General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain caused by swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-28 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
Subject: Elbow pain caused by swimming?
Hi all, starting to train for my first tri (sprint).  I've been in the pool about 7 times now.  I'm not a good swimmer, but I can tell it's getting easier each time I go.  Here's the trouble:  I am having pain right where my triceps tendon inserts onto my elbow - so it's not epicondylitis (tennis or golf elbow).  I know you can't see me swimming, but any thoughts?  I'm looking into swim lessons, just haven't been able to coordinate my schedule with the lesson schedule yet.  Thanks.

2011-04-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3471602

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-28 2:24 PM

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: RE: Elbow pain caused by swimming?

I'm putting on my former competitive swimmer cap.....

It's definitely from a different motion than your body is used to.  That's a common elbow pain location when you're swimming.   Try not to over do it, and ease into the swimming part, and ice afterwards.  

It could also be that your stroke isn't quite right.     Do you have access to a Masters swim program near you?  They might be able to help you out, and they often swim very early in the morning - might work better for your schedule?    Also, if you can fit lessons into your schedule, see if someone can come and videotape you.  It's a huge help to see what you actually do, rather than what you FEEL like you do.  

2011-04-28 2:53 PM

Veteran
Salt Lake City

Thanks -

Not strength training right now, would love to but trying to find some more time :-)

Thought it's probably related to just being new to swimming.

Definitely trying to get some lessons....

2011-04-28 3:00 PM

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
I was experiencing the same problem (which I self diagnosed as tennis elbow) in my left elbow. Mine was a mechanical problem with my stroke. I was locking my left elbow as I was pulling down through the water. I did a swim clinic where they filmed me underwater and you could see that my right arm had a pretty good stroke but my left arm remained straight. When I started bending my elbow the pain went away.
2011-04-28 3:25 PM

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

I had what sounds like the same problem. I ended up changing my stroke from what a swimming coach said I should be doing to the stroke I saw in the TI videos. No more pain.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain caused by swimming? Rss Feed