General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Races and Me and Falling Apart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-22 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Races and Me and Falling Apart
I have had a tough race season. I had a poor showing in the Dexter/Ann Arbor 10K (in all reality I was not ready). I was dissapointed in my time at the 4th of July 5K and the fact I walked some and the tri was not the best experience although I learned a lot about myself and how much I love this sport.

This weekend is the CRIM (10 mile running race). I can now run a sub 56 minute 5 miles. Considering I started out the season "running" a 15 minute mile (Run/walk) I have come a long way. I know I can phsycially run this race, albeit slowly and I am afraid I am going to blow up.

I seem to have two issues in races:

1. Pacing. I go out too fast . No matter how far back in the pack I start I start out passing people. I stop myself eventually but it usually ends in me walking more than I want, which in the ten mile race this weekend will mean walking at all. I really want to run the whole way.

2. Mental. I never seem to meet my former 320 lb self on a training run. I do in races tho. I start negative talk at some point in the race. Usually it goes like this. "What are you doing out here with the real athletes. You were huge. You can't run like the fast people. You should be home, running on your own". I have no clue why on earth I do that I try to shut that voice, which sounds remarkably like my Father, up but I am vulnerable in races.

I really want to run the CRIM the whole way. I would like to do it in 2 hours on the nose (10 mile race) and know I have the training under my belt to do it but I also have run enough races to know this is a huge problem for me. I know I cannot fix this in one race. I know that it is going to take a while but any thoughts to get this behind me would be appreciated.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-22 6:32 AM

2005-08-22 6:48 AM
in reply to: #230279

User image

Regular
Singapore during school, England during holidays
Subject: RE: Races and Me and Falling Apart
hey,
well i don't know much about your history or you as a person so what i say may not have any relevance to your situation but well here goes:
i don't believe in fate or destiny or any of that. i was always taught that if you want to do anything to achieve anything you have to do it yourself. By the sounds of it you are doing that and the courage to come into a sport like triathlons shows the courage and determination you have. The hardest step in all training is to just take that step to get to training. I have had some amazing inspirational coaches along my time and at the age of 17 I have realized that to get into the top universities or to reach the highest standards in sports I need to have self-motivation and need to do it for myself.
In terms of let-downs, I don't know where to even begin with that. I have been through tons of races and not achieved what I wanted or lost tournaments we should have one. This year we lost a soccer tournament (BIG) that we have never lost in the history of the tournament (8 years), I lost x-country champs for the first time in 5 years. All of these things would take down weaker athletes, but the stronger athletes take it in their stride and realize that its part of developing. I have come to realize one of the most importnat sides of sport is mental. I have been through multiple pysch sessions with sports pyschologists and well never give up is basically the best advice i have for anybody. i know its easier said that done and that everybody says the same thing. Injuries have put me out of sport, disappointing races have shattered me but in the end it makes you stronger, it makes you want to come out for more.

About the race issues:
I always think pacing is just a matter of maturing as a runner but I could be wrong. I think you just need to think to yourself next race to start out slow. JUst say to yourself for the first couple of miles-SLLLLOOOOW and slowly bring up the speed towards the end.
mental-like i said, this is soo important. dont think about the past or what used to be-all that matters is now!..

if you believe, you will do it. its all in the head!!
good luck
2005-08-22 6:55 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

For me, proper pacing was one of the hardest things to learn as a runner. In my second marathon, I ran the first 10K in a time that was a PR for that distance, felt great the whole way, but of course paid for it at mile 20.

Pacing takes focus and discipline. I'd suggest you purposely run the first couple of miles fifteen to thirty seconds below your goal pace, just to let yourself get into the rhythm.

Edited by the bear 2005-08-22 7:14 AM
2005-08-22 7:00 AM

Champion
You need a friend to run with. It works 2 ways, as you each porvide the motivation and positive reinforcement for each other. Ask Nikki sometime how much it means to do a race that you felt you had no business being in, but were able to break through a personal barrier because of the person who ran with you.

