General Discussion Triathlon Talk » White Lake II 70.3 on 5/14 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3481620

Subject: RE: White Lake II 70.3 on 5/14

if i could just omit the short stretch on overlyon road, my time would have been much better...

the bike gods were not very happy with me once i made the right turn onto overlyon road... first flat on the way down, changed it,  noticed the sidewall of my bontrager tire (100 miles on it) was cut...uh oh. made it to the turn around on my way back to the main road and it blew again. patched it and pressed on seeing how far it would last. as i was about to make the turn onto the main road for the last 16 miles it went again. needless to say, running clinchers, i dont carry an extra tire. waited for the bike techs, they gave me a new tire and i was finally on my way. all in all it probably cost me 35-40 minutes. 

at least we didnt get fog'd out. but holy cow, the run was hot/humid!

2011-05-15 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3499898

User image

Master
Raleigh
gvmhlal - 2011-05-15 12:38 AM

if i could just omit the short stretch on overlyon road, my time would have been much better...

the bike gods were not very happy with me once i made the right turn onto overlyon road... first flat on the way down, changed it,  noticed the sidewall of my bontrager tire (100 miles on it) was cut...uh oh. made it to the turn around on my way back to the main road and it blew again. patched it and pressed on seeing how far it would last. as i was about to make the turn onto the main road for the last 16 miles it went again. needless to say, running clinchers, i dont carry an extra tire. waited for the bike techs, they gave me a new tire and i was finally on my way. all in all it probably cost me 35-40 minutes. 

if that ever happens again, find a piece of paper (dollar bill-like) or what have you, double it over or so and place it in the tire between the tube and the inside of the tire...it'll help stop debris from touching the tube in the gash

2011-05-15 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3500011

User image

Master
Charlotte
halfpint - 2011-05-15 2:29 PM
gvmhlal - 2011-05-15 12:38 AM

if that ever happens again, find a piece of paper (dollar bill-like) or what have you, double it over or so and place it in the tire between the tube and the inside of the tire...it'll help stop debris from touching the tube in the gash

Always keep a $10 bill in your bag.  Buys a gatorade or fixes a cut tire!

2011-05-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3499898

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, NC
gvmhlal - 2011-05-15 12:38 PM

The heat destroyed me on the run.  Of course the first 'hot day' of the year happened to be when we were all doing a half. 

I imploded on the run.

2011-05-16 9:28 AM

Lewis Center, Ohio

To those who were wondering... the lake was indeed fogged in at 7am.  The race director announced a delay at 6:45a, saying that a decision would be made at 7:45. 

My wife and I were on a rack with several guys who were racing for the second week in a row, hoping to finally do the swim.  Needless to say, they were not thrilled with the announcement.  But there was a general optimism that the race director would do everything he could to avoid a second cancellation.  Around 7:25a it was finally announced that it was clear enough to go.  Everyone was thrilled.  There was still fog, but you now make out the two turn buoys from shore.

Several waves were compressed and the waves went off 3 min apart instead of the planned 5.  This made for a more crowded course, but it wasn't horrible.  The first two waves had only 14 min notice of their start.  There was a bit of scrambling at that point amongst those who hadn't yet donned wetsuits or made their final porta-john stop.

Bike had a bit of a headwind in the middle section.  Turning onto 53 for the long home stretch, I expected it to become a tailwind.  Nope, still a headwind for quite a number of miles!  Hmmmm? I think the course was also a bit more crowded than it might have been with a normal start.  I ran into one pack in particular that was drafting like crazy.  There weren't a lot of officials visible on the course.

As other have said, the run was hot.  I made good use of every aid station.  My legs had really had it by the end, as I'd run my first HIM just two weeks prior at the TryCharleston.  I managed to finish within 4 min of that time, though, so I was happy.

It was around the 7 hour mark that the storm rolled in.  It was crazy hard.  The poor caterers were trying to serve food while their tent was threatening to lift off!  Thankfully, my wife had safely finished around the 6:40 mark.  We felt really bad for those still stuck on the course.

2011-05-22 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3499280

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
argylemonkey - 2011-05-14 8:13 PM

I sat around too long after the finish and got the bottom fell out while we were schlepping all my gear back to the car.  Driving out it got even worse.  We got behind the Setup truck that was offering to pick people up on the run but nobody took up the offer.  We are a crazy group of people aren't we?

How long they keep the course open. They said the rain started at 2:30 pm. That's 7+ hours after the start??????? As a side note I don't consider them crazy but rather stupid..

2011-05-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3512751

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC

doubleplay - 2011-05-22 8:30 PM
argylemonkey - 2011-05-14 8:13 PM I sat around too long after the finish and got the bottom fell out while we were schlepping all my gear back to the car.  Driving out it got even worse.  We got behind the Setup truck that was offering to pick people up on the run but nobody took up the offer.  We are a crazy group of people aren't we?
How long they keep the course open. They said the rain started at 2:30 pm. That's 7+ hours after the start??????? As a side note I don't consider them crazy but rather stupid..

The course was supposed to close 8 hours after the start so somewhere around 3:40 that afternoon.  If I had spent 7+ hours out there and was only a mile away I probably would have done the stupid thing too.  Hopefully I will never have to make that decision!

2011-05-23 5:59 PM

Edited by trophyhusband 2011-05-23 6:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » White Lake II 70.3 on 5/14 Rss Feed  

of 2