St. Anthony's Triathlon
78.5F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 46s
Overall Rank = 1015/2004
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 29/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up REALLY early, 3:20 am. Showered to wake up a little, ate my regular race day breakfast of toast, crunchy peanut butter and 1% milk. Drove from home to race, about 50 min. Found a parking spot a few blocks away. Got into transition when it opened, got everything set up, used the porti-pottie then found a place near the massage tent out of the wind and laid down and just rested for 45 minutes or so. Went back to transition to get sunscreen and shed my shorts and jersey then headed to swim start.
Event warmup:

After watching the men and women professionals exit the swim I found a place out of the wind again and waited for my wave. About 20 minutes before my wave start, I went through a dynamic stretch warm up followed by some static calf and hamstring stretches. Jumped in with my wave as we moved to the start corral and waited for the horn to blow.
Swim
  • 20m 28s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was exactly what I expected. Started out middle of the pack, made the turn, tried to get into a rhythm and actually swim with my face in the water. Was only able to get in a few strokes before my goggles started leaking. I think the seal was on the swim cap causing the leak. Ended up pulling the goggles down around my neck and swimming Tarzan style. Rest of swim went like all of my swims, slow and straight. Rounded last bouy and headed for the flags. Because of my early wave start there were still a lot of people cheering as we exited the water. Run to T1 was very long but I got to see the male pros pass again as they started the run.
What would you do differently?:

MUST WORK ON THE SWIM!!!! This is my biggest weakness. Must do more OWS as part of my training.
Transition 1
  • 05m 35s
Comments:

Besides the long run to T1, my in and out of transition was pretty good. My rack was the most northeast rack in the bunch. Follow the outside fence to the end and there it is. Had two issues during T1. First I forgot to check the fit of my aerohelmet during set up. I have a Rudy Project with the quick adjust head band. It was too small when I went to put it on. Had to mess with that before taking my bike off the rack. As I exited T1 I bumped my left cleat and it popped off the pedal. Fortunately it was rubber banded to the bike so it didn't fall off and get left on the ground, it just drug the ground until I was able to grab it. Held the strap in my teeth as I mounted the bike. I normally mount from the left but because I had no cleat on that side I had to mount from the right. As I switched sides I drug my left big toe on the ground and scraped it pretty bad. I must have look like a mess heading out on the cobbles. Was able to get my cleat on with no problems after getting up to speed.

Check helmet fit during transition set-up.
Check tension on left cleat, that side unclips too easily.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Longest race ride so far. Thought it went well. After the rough start I settled down, got into a comfortable cadence and started picking people off. Things were going great until the 5th mile when at a police manned intersection, a car pulled out in front of me. I only had about 25-30 feet to react. She finally saw me and stopped with the entire front, up to the driver's door, in the right lane. Still don't know how I got around her. God was with me on that one. After I passed her, one of the riders behind me said I was so sideways at one point, that he could read the label on my downtube. HR almost hit 200. Took about a mile to get settled down again. Things went really well for the next 12 miles, then started getting a burning in the saddle area, good thing I put the small Chamois Butt'r in the Bento box. After that the rest of the bike was uneventful.

Aerobar mounted missile launcher and more lube on the seat during set-up.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Had a little trouble re-racking the bike due to another bike not leaving any room on my side. Got a look at my toe before putting on shoes, knew it was going to be a painful run.

Bike faster, get back to the rack before the other guy.
Run
  • 56m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to pee from the start, but refused to stop or go on myself, just held it to the end. Toe bled through the top of my shoe before I hit the half mile mark. Painful but not too bad. Quads felt like they would cramp at any moment but never did. Made myself take fluids at every station despite need to go. Near the halfway point the had Gatorade with ice cubes in it. Took a sip chewed an ice cube then drained off the liquid and put the ice in my hat. That felt good. Made sure to take advantage of the people spraying the hoses. You can't spray a Clyde too much. Kept a steady pace for the most part and finished the same distance behind the guy I followed out of T2.

Not much, this was my first run of this distance so I am pretty happy with my results.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel over the head, water, Ironman Preform and head for some shade. Worked my way back to the Medical Tent to get my toe cleaned up then went to the massage tent. Got my 10 minute free massage on my calves, hamstrings and quads. Went to the food tent then the beer truck and ate in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to swim correctly. Would have liked to been in the 20+ mph on the bike but didn't know how hard to push.

Event comments:

Definitely a repeat race for me. Will work to better my time next year.

Last updated: 2010-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:28 | 1000 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/67
Overall: 1830/2004
Performance: Average
Suit: Canari Tri Suit
Course: Changed from original course due to high wind and waves. Started about 3/4 of a mile north of transition. New course went out from the beach northeast for 200 yards then turned south for 600 yards before turning northwest for 200 yards and returning to the beach south of where it started. No stairs on the altered course, however the new swim location was almost 2/3 of a mile from T1. Made for a long run on sidewalk.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:20 | 24.85 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/67
Overall: 1267/2004
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mix of everything - out and back, lollipop, and loop. Same course as usual. Wind was out of the NNE at beginning of day and seemed to shift to more of a ENE direction as the day progressed. Because of all the turns you could hammer on the tailwind sections and battle the headwinds.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:21 | 06.21 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/67
Overall: 0/2004
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back through a very nice neighborhood. Great scenery and wonderful fans. Plenty of water stations and a ton of volunteers. The people with the hoses were my favorites.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-01 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2011-05-01 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3476656

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Nicely done!
2011-05-02 5:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast

Congratulations out there, Chris!  Way to go!  When it's a new distance for you (or course), it's always tough knowing just how hard to push it.  Can't wait to see what you do next year!

BTW, I'm sponsored by Ryder as well and I'm pretty sure I saw you out there on the bike course.  Thanks for the shout out! Cool  See you at FIT!

2011-05-07 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Dude, nice job. Bloody toe, close call on the bike, that is an eventful race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed