General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for motivating my daughter again? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-25 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Tips for motivating my daughter again?

Last year my (then 11-yr old) daughter did an IronKids event (which she loved, with OWS) and a few months later a local super-sprint, which she HATED because some adult pushed her down and swam over her during the pool swim.

She likes to run, borrows some trainer time on occasion, and sometimes asks to join me at the pool (although I admit I haven't taken her recently).

She's now saying that triathlons aren't her thing, but I'm wondering how much is the fallout from the jerk in the pool.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping she can see the fun of a fitness lifestyle: I was thinking of "fun" runs, bikes, and swims, and trying to find any swim programs that were in between beginner swim lessons (too easy) and swim teams (too intense), and maybe later this season see if she's interested if I join one with her?

TIA,

windandsurf

2011-04-25 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3465084

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: Tips for motivating my daughter again?
Maybe you could do a race as a relay with her? Or have her form a relay team with some of her friends? Just because she doesn't want to do a tri right now doesn't mean she wouldn't enjoy the biking or running portions.
2011-04-25 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

Relay -- good idea.

Thanks.

2011-04-25 10:19 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
What are you worried about? You say "She likes to run, borrows some trainer time on occasion, and sometimes asks to join me at the pool (although I admit I haven't taken her recently)." Sounds like she does enjoy a healthy lifestyle.

I would be careful pushing too hard. That's still a little young to be placing kids into situations they are not comfortable with in the name of fun. I went through this with my kids. I did a few fun runs and tri relays with my son during his high school years. He would just go out and run 7 minute miles with no training. He had a lot of natural ability but in the end just wasn't his thing and hasn't run since.

On the other hand, I have a daughter (now 23) that ran track and swam in high school. She did an HIM with me several years ago and did a 6:10. I think it was her second tri. She ran a marathon with me several weeks ago and now her boyfriend has also joined my wife and I on several local fun runs. He wants to do his first tri this summer.

In the end, you can give them the opportunities but only they will decide if they want it to be a part of their life on a long term basis.

2011-04-26 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree with the others. I wouldn't worry about it, just encourage her to do what she enjoys. Every time I do an open-water event I consider not doing another one!  The start can be scary when you're outsized by most of the people, in her case, maybe almost everyone!  I tried a lot of swim and run events as a preteen and young teen, kept up with some of them (5K and 10K), gave up some for good (competitive pool swimming), came back to some later when I was more physically ready (marathon and half-marathon), and started some new ones years later (adventure runs, tris).  I was lucky to have encouraging but not pushy parents and coaches who gave me the freedom to explore and make decisions; sounds like your daughter is lucky, too.
2011-04-26 8:41 AM

User image

Buttercup

I agree with the other sentiments expressed here. You are setting an example of what a healthy lifestyle and attitude looks like; that's her norm. You can't make her want more than what she wants.

I was wondering why you wrote that swim team was too intense for your daughter. I was on a competitive swim team from the age of 7 (my younger sister, 6). Why don't you think your daughter can handle swim team? It jumps out to me as something she could do for HER reasons.

2011-04-26 9:15 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I think a relay is a great idea - We have 5 kids and have done relays where I swim, husband bikes and one of the teenage boys runs, they had a great time!

Our oldest daughter (8) is on swim team and will be doing her first kids tri 50/1/.25 in a few weeks.

I can totally see how swim team is NOT for some kids though I think it might be worth checking out for your daughter. Our swim team meets 4 times a week (that is a lot) and there is a LOT of smack talk and intimidation going on. Thankfully my daughter does well (this is her first season) but she has had an issue with an older boy (nothing bringing the 6'2" 18 year old brother to practice didn't solve). Our coach also does quite a bit of yelling which I am not personally a fan of. However, it is not directed toward my daughter and when I asked her about it she just said he's trying to get the boys attention (8-12yo). My point is that swim team can be very intense and intimidating but you could take her to a practice and see what she thinks.

Another option would be a local 5K, maybe she could even challenge some of her friends to do it with her. We have a 5K my sons and husband always do together.

2011-04-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3466208

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Hot Runner - 2011-04-26 9:25 AM 

encourage her to do what she enjoys.

