General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 Cycling race report thread. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-06-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3487847

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: 2011 Cycling race report thread.
You have spent too much time at rounded bethel course, Rudy.We have to get you out to a technical crit sometime.

2011-06-28 2:53 PM

Pro
yep,
First Crit race of the year and well ever is tomorrow night.  A buddy of mine and I will be doing our first road races.  Mainly tri'er who why not give some road racing a try.  I'll update this later this week with how we did. 
2011-06-28 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Good luck!
2011-06-29 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Did another crit last night.  Actually, make that 2.

Tuesday night series in Matteson, IL.  Rode over from home (just a little over 7 miles), but got there too late to get into the first race.  Or so I thought.  2nd lap in a 15 lap race and there is a man down in the B group (split into A's and B's based on ranking and speed, they are self selected).  Race called while an ambulance came to pick up the guy that hit face first.  He will be ok, but they did it as a precaution. 

So I rode with everyone while he was getting taken care of and was able to jump into a quick 10 lap race.  Since it was so short, they were off like a bat out of hell right off the bat and I was only able to last about 3 laps before I was spat out the back like I was standing still.  I knew it was going to be like this, though, because in reality, I'm still recovering from the Oly I did on Sunday.  Set a PR in that one too (almost 21 mph for a 40k).

So we all cool down, get lined up and it is going to be a 20 lap race.  Great!  Off we go and THANK GOD they actually start it off a bit slower.  So I'm able to hang for at least the first 9-10 laps.  There was a young lady in with us that was all of about 19-20 and she was SMOKING fast.  By this point, the B group has been split up into 2 groups but I can't even hang with the second one, so I take it VERY easy for 2 laps to let them catch back up to me and lap me.  They do and I'm on them again.  And this time I'm determined to stay with them. 

With about 3 laps to go, one guy makes a move off the front.  None of us respond immediately, but 4 of us form a quick line and start to slowly bring him back over the next lap.  With 2 to go, I'm on the front, but slowing a bit.  Older guy comes up next to me and says hop on.  So I do.  Back stretch is into the wind so I'm able to draft and recover a bit.  Bell lap and I pull in front of him.  I know I will not be able to sprint because I'm recovering, but I want to at least practice pulling hard for someone and letting them go.  He is on my wheel and a younger guy is on his (we dropped the 4th guy).  I put my head down into the back stretch and wind and actually continue to accelerate.  My legs are absolutely screaming at me.  I'm in all kinds of pain.  Panting like a dog, but the mph continues to rise.  I couldn't believe it but it was happening.  Around the last corner and I'm still in the saddle pushing it up as much as I can.  I feel him on my right side and so up out of the saddle I go to try to sprint.  100ft to go and I'm barely able to stay out of the saddle my legs are in so much pain.  He pulls ahead and the younger guy is on his wheel but can't quite do it.  Accross the line we go and it is over.  I'm no where NEAR placing, but I was able to practice some strategy and pulling.  In reality, we went from being over a 1/2 lap back from the front pack to less than a 1/4 lap back in 3 laps.  And alot of that was because of me.

On the cool down lap, the older guy thanked me and told me I did a good job.  That felt good.  All of it felt good. 

I know these guys are in much better shape than I am.  I still need to get my volume up.  Work and life have been getting in the way.  But I still love doing it.

There was one more race, but I was so beat there was no way I was going to do it.  I was spent.  That and I had to ride back home and by the time that race would be over it would be dark and I didn't have any lights.  So I called it a night.  Got home and downed a big bottle of beer and 2 glasses of wine.  They never tasted so sweet. 
2011-06-29 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Nice job Crowny!!!  Fastest way to quicker bike splits in Tri's is doing exactly what you are doing. There is no better interval or LT workout than a fast paced crit!!!  Keep at it, soon you will be going for a podium spot!!!  Nice work!!!!

2011-06-29 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3572541

User image

Champion
Rudedog55 - 2011-06-29 9:18 AM

Nice job Crowny!!!  Fastest way to quicker bike splits in Tri's is doing exactly what you are doing. There is no better interval or LT workout than a fast paced crit!!!  Keep at it, soon you will be going for a podium spot!!!  Nice work!!!!

Thanks!! 

I know it has had an affect on my TT splits for Tri's.  I've never gone this fast before.  Not only do they help physically, but they help mentally because I now know I can not only go faster, but I've gotten more comfortable with being uncomfortable on the bike.  Now I just need to translate that onto the run. 

2011-06-29 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3572623

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
crowny2 - 2011-06-29 10:56 AM

Thanks!! 

