General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vibrams and Torn Meniscus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-02 10:34 PM

New user
Subject: Vibrams and Torn Meniscus

Well...in a previous post, I shared that I had an MRI done on my knee recently and was told I have a torn mensicus.  Well...had my visit with the ortho doc...and he basically told me I have two options....I can get the surgery done, get it cleaned up, etc.....or stop running/ hard impact sports (my knee doesnt hurt when I am not running).   I told him I had to think about it.  I have mixed feelings about getting the surgery done...would rather not get cut if I dont have to.

I have heard and read in other websites that switching to barefoot running (using Vibrams) is an option and can avoid the pain by changing the way I run. 

Has anyone heard this same thing or actually been successful at avoiding the pain by switching? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...!!

2011-05-03 3:59 AM
in reply to: #3478933

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Vibrams and Torn Meniscus

Oki, I had the same thing as you, no pain except after running, but was pushing through it with training for a 70.3 in June.  Then in mid-March I was out for a light run and my knee collapsed under me and forced me to have MRI, x-rays etc as I couldn't walk without pain.  I had the same prescription as you and decided to have the operation, the surgeon stated bluntly that the knee pain would disappear afterwards and I should be able to continue competing.

Well, six weeks after the incident, I had the surgery (arthroscope) last week and walked out of the hospital afterwards.  A week later and you wouldn't know that I've ever had a problem, I can walk freely and sometimes have to stop myself limping, I've been doing it so long my mind can't fathom that there is no pain.  I have six weeks of exercises and gently pushing it, like walking in water, to strengthen the muscles.  The surgeon (also a triathlete Cool) is confident I will be able to resume running and road cycling before the end of June, which is astonishing and obviously dependent on how the recovery comes along.  

I can only recommend having it done if the meniscus is torn, but of course it depends on your circumstances and the extent of the tear.  I'm 48 and doctors estimated it had been tearing for about 10 years so I didn't really have much choice.  But man, it feels good now! 

2011-05-04 12:07 AM
in reply to: #3479041

New user

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.  Reading your post has really made me think twice about having the surgery.  Like you I was contemplating just continuing my runs...and dealing with the pain.  But I figure, I might end up in a similar situation, with my knee giving out...and end up doing the operation anyways.  Definitely will think through it...and will probably go for it...!!

2011-05-04 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3481007

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Honestly, getting it clipped is not a big recovery time. And while there are risks, for sure, I've always found that the discomfort level drops dramatically after the surgery.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vibrams and Torn Meniscus Rss Feed