General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why no music during the run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-25 11:43 PM
in reply to: #3465578

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Why no music during the run?
bwalling - 2011-04-25 5:29 PM

Do you know any deaf people?  They're far more aware of their surroundings than hearing people.  They don't take things for granted like we do.

I'll chime in.  I'm deaf and I'm a triathlete. I do ALL my trainings without music, even though I can hook up my iPod to my cochlear implants.  I choose NOT to because all I hear is MUSIC, I can't hear much of anything else because of the way it's set up. I probably only tried twice.   I agree with the above poster - I am MORE aware of my surroundings because I cannot hear that well.  

My point:  Why do people feel like they HAVE to have music with them while training? What's so special about music that you cannot "live" without it? You need it for motivation? So what. I don't need music to motivate myself. I use other methods. :-)

I'm alright with people listening to music while running on a closed course (track, loop runs at a park), but not in races or open roads, or roads where cars are riding on them.   I'm against people wearing them for bike rides.  If you're bored, get someone to train with you. I think it's just silly that if I don't wear them, but I have to RELY on other people to "listen" to the surroundings for me...yet they wear headphones. So I can't rely on them to pay attention. 

Just to clarify things - it's politically incorrect to say hearing Impaired. Kind of like calling little people, "midgets".   I know a lot of people still use that terminology, but we're trying to change that.

There's deaf, Deaf (yes, there's a BIG difference between little "d" and Big "D"), and hard of hearing.

Edited by CyborgQueen 2011-04-25 11:48 PM

2011-04-26 12:09 AM
in reply to: #3465436

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I welcome this no music rule...I got really tired of run events where multiple runners surrounding me had blaring music going, AT MY PACE.  you can't escape them (easily). to me it just ruins my atmosphere, and focus..especially when their music is the worst I could imagine..

it just dawned on me this is another reason why triathlons are SO MUCH BETTER than running events, you don't have runners with keys & coins jangling in their pockets, music blaring, pacing devices beeping, phones ringing, talking on their phones...whatever else.

Edited by metafizx 2011-04-26 12:10 AM
2011-04-26 6:51 AM

I am seeing more and more run races ban music.  Primary reason is safety-related.  Some of the race course is on roads with traffic and as many know, some drivers can do some crazy things and race organziers wanted to make sure that all runners were able to hear what was going on. 

2011-04-26 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3465731

User image

Runner
lamb_y2003 - 2011-04-25 9:33 PM

Thanks for your replies.  Just for clarity, I do understand that this is a rule and I abide by it, I just find it weird that you can do a race that's strictly running and listen to music but not use it for the run portion of triathlon.  You're right that it's a different sport but since you're in T2 and getting ready to do just a run, it stands to reason that music should be allowed.  That's the way it'd work if I was queen of the world anyway.  Ha.

For the record, as has been stated already, USATF used to have a complete ban on music devices in all USATF-sanctioned races. They have since relaxed the standard, and left the rule up to individual race directors. However, if I recall the rule correctly, you cannot win any prizes in a USATF-sanctioned race if you choose to wear headphones.

The reason for the rule is simply that the device can act as either a radio, or a personal coaching device (and I do not mean for cadence or whatever). Having your coach yell out splits along the side of the course is fine, as it provides everyone an equal chance of hearing it. Having advice, pacing, strategy, whatever piped directly into your ear gives the individual an advantage over others, as he/she is the only one that is privy to that information. The fact is, racing at the pointy end of the spectrum is a bit different than for the average athlete. Tactics and strategy come into play, around your competition and how you use the course to your advantage.

The safety argument stems primarily from insurance issues. It would seem that most companies providing race insurance don't seem to care much anymore, so it's become less of an issue in that regard.

I have been to races (both USATF and non-USATF) that disqualified runners wearing headphones. They didn't catch everyone, but the ones they did they enforced the policy. Other races (definitely non-USATF) promoted the use of headphones, baby strollers, and pets (effectively everything all other races ban).
2011-04-26 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Two yrs ago I witnessed a woman wearing earbuds almost killed while running an urban tri (Indy).  She could not hear the police officers' screams to STOP when a motorist had run a barricade & was driving 30+mph through what was supposed to be a closed intersection.  Car just missed her by inches & she was quite upset when she realized what almost happened (crying, etc.).  Not only such incident I've seen running or biking. FWIW- the tri involved above was USAT sanctioned, but headphone rule was not being enforced on either bike or run.

It's all about situational awareness (Darwinism if you prefer).  If your ability to hear urgent safety instruction (or other auditory cues) is impaired, so is your ability to react appropriately.  The argument regarding hard of hearing is moot.  This is their baseline, they tend to be much more attuned to using their other senses, & other athletes who may assist often B/R with them (roughly similar to visually impaired competitors).