I know it has had an affect on my TT splits for Tri's.  I've never gone this fast before.  Not only do they help physically, but they help mentally because I now know I can not only go faster, but I've gotten more comfortable with being uncomfortable on the bike.  Now I just need to translate that onto the run. 

You and me both, i am told that my HR running should be 5-10 BPM faster than biking, i cannot even come close to my bike HR while running.

I love when people debunk the myth that racing in groups or packs and on a road bike does not help you for Tri's "cause you ride solo and in aero in a tri" and have no one to help you there. Total BS!!!

The proof is in the pudding!!!  Awesome job again!!!

2011-06-29 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3573001

User image

Champion
Rudedog55 - 2011-06-29 12:23 PM
crowny2 - 2011-06-29 10:56 AM

Thanks!! 

You and me both, i am told that my HR running should be 5-10 BPM faster than biking, i cannot even come close to my bike HR while running.

I love when people debunk the myth that racing in groups or packs and on a road bike does not help you for Tri's "cause you ride solo and in aero in a tri" and have no one to help you there. Total BS!!!

The proof is in the pudding!!!  Awesome job again!!!

That would be like saying you don't get better swimming with a Master's Class because you only swim in OW and not a pool.  Whatever. Riding is riding, and doing it in races is the best interval/tempo/speed/LT work you can do.  I KNOW my HR was through the rough on the last ride.  I'll need to upload that tonight to see just how high it was, but I remember, I think, that it might have popped over 180.  (My running LTHR is 196).
2011-06-30 8:23 AM

Pro
yep,

Results from last nights Greenbelt Crit, in Maryland (from my logs)

20 out of 26. Let me first start off with a great race overall. Nice low key but still a blast. So the first few laps where okay, pace was pretty good anywhere between 15 on the climbs and 29 on the downhill so I guess an average of 20? (thats what my computer said).

Getting antsy with 4 laps to go I find a opening and push the pace on the downhill, hitting around 35 mph. I hit the turn and hammer it for about 10-15 seconds, turn around and a guy is right on my wheel. Figuring this is pointless with so many laps to go I let up and wait for the peloton to catch up. They blow past me on the hill and I couldn't catch up (still didn't recover fast enough).

I then tried to reel the group in every lap on the downhill but they just kept getting further and further. Realizing with 2 to go that I just had to suck it up and try to push myself to the finish. A few more people got dropped off the back that I passed. I knew I was behind the group pretty good when I didn't even hear the last lap bell :/.

Came across the finish line and headed to my car. Met up with Joe who tells me he ended up 3rd! Why did I have to go fast with 4 laps to go. Stupid! Ahh well lesson learned as much as I want to push the pace just wait and hammer at the end. 

I know I need to work on small gradual climbing hills and hammering up them and also on not allowing for recovery after the top of the hill. 

I'll keep training and be back at this race again. A lot of fun for a Wednesday evening.

2011-06-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3574389

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Dlaxman31 - 2011-06-30 9:23 AM

Results from last nights Greenbelt Crit, in Maryland (from my logs)

20 out of 26. Let me first start off with a great race overall. Nice low key but still a blast. So the first few laps where okay, pace was pretty good anywhere between 15 on the climbs and 29 on the downhill so I guess an average of 20? (thats what my computer said).

Getting antsy with 4 laps to go I find a opening and push the pace on the downhill, hitting around 35 mph. I hit the turn and hammer it for about 10-15 seconds, turn around and a guy is right on my wheel. Figuring this is pointless with so many laps to go I let up and wait for the peloton to catch up. They blow past me on the hill and I couldn't catch up (still didn't recover fast enough).

I then tried to reel the group in every lap on the downhill but they just kept getting further and further. Realizing with 2 to go that I just had to suck it up and try to push myself to the finish. A few more people got dropped off the back that I passed. I knew I was behind the group pretty good when I didn't even hear the last lap bell :/.

Came across the finish line and headed to my car. Met up with Joe who tells me he ended up 3rd! Why did I have to go fast with 4 laps to go. Stupid! Ahh well lesson learned as much as I want to push the pace just wait and hammer at the end. 

I know I need to work on small gradual climbing hills and hammering up them and also on not allowing for recovery after the top of the hill. 

I'll keep training and be back at this race again. A lot of fun for a Wednesday evening.

it is honorable to die off the front, no shame in that, and as I was reminded on multiple occasions last year, someday that move will stick, trust me on that, it will. And when it does, the sense of what just occurred is simply freaking fantastic!!!

congrats on a great job!!!