2005-08-22 7:06 AM
in reply to: #230304

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Yea I need somone to run with. YOU find someone as slow as me with my goals... Not easy bud! There are lots of people faster than me and lots of people who run as far as me but locally I am having a problem finding the combonation that I represent. I suspect that it will get better as I get a little faster. I do have a running buddy for training but I don't think I can pass her off as human in a race. You know it just occured to me that part of the problem is not having Mani-Nana with me when I race. I really miss her quiet strength. She is such an inspiration to me. Imagine being so dependant on my dog for my running?

Bear you are dead right about the pacing as is Lucy. I just need to sloooooow it down, even if I am in last place. I don't want to walk, I don't want to walk at all.

If I do walk I have to figure out how that is not going to make me feel like a failure. There is a line I need to find here and I am fishing hard for it right now.
2005-08-22 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Nancy,

Yup, I think it really comes down to pacing.  I checked your logs- I see your 10 mile times as 2:18 and 2:21.  2 hours would be a HUGE change.  You're able to maintain the pace you want for 5 miles, but will that leave you with enough energy for the last 5?

I'd encourage you to be kind to yourself- no matter what your time, it will be a PR for you, and give you something to improve upon.

Yesterday I raced my first Olympic and I was really hurting on the run.  I'm a really slow runner in the best of conditions and I felt quite humbled as I became aware that I was being passed by pretty much everyone left in the race.  My challenge was to just "run my own race" and find a pace that I could maintain for the 6.2 miles.  I knew if I tried to keep up with people faster than me, that I would never make it the distance.

You've accomplished amazing things this season- it certainly isn't a failure if it takes you more than 2 hours to run 10 miles.

Debi

2005-08-22 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Well actually since I did the CRIM three years ago on 2:14 it may not be a PR for me at all. This is not my first running season. Just my first running season in a while.

I thought about this while I was cutting fabric. You cannot go by my 10 mile run times too much. The first one was a run/walk combo where I was trying for 15 minute miles and the second I was going to 14 minute miles. I expect my race pace to be very close to a 12 minute mile. I am currently running sub 12 minute miles and I am not planning that.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-22 8:49 AM
2005-08-22 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Nancy,

This is a journey, not a destination. Races serve as benchmarks to let us know how far we still have left to go, that is all....think of races as a high intensity workout and you won't beat yourself up so much....tomorrow is another day of training....takes the pressure off yourself. Run as slow as you can without walking, that would be a good goal, go from there....there are many fast runners out there but I am willing to bet few if any had to overcome your 320 lbs. You are already in the win column even before you start the race. When you are in the race, just stay in the moment, focus on the miles ahead, nothing else, it is over soon. The mental part is huge, but it cuts both ways....so make it work for you...stay positive no matter what...you have everything to be positive about...

Frank
2005-08-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #230412

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Ack, great advice US50090 until you got to the "Focus on the miles ahead thing" I wig if I do that. I have to focus on each step I take rather than what's ahead. I also count down: "1 mile done only _____ to go" except I don't do that in my training at all. Only races, well sometimes my lsd.
2005-08-22 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Nancy,

As far as pacing, what works for me is to ask myself: "Can I keep this pace up for (whatever # miles left to my race/run) miles?"  If the answer is no, I slow down a little, then after I adjust to the new pace I ask myelf again.  I keep doing that until the answer is yes.  Not really scientific but it works if you know your abilities and can be honest with yourself.

As far as the voices, I talk back to mine.  Reply to those voices with all of your accomplishments...I mean geez girl, look at how incredibly far you've come!!!  I can't even begin to imagine the amount of raw courage it takes for someone with a significant weight problem to show up and race with all the genetically blessed and eternally thin and fit people.  YOU, Nancy, have more courage than they will ever need.  and more strength of character than life will ever require of them.

"You were huge."  Past tense.

"You can't run like the fast people."  Nope.  You probably can't right now.  Neither can I, or a lot of other people, or else we'd all be running 6 minute miles and racing would be pointless.  But you CAN run.  You do it all the time

Your dog:  visualize him (her?) there with you. Look down at the spot where he usually is, at your side or whatever, and see him there. I bet he dreams of running with you, too. 

You've given so much support and encouragement to BTers.  If all else fails, when that voice talks to you during a race, think of us and try to hear us encouraging YOU.  Because we are.