Re rules- each governing body is free to set rules of competition as they wish. 

Edited by Oldteen 2011-04-26 8:20 AM
2011-04-26 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3466055

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON

Scout7 - 2011-04-26 7:17 AM
lamb_y2003 - 2011-04-25 9:33 PM Thanks for your replies.  Just for clarity, I do understand that this is a rule and I abide by it, I just find it weird that you can do a race that's strictly running and listen to music but not use it for the run portion of triathlon.  You're right that it's a different sport but since you're in T2 and getting ready to do just a run, it stands to reason that music should be allowed.  That's the way it'd work if I was queen of the world anyway.  Ha.
For the record, as has been stated already, USATF used to have a complete ban on music devices in all USATF-sanctioned races. They have since relaxed the standard, and left the rule up to individual race directors. However, if I recall the rule correctly, you cannot win any prizes in a USATF-sanctioned race if you choose to wear headphones. The reason for the rule is simply that the device can act as either a radio, or a personal coaching device (and I do not mean for cadence or whatever). Having your coach yell out splits along the side of the course is fine, as it provides everyone an equal chance of hearing it. Having advice, pacing, strategy, whatever piped directly into your ear gives the individual an advantage over others, as he/she is the only one that is privy to that information. The fact is, racing at the pointy end of the spectrum is a bit different than for the average athlete. Tactics and strategy come into play, around your competition and how you use the course to your advantage. The safety argument stems primarily from insurance issues. It would seem that most companies providing race insurance don't seem to care much anymore, so it's become less of an issue in that regard. I have been to races (both USATF and non-USATF) that disqualified runners wearing headphones. They didn't catch everyone, but the ones they did they enforced the policy. Other races (definitely non-USATF) promoted the use of headphones, baby strollers, and pets (effectively everything all other races ban).

I didn't address this because I'm Canadian, that's all.  I've never seen or heard of any running race that doesn't allow music here in the Toronto area.  There may be some (I've only been running for a few years) but I don't know about them and haven't run in them.  My running friends are always shocked to hear that you can't run with music in a tri.

I guess the difficulty for me is that I prefer to run alone, in training and races.  It's my alone time from being a single mom and I like to crank it up and rock out a little on my runs.  And when it starts getting hard, I do like a little musical energizer.  Perhaps I'll start dropping the music just for my long run so I can get more used to it.  And maybe, possibly embrace it.  Possibly.  

2011-04-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3465832

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
tbcoffee - 2011-04-25 10:52 PM

I almost got killed, spit on, snot rocketed, etc. by people that are paying more attention to their headphones more then their surroundings, so I like the rule.  I, on the other hand, don't understand the need for headphones while working out at all let alone during a race (unless you're on the dreadmill).  Sorry, but that's just me.

Echo this. You wouldnt believe how many times I have almost been ran into, or ran into someone else, because those wearing earphones/on the phone are not paying attention to surroundings. Its simply a safety issue.

My friends give me hell for this ("I wear headphones while running, whats the big deal?") but I like the no distractions period rule, even when training. Learn to enjoy the workout without needing music to keep you going or on pace. Enjoy being alone with yourself and your work, it is much more fulfilling.
2011-04-26 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3465534

Regular

??PULLEEESE forgive me.  I just find the argument that listening to music while running or riding is somehow "dangerous" without merit.

And if you have any spare time, please let me know what I am allowed to have an opinion on.

So if I'm reading your statement correctly, you think riding while listening to music is safe?....and if that's the case I guess little kids playing with sharp knifes is safe too??

Michael

2011-04-26 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3466227

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
MKirk - 2011-04-26 8:37 AM

??PULLEEESE forgive me.  I just find the argument that listening to music while running or riding is somehow "dangerous" without merit.

And if you have any spare time, please let me know what I am allowed to have an opinion on.

So if I'm reading your statement correctly, you think riding while listening to music is safe?....and if that's the case I guess little kids playing with sharp knifes is safe too??

Michael

Perhaps you can explain the danger, what one is supposed to hear and how one should react when he hears it?
2011-04-26 8:58 AM

User image

Champion

This happened here last year.

Yeah.  No danger at all.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Katy-Trail-jogger-dies-after-being-hit-by-bike-104252924.html

Edit to add that this doesn't mean that it's ALWAYS dangerous.  Just pointing out that it certainly CAN be.  To deny that is ridiculous.

