Wall Stretches
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

First time I started a tri with the bike event. I ran with my bike shoes, instead of my running shoes. Turned out to be the better option for me, but the vast amount of folks had their running shoes on.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the race at a somewhat easy pace, but found myself going at a good clip. I used the higher gears for the first half of the race and used the lower gear for the remainder. Saw one person with a broken chain and two flat tires. I fortunately came out unscathed. Changing the Flashpoints aren't easy.
Nutrition went very well. I quartered two Stinger waffle cookies and did the same for the peanut butter Cliff bar. After the first hour I ate one to two small pieces, trying to let it melt in my mouth. Every ten miles I would repeat this and I never felt hungry or thirsty the entire ride. Used one water station
What would you do differently?:

Biking with Gerry really helped me get out this year biking. Wouldn't do anything different and I'm happy with my time. Still can't believe I was able to maintain an average of 19 mph for 56 miles though.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

No mistakes made.

Stop the Garmin and don't take it off the bike. I REALLY wanted to see the results on the Garmin Connect site and now it's lost. I know I had that data, until I set it up for the run.
Run
  • 2h 28m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this was by far my weakest event, I tried something different. Just before the race, my friend Nathan, told me he runs 1/2 marathons by running two minutes and walking 1 minute. So, knowing I haven't run anything over nine miles, I decided to do the first half of the race running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute. I did this until the turn-around point and ran the remainder of the run. My time was still terrible, but I felt fine at the end.

All depends on my feet. I've made progress before only to have relapses. My hope is my new chiropractor team will finally "fix" my foot so I can actually train properly for the run portion. So far it's doing okay.
Post race
Warm down:

Rolled feet, foam roller routine, wall stretches and heavy use of The Stick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PF
Mistake #1 I did NOT bring my recovery drink.
Mistake #2 I did NOT bring my Voltaren, which I hardly use, but it would have been very helpful after the race.
Mistake #3 Note to self, buy Optigen, the new formula for recovery.

Event comments:

My adductors in both legs seized up on me in an excruciating way last night after the race. So bad I thought I was going to be sick. The Stick saved the day. I was also worried it might happen during my sleep, but it was okay.

Last updated: 2011-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/367
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Fog, this was the most disappointing part of the day. Not only for me, but for everyone else there. The sad thing is that the fog lifted as we were getting ready to start waves to bike. This would have been my strongest part of the event.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:54:29 | 56 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Performance: Good
Had my Garmin, remembered to start it and stop it. Took it off the bike for the run, changed it to the run and lost all my data for the bike :-( Disappointing.
Wind: Little
Course: Very flat, roads decent most of the way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:28:36 | 13.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 10:20 AM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Subject: White Lake Half I

2011-05-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3487705

Lewis Center, Ohio
Subject: RE: White Lake Half I

Nice report! I appreciate hearing details as my wife and I are coming down from OH for next week's Half.

Bad break with the fog.  So how was the start handled?  I've never been in a race where the swim was canceled, but I thought they usually turned the race into a Duathlon.

2011-05-09 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3487724

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: White Lake Half I

Thx!  We all went in groups of ten by waves.  Just as if we were starting the swim in waves, they "corral" us and count off 10 people and we all run to our bikes.  Then the next group will go.  Some folks wore their running shoes, some their bike shoes.  I chose to wear my bike shoes and it worked out for me.  The majority wore their running shoes though.

We almost did get to swim, but the lifeguards had already left. With the swim my favorite part of the event, it was disappointing but I still had a great time and Setup Events did all they could. 

I hope the weather cooperates for you next weekend, it's a crazy place for weather out there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half I Rss Feed