2011-07-03 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Austin

Just finished up a crit this morning! It was my second one ever, I managed to pull out a fifth place last month and get some free socks out of it, but I wasn't so lucky this week.

I wasn't nearly as rested as I was for last months race. I've finally started up physical therapy for an IT band injury, so I'm pretty sore from that. On top of that I thought it would be a smart idea to put in a monster bike volume week in the days leading up.

The first preme lap came two or three laps in and I decided to give it a go and see how I measured up to the field. I was already riding with the front group so I jumped out of the saddle and powered my way past the 6 or 7 people in front of me. I opened up a slight gap before a group of 2 or 3 guys caught onto my wheel. I was able to lead the rest of the lap and coming around the final corner gave it a little kick. Only 1 guy hung on behind me. Unfortunately he jumped past me in the final 50 meters or so to take the prize. So I look down at the bike computer and see that I'd spiked the HR up into the 190's and my legs were cooked. I decided to conserve all the energy I could to see if I could hang on for the sprint finish or not.

I didn't contest for any other premes, and was able to hang with the first group up until the final lap. My legs were on fire and I ended up getting dropped on the back straight about halfway to the finish. I think I finished around 7th out of a field of 25-30 so It wasn't a complete failure, but my legs are definitely dead.

I think this was the last race of the year for this particular series, so I may end up doing a bit more driving to get to my next race. This bike racing thing is addicting!

2011-07-03 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3578972

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
F1longhorn - 2011-07-03 11:26 AM

Just finished up a crit this morning! It was my second one ever, I managed to pull out a fifth place last month and get some free socks out of it, but I wasn't so lucky this week.

I wasn't nearly as rested as I was for last months race. I've finally started up physical therapy for an IT band injury, so I'm pretty sore from that. On top of that I thought it would be a smart idea to put in a monster bike volume week in the days leading up.

The first preme lap came two or three laps in and I decided to give it a go and see how I measured up to the field. I was already riding with the front group so I jumped out of the saddle and powered my way past the 6 or 7 people in front of me. I opened up a slight gap before a group of 2 or 3 guys caught onto my wheel. I was able to lead the rest of the lap and coming around the final corner gave it a little kick. Only 1 guy hung on behind me. Unfortunately he jumped past me in the final 50 meters or so to take the prize. So I look down at the bike computer and see that I'd spiked the HR up into the 190's and my legs were cooked. I decided to conserve all the energy I could to see if I could hang on for the sprint finish or not.

I didn't contest for any other premes, and was able to hang with the first group up until the final lap. My legs were on fire and I ended up getting dropped on the back straight about halfway to the finish. I think I finished around 7th out of a field of 25-30 so It wasn't a complete failure, but my legs are definitely dead.

I think this was the last race of the year for this particular series, so I may end up doing a bit more driving to get to my next race. This bike racing thing is addicting!

Very nice, it's cool to see so many here posting RR's.  I've got my first Road Race coming up in 2 weeks, so should be interesting.  Hills are not my friend so my plan is to work for the best climber on our team as long as I can hang in there.

Also signed up for my first stage race, again lots of hills so not expecting much, but should be fun. 

2011-07-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3578972

User image

Master
Connecticut
F1longhorn - 2011-07-03 11:26 AM

Indeed it is. "Come on try it. The first one's free" 

Nice job out there!

Edited by dredwards 2011-07-04 8:09 AM
2011-07-09 11:48 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA Cat 3 crit Race Report.

For this race I had two goals; Finish upright (After crashing pretty hard in a crit on July 4th, this was goal 1 instead of the usual afterthought) and start near the front and stay in top 3rd as long as possible.

Lined up in the second row with about 60 or so other racers with no teammates.  Both the person directly in front of me and the person to my left couldn't clip in correctly at the start.  So went into the first corner near the back.  So much for that goal. 

The course itself was a 1km four corner course with a gradual increase in elevation going from corner 4 to corner 1 and a steep little stretch from corner 1 to corner 2 and then downhill until you reach corner 4.  This race hurt and I was red-lining it most of the race.  It took about 25 minutes to move up into the middle of the pack as the peloton was strung out nearly the entire race.  With ten laps to go I cracked top ten for the first time only to lose it the next lap.  Same with 5 to go.  Going into the last lap I did it again moving up into 7th-ish coming out of corner number two.  Unfortnuately, this is where I popped and lost everything I had worked for.  Finished 20th or so.  Did a couple cool-down laps and then grabbed my free beer and samples.  My ribs hurt for the next twenty minutes from pushing myself.  All in all a decent effort.  Lack of fitness and recovering from injuries limited my performance as otherwise I think I had a pretty good race.