Edited by DerekL 2011-04-26 8:59 AM
2011-04-26 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3466281

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
DerekL - 2011-04-26 8:58 AM

Yeah.  No danger at all.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Katy-Trail-jogger-dies-after-being-hit-by-bike-104252924.html

Edit to add that this doesn't mean that it's ALWAYS dangerous.  Just pointing out that it certainly CAN be.  To deny that is ridiculous.

I asked about danger while riding, in you example the jogger was the one listening to headphones. Being oblivious on a multi- use trail is always a danger. But just because one is listening to music doesn 't make them oblivious. The danger here was not looking before crossing the path. Still looking for the danger of listening to music.

Edited by the bear 2011-04-26 9:14 AM

2011-04-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3466309

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
the bear - 2011-04-26 8:12 AM

Yeah.  No danger at all.

I asked about danger while riding, in you example the jogger was the one listening to headphones. Being oblivious on a multi- use trail is always a danger. But just because one is listening to music doesn 't make them oblivious. The danger here was not looking before crossing the path. Still looking for the danger of listening to music.

The danger would be said rider cruising 15 mph on MUP listening to music aware of what is in front of him.  For some reason "Team MUP" approaches at 20+ mph and is not about to low down.  Cruiser at 15 mph startled and swerves into Team MUP.  Yes, Team MUP would be to blame as well as it is stupid...but we have stupid on the multi-use trails.

That said, I do ride and run with my ear buds and consider myself an aware and safe rider.  However, i know I am at greater risk of something ahppening when I am listening to music.

2011-04-26 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3466333

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
rayd - 2011-04-26 9:24 AM
the bear - 2011-04-26 8:12 AM

Yeah.  No danger at all.

The danger would be said rider cruising 15 mph on MUP listening to music aware of what is in front of him.  For some reason "Team MUP" approaches at 20+ mph and is not about to low down.  Cruiser at 15 mph startled and swerves into Team MUP.  Yes, Team MUP would be to blame as well as it is stupid...but we have stupid on the multi-use trails.

That said, I do ride and run with my ear buds and consider myself an aware and safe rider.  However, i know I am at greater risk of something ahppening when I am listening to music.

I could see this situation, like Derek's, happening just as easily without the music.
2011-04-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3466309

User image

Champion
the bear - 2011-04-26 9:12 AM

Yeah.  No danger at all.

I was commenting on the original topic of the thread and not responding to you.

Having said that, I think I was abundantly clear in my edit that I don't necessarily disagree with you.

2011-04-26 9:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis

Although I'd never do it myself, I'm all for music during the run. 

Darwin will help thin out the herd, and I get bonus time out of T2 when all those chuckleheads are fumbling around with their earbuds & ipods.

Color pink above if you want.

Cheers, Chris

2011-04-26 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!!

Now put that Ipod away, young lady, and get out there and run like everybody else!!

2011-04-26 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
I do all of my training runs and running races (on and off road) with music. However, I don't use earbuds. I use behind-the-neck headphones placed lightly outside the ear canal. I can hear everything/everyone around me just fine.
2011-04-26 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3465590

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Imagine if some walkers linked arms in front of you all wearing headphones and you couldn't get by...

If you're going to wear headphones when you run in a race, at least have some common courtesy and awareness of your surroundings. 

The Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot? I swear it was a conspiracy of some sort to ignore the pacing signs, line up curb to curb with dogs headphones strollers and holding hands and be completely oblivious (obliviots?) to runners trying to work their way through

2011-04-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3466212

User image

Central Oregon

I didn't address this because I'm Canadian, that's all.  I've never seen or heard of any running race that doesn't allow music here in the Toronto area.  There may be some (I've only been running for a few years) but I don't know about them and haven't run in them.  My running friends are always shocked to hear that you can't run with music in a tri.

I guess the difficulty for me is that I prefer to run alone, in training and races.  It's my alone time from being a single mom and I like to crank it up and rock out a little on my runs.  And when it starts getting hard, I do like a little musical energizer.  Perhaps I'll start dropping the music just for my long run so I can get more used to it.  And maybe, possibly embrace it.  Possibly.  

I can really relate to what you are saying. I have noticed this year however, that I am less interested than I have been in the past in listening to music while running. (I've been running for about 6 years.)

I actually wished I wouldn't have had my ipod for the 20 miler I just did b/c I had the volume down really low (necessary in a trail race) and I couldn't focus on anything other than not falling anyway. Next time I may leave it at home! I learned that I really like swimming and running technical trails simply because I cannot think of anything other than what is directly at hand.

A lot of running races here don't allow headphones. In fact, some of the larger races use it as an attraction- like the Portland Marathon is a closed course, so they allow headphones.

And then the Pacific Crest, a tri event close to where I live, allows headphones on the run course but only one ear bud can be worn.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why no music during the run? Rss Feed  

of 2