Best tip so far

2011-04-26 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee

Patience. My 17 year old daughter and I ran 6 miles together last night. Not too long ago she might go a mile before she started griping about how hard it was and how it wasnt any fun. She now loves it and often asks "when will we run again?". She hasn't expressed any interest in tris yet, doesnt really matter to me, but she may suprise me some day.

2011-04-26 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

Thanks for the helpful replies.  Last night we had a very nice 1-mile run at dusk through a cemetery to make things interesting  Smile.  When we finished she asked when we could do it again.  Seems the big thing is consistency (on my part) to get her out on a regular basis.

Some asked why I thought swim teams were too "intense".   It's not an ability issue (I know she can handle it, she's been invited to join one), it's a scheduling issue (lots of other competing activities).

It looks like the big factor is getting a consistent routine going in between the other competing activities: I guess I'll concentrate on that and not worry about races for a while.

2011-04-26 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3466627

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Maybe the thing is she just wants to do something she can share with her Dad?  Doesn't have to be 'consistent'.  Doesn't have to be tied around an 'event' or a competition.  Doesn't have to be planned.  Just a nice run through the graveyard at dusk once in awhile might be all she needs.  Sounds like a great way to discover the fun of a fitness lifestyle.  Don't know, just a thought.

2011-04-26 11:40 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
It sounds like you are going about this in the right way.  I will set a caution in that my father pushed me hard into skiing and running as a child.  I ski raced and ran track/cross-country/fun runs into junior high.  As soon as I figured a way to stop them I did.  Way too much pressure.   It took many years for me to come back to a love of skiing (late 20s) and even longer with running (early 30s).  I sure wish I'd been encouraged and not pushed like I was.  Ironically my dad and I are much closer and discuss training a lot more these days since it's on my terms but I sure wish I hadn't lost those years of potential. 
2011-04-26 12:37 PM

Veteran
Summerfield, NC

I've got a 13 year old son who I would love to turn into the next Fabian or Phelps,  long arms and legs, huge flipper feet.  Hates to run, bike or swim but will play soccer and basketball till he pukes.  I've just got to realize that SBR ain't his thing.  I figure as long as he's active and sees me being active a healthy lifestyle will come naturally.  I can't give him desire only an example. 

Your daughter will come back around, Just give her time.   Sounds like she already has the base for a healthy lifestyle, just let her have fun.  

2011-04-26 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have 5 kids 12-soon to be 22. Our middle child started doing tris back about 5 years ago when she was 11. She bought a road bike, did 4-5 tris a year then lost interest.  She did some, short adult tris, kid tris and a kid duathlon that she won overall girl. She has done a relay with me she swam and ran and I biked. We do a tri on vacation with my extended family and any kids want to do it are encouraged as their cousins and uncle does it as well.

She started going to CrossFit with me and my husband about 1.5 years ago. I've stopped going but she continues to go with my husband. She started when she just turned 15. Folks at the CF gym thought she was 21 or older. She likes being treated as a peer and having alone time doing something she enjoys with her Dad. She comes running with me few times a month, we bike together. When we run we have the best conversations and she really opens up.

Our other kids do things with us but not as regularly. I think it is her way of spending time with us parents.

I did ask her why she lost interest in tris a year or two ago. She told me it was something I had said to her something along the lines is she was to intense. When she shared that with me, it made me feel awful.

I try now to ask any of my kids if they want to do xxx with me. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no, but they know the opportunity is there. If they only want to run 10' I'll run with them and double back home, drop them off and continue with my run. Our youngest often comes swimming with me on the weekends and she'll ride along when I run once in awhile. Reality is I do this for fun and being a good example and living a healthy lifestyle with my kids is key for me.

I agree with other thoughts, no pressure, let her lead what she wants to do, invite her to come along, or ask her if she'd like to do xxx, or maybe as you drive places you can ask do you think it would be fun to run there.

Our one child that hasn't done a tri yet, sort of dug his heels in not doing what everyone else is doing, is signed up to do Tough Mudder on his 22nd birthday/Mother's Day next month. He wants us all to come up and cheer him on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for motivating my daughter again? Rss Feed