Oliver

2011-07-11 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
Thought I would trow mine in from the Homewood stop on the ICC Superweek tour yesterday.

I signed up for 2 races, and I'm glad I did.  Cat 4/5 at 10am and Masters 35+ Cat 4/5 at 1:20pm.

I won't say much about the 10am race other than I was dropped in a heart beat, wound up being lapped 2x on a 24 lap race before I pulled. 

The Masters race, though, was a different story but only barely.

25 of us towed the line, which was much smaller than the almost 50 at the earlier race.  My goal on this one was to stay with the main pack for as long as I possibly could and then finish without being pulled.  And so we took off.  Just cause these were 35+ "Masters" didn't mean they were any slower.  And I knew I was in for a ride when we were flying through the course, topping out at about 25 mph through out the first 2-3 miles.  It is a 6 turn race, with 4 of the 6 turns in less than a quarter mile, so it is a lot of jumping out of the saddle to keep the pace up and keep up with the pack.  I did for at least the first 7-8 laps, which was 5 laps longer than the morning race.

So I finally got spat out the back, but the next thing I know, I've got two guys coming up behind me, so I hopped on their wheel to try to keep the pace going.  I knew we would never catch back up, but I wanted to hold off being lapped for as long as I possibly could, not knowing if they would pull us or not once we did get lapped.  They never did pull us. 

The one guy that I finished the race with and I eventually kept trading pulls.  He wasn't nearly as comfortable going through the corners, but was a good puller, down the long finishing straight away that also happened to be into an 8-10mph headwind.  So we traded off pulling every other lap.  I was in pain.  Big time pain, but loving it.  

Ultimately, he and I got lapped 2x and almost got caught on the second to last lap as the main pack was hot on our heels.  But when the pace car rounded the last turn and honked at us, I thought "No 'effing way are you passing me again" so I tucked in (I was in front) and he and I upped the pace just a bit more to hold them off.  Passed the line for our last lap and let him take the lead going into the technical part.  As we come around the second to last turn, I tuck inside of him and set myself up for the last turn knowing he might have a bit more power than I.  I wanted to try to get a little bit of a head start on him into the last 150-200 meters. 

Into the last corner, and up the slightest of inclines (maybe 3-4 feet total).  I wait to crest it before I hop out of the saddle.  Our club was there and going wild as he and I laid the hammer down to finish out the race.  In all actuality, I started too soon.  I started to gear out and he was pulling ahead.  I dropped it down another and started to catch back up to him but ran out of room.  The announcer gave us a good cheer in and so did the crowd.  He beat me by 1/2 bike length.

Crossed the line and immediately went into an asthma attack.  Never had one before but I could breathe out but not in.  Freaked me out but only for a second or two.  By the time I was 1/2 way through the course to cool down, I brought it back under control.

Finished 23/25 and missed 22nd by 1/2 a bike lenght.

Numbers for me where
Total length - 15.36 miles
Total time - 43:32
Average Speed - 21.2 mph
Max Speed - 28.2 mph
Ave HR - 184
Max HR - 195
Size of the smile on my face - immeasurable.

I know I still need more T.I.T.S. (time in the saddle) but I'm getting better.  I had a blast and heaven knows I'll be doing more.
2011-07-11 3:54 PM

User image

Lodi, CA Cat 3 Crit 50mins

A little over 50 people in the field and I had 5 teammates with me today.  This is a pretty techinical course that is ripe for breakaways in the stronger categories.  The plan was to get one of guys in a break and if all else fails keep the pace high the last  laps for our two sprinters.  The first thirty minutes were good and I was comfortable in the top 20. 

At thirty minutes there was a bad crash and we were neutralized.  People were being sketchy as we went around corners while being neutralized and when we lined up to restart I found myself at the back.  We waited twenty minutes to restart and were told we would have one neutral lap and then nine to go.  With six to go I moved into the top 10.  With 5 to go a break started of about 5 seconds with Offerman in it and an SGW rider and 5 others.  I was third deep in the pack behind two SGW riders that seemed intent on blocking and they said something that made me believe they didn't think we had a Rio in the pack.  Before the race talking to Offerman he said he didn't feel all that great.  So I made the decision to try and bridge the gap with an all out effort to try and avoid bringing the pack with me.  It worked and I caught the break at the start of 4 to go figuring this would give us two chances to place since prizes went 10 deep and if it didn't we still had Brandon and Kenny in a good position.  Well the break lasted about 1 lap before they decided to quit (dummies, we would have it in my opinion).  With three to go there was a counterattack as we got caught.  At this point I went up to the front and sacrificed myself and caught the counterattack at 1 to go.  At this point I was fried, sat up, and was content to finish off the pack.  Kenny finished 5th so I was happy.  Grabbed some free beer and food and watched the rest of the races.

