Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-29 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3470480

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: 2 stroke vs. 3 stroke breathing

<disclaimer> I started swimming back in August, so I'm no expert for certain but I'll throw in my newbie perspective.

I started out breathing on one side and noticed that my left arm would get more tired than my right because it was primarily doing the pushing to roll my fat butt to the right so i could breath.  after a few months i switched to breathing bilaterally and my right arm would get really sore because i was using it in ways I hadn't before because i never breathed on the left.

Now, i consistently breath bilaterally every 3rd stroke and it feels great.  I think it not only helps me track straighter, but it gives a more even workout.  If I'm always breathing to one side, I'm using one arm a little more (or at least differently) than the other.

2011-04-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3472997

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

mrbbrad - 2011-04-29 9:42 AM I breathe when I need to and that varies based on effort. I can breathe to either side and vary from 4 strokes to 2 strokes between breaths. The harder I go, the more often I breathe. The easier I go the less often I breathe. I've played around and gone 7 strokes but I had to go very easy and really focus on a slow steady exhale.

I'm the same way, but the mention of breathing every 7 strokes makes me think of sets I've had coaches prescribe.  A set of 100's that rotates through a cycle of breathing every 3rd stroke for the first 100, every 5th for the 3rd 100, and every 7th for the 3rd 100, then the cycle starts over again with #4.  All these are done on a set time interval, so you need to keep pushing fairly hard while maintaining an efficient stroke so you don't go into oxygen debt.

2014-02-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: mjewen

User image

New user
That is interesting, I might try that if I am coordinated enough lol
2014-02-28 9:55 AM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I think we can all agree on two things:

1) Bilateral breathing is a useful skill for open water swimming
2) Breath at the rate that feels natural. There is no right answer.

My take is you should tailor your breathing to the distance and pace. You don't run a 5k the same way you run a marathon so you shouldn't swim a sprint triathlon the same as an ironman. My longest continuous swims are under 1000y so for me, that means breathing every 2 strokes and swimming hard.

A fun drill to really test your form is to breath every stroke :-) Works especially well when combined with the catch-up drill
2014-02-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Here is some info to digest:

Breathing every stroke provides your body with the most oxygen. However, for many triathletes that can come at a cost, why? Because many non-elite swimmers have stroke issues when they breathe. For example, many when breathing on the right, drop their left arm in the water and usually don't notice it.

I think it is important to develop balanced breathing on both sides, specifically for race conditions. What if you are a left sided breather and the swim is parallel to shore with waves crashing in? Well in that case you would want t be breathing on your right to protect yourself from the waves. Such cases such as this is why it is important t be able to breathe well on both sides.

Now with using hypoxic breathing intervals in swim sessions, well no research has shown that it will increase your lung capacity, or have you become a more efficient swimmer, better performing, etc.

I breath both sides in my warmup and cool down and depending on what I am aiming to accomplish in my main set. If I have a hard set of 100-200's on hard times I want to MAXIMIZE my oxygen consumption so ill breathe every stroke. If I am doing something more chill, or doing 400's on more relaxed time then I will breathe both sides.
2014-02-28 11:04 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by bcagle25

Here is some info to digest:

Breathing every stroke provides your body with the most oxygen. However, for many triathletes that can come at a cost, why? Because many non-elite swimmers have stroke issues when they breathe. For example, many when breathing on the right, drop their left arm in the water and usually don't notice it.

I think it is important to develop balanced breathing on both sides, specifically for race conditions. What if you are a left sided breather and the swim is parallel to shore with waves crashing in? Well in that case you would want t be breathing on your right to protect yourself from the waves. Such cases such as this is why it is important t be able to breathe well on both sides.

Now with using hypoxic breathing intervals in swim sessions, well no research has shown that it will increase your lung capacity, or have you become a more efficient swimmer, better performing, etc.

I breath both sides in my warmup and cool down and depending on what I am aiming to accomplish in my main set. If I have a hard set of 100-200's on hard times I want to MAXIMIZE my oxygen consumption so ill breathe every stroke. If I am doing something more chill, or doing 400's on more relaxed time then I will breathe both sides.

very good reply. That is exactly how it should be.

Developp the tools so you can breath both side. it will come handy in racing.

When in main set or racing; BREATH EVERY 2!!!!

2014-02-28 12:11 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by popsracer

Today in the pool I decided to try 3 stroke breathing and as odd as it felt at first it seemed to keep me in a more balance rotation. I was also keeping my head down for longer periods of time which felt like a more streamlined position. I would like to keep developing my 3 stroke breathing if it is indeed faster than 2 stroke. Is it?

Supposedly, you shave of a little bit of time breathing less frequently because the stroke you breathe on is slightly slower than the other strokes, but there comes a point where lack of air impacts your performance. It's very individual if it makes you faster or not.

But if you feel mroe comfortable then keep going, IMO you'll build the fitness to perform well breathing every 3.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 stroke vs. 3 stroke breathing Rss Feed  

of 2