2005-08-22 10:19 AM
in reply to: #230421

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
nliedel - 2005-08-22 6:54 AM

Ack, great advice US50090 until you got to the "Focus on the miles ahead thing" I wig if I do that. I have to focus on each step I take rather than what's ahead. I also count down: "1 mile done only _____ to go" except I don't do that in my training at all. Only races, well sometimes my lsd.

Nancy,

My only other thought is that you might be attacking too big a distance for your level of running endurance....My approach - for what it is worth - would be to get light, quick and easy on the shorter distances before I attacked the bigger ones.....you should be able to run reasonably comfortably and not obsessing about each mile, let alone each step. It is also a huge strain on your body, and a lot of injury risk if you attempt too much too soon. I know it is motivating to have big hairy goals but they may be a bridge too far in the short run......Perhaps insert some confidence builders in there (shorter distances). Just food for thought.....when you are starining so hard, it can be a sign that you are over-reaching.....

2005-08-22 10:26 AM
in reply to: #230535

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
us50090 - 2005-08-22 11:19 AM

nliedel - 2005-08-22 6:54 AM

Nancy,

My only other thought is that you might be attacking too big a distance for your level of running endurance....My approach - for what it is worth - would be to get light, quick and easy on the shorter distances before I attacked the bigger ones.....you should be able to run reasonably comfortably and not obsessing about each mile, let alone each step. It is also a huge strain on your body, and a lot of injury risk if you attempt too much too soon. I know it is motivating to have big hairy goals but they may be a bridge too far in the short run......Perhaps insert some confidence builders in there (shorter distances). Just food for thought.....when you are starining so hard, it can be a sign that you are over-reaching.....

I always stress over long races. I ran 12 miles last week in my lsd so a 10 mile race is not too much. I have been training for this race all summer long. This is my A race for the summer season and not doing the race would be a huge defeat to me. I am trained for it and run longer than it once a week. I am read to go on it. I am nervous because it has been a long road back this summer from two years of a lot of pregnancy bedrest and hospital time but that is it. I am feeling physically good and strong so I cannot imagine not doing this race.

I am never going to be "Light and quick" so waiting till I am would just mean never racing at all.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-22 10:27 AM
2005-08-22 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I re-wrote this post about 300 times. It was a bunch of stuff to convince someone on the internet I am ready for a race that I know I am ready for. It does not matter if anyone else thinks so andI dont need permission. Honestly I don't know why I am defensive if someone tells me I should not do something. I know I can do it. I might not be fast but the job will get done.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-22 10:51 AM
2005-08-22 11:18 AM
in reply to: #230296

User image

Lucy,

Great, great advice!  This looks like BT article material (hint, hint).

Michele

2005-08-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: #230574

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
nliedel - 2005-08-22 8:43 AM

I re-wrote this post about 300 times. It was a bunch of stuff to convince someone on the internet I am ready for a race that I know I am ready for. It does not matter if anyone else thinks so andI dont need permission. Honestly I don't know why I am defensive if someone tells me I should not do something. I know I can do it. I might not be fast but the job will get done.

You don't have to justify yourself to anybody, and nobody is trying to tell you what to do....what it is are suggestions, ways of thinking, food for thought....not meant the way it was received....
2005-08-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #230675

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
us50090 - 2005-08-22 12:49 PM

nliedel - 2005-08-22 8:43 AM

You don't have to justify yourself to anybody, and nobody is trying to tell you what to do....what it is are suggestions, ways of thinking, food for thought....not meant the way it was received....

Well of course it is all those things. In the end it was not your voice (not that I know it) saying that stuff anyway it was my Dad telling me that at 115 lbs I was a fat pig! (I showed him! I got to 320 lbs. Take that Dad.. umm wait.. I think that backfired). We can only put the voices of our experience here and when you asked me a perfectly legitimate question I didn't hear *your* voice I heard something else. So, to answer your question, without my Dad in it. Thanks for the thoughts but I am ready for this race. Now if I could do it without my Dad's voice in it and pace myself properly I could do better than I did three years ago. After all, as my hubby pointed out, I am better trained for it now then I was then.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-22 12:04 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Races and Me and Falling Apart Rss Feed