend who has used them to rehab from a ruptured Achilles.  I started running in them and was surprised to find that I could do so without any knee pain.  I was also surprised by how much this hammered my calves.  I think I ran 1 mile the first time I went out in them, and my calves were sore for days.  I slowed it down after that.

I don't always run in my FiveFingers, but even when I'm not, I run the way that my FiveFingers taught me to run - I don't land on my heel.  My heel tends to only lightly touch the ground in the course of a step.  That has made all of the difference for my knees.

I'm not that familiar with the conditions you identified, so I don't know whether my situation relates at all, but I do find the barefoot/minimalist argument very compelling from a biomechanical argument.

2011-04-25 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Whenever I think of minimalist zero drop , I look over at my checkered vans'and ask myself did I enjoy running the mile in gym at 16 years old with these. A barefoot run on the beach a few weeks ago taught me the the natural foot strike is much different for me than shod.I like the idea, but maybe not on concrete, or pavement. Im not sure about the proprioception argument - that the body can adjust fully to these surfaces. I tried super feet myself after pf, and thought how can they sell these things. They felt like rocks in my shoes.If I had 10 miles of soft grass to run on, I'd go for minimal or barefoot.A few short runs may be a good way to try it out. Good luck on the recovery.
2011-04-25 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I had long term foot problems due to running.  Tried all kinds of orthotics and motion control shoes, etc.  Including the green Super Feet as well as custom orthotics.  Still had foot problems.

Tried vibrams.  No more foot problems.  Now, its a very long adjustment to them.  I started at 5 minute runs a couple times a week.  I'd stay at 5 minutes until I was no longer sore in the calves from doing so.  Then did 10 minutes.  Stayed at 10 minutes until no longer sore, and  moved to 15.  You get the idea. 

So to answer your questions:  Trying vibrams or other minimalist shoes may well solve your injury problem.  But running in them takes considerable time to adjust.  I could switch back and forth, I suppose.  But why spend time running in a way that you know injures you?
2011-04-25 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
One day a week would be could. Just keep in my mind that when you are starting off, an easy pace short distance run without shoes may be equivalent to a hard run in terms of, not really wear and tear but, um, muscular/skeletal work on your feet. It is not an easy run when you start out, even if you aren't breathing hard.
2011-04-25 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3465064

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Ridgelake - 2011-04-25 3:13 PM I had long term foot problems due to running.  Tried all kinds of orthotics and motion control shoes, etc.  Including the green Super Feet as well as custom orthotics.  Still had foot problems.

Tried vibrams.  No more foot problems.  Now, its a very long adjustment to them.  I started at 5 minute runs a couple times a week.  I'd stay at 5 minutes until I was no longer sore in the calves from doing so.  Then did 10 minutes.  Stayed at 10 minutes until no longer sore, and  moved to 15.  You get the idea. 

So to answer your questions:  Trying vibrams or other minimalist shoes may well solve your injury problem.  But running in them takes considerable time to adjust.  I could switch back and forth, I suppose.  But why spend time running in a way that you know injures you?[/QUOTE]

I guess my reasoning is that I'm hoping if I can incorperate 1 day a week to minimalist running and build up to 3-5mi.   That I might prevent injury due to strengthening my foot and maybe changing my gait.  I'm hoping to get back to running longer distances such as marathons and I don't ever see my self running 26.2 in minimalist shoes.

2011-04-25 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Someone made an interesting point to me once that changing my shoes was not a cure-all for running injuries. His point was, if you spend a TON of time running and constantly use the same muscles in more or less the same way every time you run (hello 50mpw!), you're going to get some overuse injuries. Switching, then, to a different way of running might indeed alleviate your running injuries, because hey, you're not using those same muscles in the same way. You'll probably feel pretty great and believe that Vibrams or whatnot cured your problem. But if you then continue to spend a TON of time running and constantly using those same muscles more or less the same way (albeit differently than how you used to run) you're going to get some overuse injuries!

The solution to my running injuries was annoying but at least much simpler than switching shoes and running style: support the muscle groups that are getting overused. I had to realize that all the training I was doing had me essentially moving in the same way, using the same muscles. Constantly. I totally don't work out my glutes and hips and core as much as I should. I'm a runner at heart, and I truly believed that if I "cross trained" on the bike and swim I'd avoid injury--in fact, it sounds like you and me discovered triathlons for the same reason. Strengthening my glutes and hips (balance exercises, one legged squats, etc.), to provide stabilization for the knee and quads and hamstrings is what eventually cured my overuse injuries. I realized it was about finding true balance among the muscle groups.

I'm not telling you NOT to try barefoot/minimalist running shoes. Just cautioning you that it's might not be the fix to your injuries (and as some have pointed out, it can also lead to new ones if you're not careful).

That said, I do own a pair of Vibrams, though I haven't been using them lately as I work on rehabbing my own injuries. But when I was trying them out, I was spending one workout a week on the treadmill, a few minutes EASY JOGGING, a few minutes walking. Don't push in the beginning. I kept the runs pretty short and did them on a recovery/rest day/pace. Definitely felt it in the heel and in the arch of my foot. Not pain, but sudden awareness that I had muscles in the bottom of my foot.

Also, some people think you have to run on your forefoot or not let your heel touch the ground when wearing Vibrams, but I messed around with it a little and discovered that it felt better to run "normally" with a more midfoot strike and to allow the foot to relax and let the heel touch if I felt like it. Easier on the calf muscles.

Also, also, spend more time walking around barefoot at home, as this also strengthens those muscles. And you can you do towel scrunching with your toes to strengthen the bottoms of your feet (sit in a chair, lay out a towel in front of you and try to grab the towel with your toes and pull it towards you, scrunching it up).

OK. That's my $0.02. Good luck with your recovery and with your running!

2011-04-25 5:15 PM

User image

I had similar problems with my knees that you hear from alot of runners.  I tried a ton of different shoes and training programs.  Almost quit running all together.  Tried the VFF (vibrams) and BF running as a last chance effort.

HUGE difference it made.  You have to retrain your body on how to run, so take it SLOW and SHORT for awhile.  Running World's forum will help.

So now I run in Min shoes and run very fast for my size (7:07 miles @ 220-no BS), no knee issues.  My gait is much different and that was due to the retraining process.

It will kill your distance and your speed for about 6 months, so it is an investment that you HAVE to take slow, but it worked for me.

Boski

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Barefoot or minimalist running Rss Feed