United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 48s
Overall Rank = 425/1839
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 307/94
Pre-race routine:

Up too early for a Sunday, had a little breakfast and packed for the race. Decided on shorts and a tee, but through in the arm warmers and gloves just in case.

Picked up my SIL then Dud and Kara at Dudleys house then headed up to the race site.
Event warmup:

Just walking into the arena to find a bathroom and stay warm until time to head to race start. It is nice that they have use of the facility as it provides plenty of space and rest rooms for everyone with very little race.

Other than some light stretching and walking around, used the slower first mile as a warmup.
Run
  • 1h 49m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Lined up with Dud about 1:50 group. I didn't do much of a taper for this but Friday and Saturday was pretty low intensity. But did spend a lot of time on my feet Saturday catching up on some spring cleaning. But I wasn't really sure how the legs would react.

Star Spangle Banner, wish Dud well as we figured we would get seperated in the crowd the we were off!

First mile or so is down hill then flat through downtown areas of Rochester for the next 4 or 5 miles. Some great smelling baked goods and occasional bacon had me questioning why I didn't do the 5K option.

Was holding comfortably to a 7:55 split so decided to go for the 1:45 time, but that got derailed on the up hill towards Highland Park. Started to have some calf cramps. Nothing debilitating, but it did force me off my pace some, add in the upcoming hills and whammo, 1:45 becomes 1:50. Haven't had to deal with cramps in a race in a few years.

Through the park and onto the cemetary. Reading the dates and names helped keep my mind occupied. There are some famous dead people in there, like Susan B Anthony and some guy that was a suspect in the Jack the Ripper mysteries, I'm told, but mostly just people that have been there a while. The biggest challenge through the first part of the cemetary is a short section of cobblestones that aren't in great shape, and some fairly short but steep sections of ups and downs.

Out of the cemetary and off to the canal path. Some frustration here as it is flat and just couldn't pick up the pace like I had hoped. But I got over myself as I wasn't planning to PR this when I started and I just needed to enjoy the day.

Getting past the canal path and onto the stretch to the finish brought a little extra effort with the crowds cheering. Great that so many people came out to support this! Saw the clock hit !:49:00 and push to try and stay under 1:50:00. Snuck it in just under, so I was happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

I think the base of my problem was that I should have done a better job hydrating on Saturday and early Sunday. Instead of drinking coffee on the way to the race I should have been drinking the extra Infinit that I had with me. It is easy to forget to drink enough when the temps are comfortable.

A couple of the early miles might have been a bit too fast for this distance too.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water with Dudley who came in right behind me (I better get my bike and swim trainig up to speed or I will be buying some steaks come July!) and waited for the others to come in. After Tanya finished we grabbed some food and waited for Kara.

Event comments:

Fleet Feet/Yellow Jacket does a great job with this race, especially considering it is only the second year.

Last updated: 2011-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:48 | 13.1 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/94
Overall: 425/1839
Performance: Average
Course: Out east side of Rochester then back through Highland area, through Mt. Hope Cemetary then back home along the canal path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Flower City Half Marathon

2011-05-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3477459

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: RE: Flower City Half Marathon

Maybe you should have stopped for some of that bacon.  It would have brought you salt content up and maybe the calf wouldn't have been an issue! 

Nice race even with the calf issues.

2011-05-02 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Its like Mike says reststops should have bacon. 

Nice job ken, just buy the steaks now and get it over with. 

2011-05-04 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Way to go Ken!!! Glad the weather was nice for you as well!
2011-05-05 4:32 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Great Race report.  Great effort.

Congratulations on another excellent Half Mary time...

2011-05-05 5:15 PM

User image

Expert

Great job, Ken! Funny how it can be hard to pick up the pace on a flat. I know I get the same feeling.

Don't know who will be buying steak in July. Should be close and fun!

2011-05-05 8:06 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Wow, sweet running despite calf cramps and no bacon!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flower City Half Marathon Rss Feed