Three races in 6 days was fun.  Now time to get back in racing shape and get ready for the big late season races in August and September.

Oliver

2011-07-11 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
Because of that race yesterday, I have my first 2 points in USAC!!!!!! 
2011-07-11 11:43 PM
in reply to: #3591826

User image

@Crowny

As long as you place and are not pulled I believe you get the experience point for cat 5 to cat 4 upgrade.  Although I would recommend that you are finishing comfortably in the pack before upgrading.

Here is a link to the upgrade requirements.

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=580

2011-07-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3591934

User image

Champion
oweiss - 2011-07-11 11:43 PM

@Crowny

As long as you place and are not pulled I believe you get the experience point for cat 5 to cat 4 upgrade.  Although I would recommend that you are finishing comfortably in the pack before upgrading.

Yeah, I know.  I've never placed before.  I've always been pulled, so it is my first points. 

2011-07-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3591934

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
oweiss - 2011-07-12 12:43 AM

@Crowny

I always thought it was 10 mass starts period, as long as you line up you are given credit. fortunately the cat 5 races i did early last year when i got dropped were no pull, but i still got lapped plenty and learned a ton. I ended up doing 15-16 cat 5 races before i upgraded this winter prior to the season, and am now 6 points away from a 3 upgrade. If i actually bike raced in the last two months instead of doing Tri's i might have gotten the points, now i fear i might not get enough chances, since i am running out of races this season and cross starts in a month!!!

Crowny, you are doing great, and the important thing is you are learning and getting faster!!!  Keep it up!!!

Edited by Rudedog55 2011-07-12 10:25 AM
2011-07-27 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Another short report about the Tuesday night races I did last night.

Here is my log for the race so you can see some of the numbers from each race.

Will try to make it short.

Quick preface.  There are two groups.  A's and B's.  A's are the fasty mcfastersons.  B's are us 5's and some 4's.  I will refer to Big Orange (BO) in the race report.  He is a guy that has continually been racing with the B's but really should be up with the A's.  Dude is fast.  He is fairly big (6'3") and can lay the hurt hammer down the entire time, all by his little lonesome.  For some reason, he continues to race with us slow pokes and absolutely kills us.

Race #1, 15 laps.  BO takes off and splits the entire group up in the first 2 laps by flying around the course at about 26-27 mph.  I can't hang.  Just can't do it.  BUT, the group starts to come back together and I'm in a group of about 6-7 racers that we start to make a pace line.  Trading pulls and working together, all except one.  My goal is to not get lapped.   I don't.  We are coming around the last turn and I'm second wheel.  The A's are flying by on the inside and the guy in front of me takes it WAY wide and hits the brakes.  CRAP.  So as soon as the last A is by me, I drop it down 2 gears and start to go.  Little guy in front of me is about 1-2 bike lengths in front as he has a quick acceleration, but not a high top end.  I lay the hammer down, and catch him with 10-20 feet to go.  Max out at 31.2 mph.  Finish in ~10th out of about 20-25.

Race #2.  30 laps.  I'm thinking they won't hit it as hard and reserve a bit.  No such luck.  Once again, BO takes off.  3 others follow.  The rest of us get blown up and I just can't hang.  With about 10 laps to go, I hope onto the wheel of larger second group that has just lapped me for the second time.  I figure I might as well try to get more work in with the pack.  Again, we work as a group, each taking a turn pulling.  Final turn, I am once again sitting second wheel.  This time, no slowing down.  The guy in front of me starts to lead out and I'm on him.  I know I'm not really sprinting for anything other than pride, but what else is there to sprint for.  He is a bit bigger with a slower build up, like me, but again, I caught him.  With about 10 feet to go.  Max out at 31.4mph and was still accelerating when I caught him.  No idea where I finished but know it was well back because of being lapped.

Race #3.  20 laps.  By this time, I've resigned myself to the fact that it is going to be quick.  Wouldn't you know, it wasn't.  BO and the other quick ones actually took it out slow.  Over the course of the first 8 miles, we were averaging about 23mph.  I didn't pull at all on this one, just sat between 3rd and 5th wheel the whole time.  I couldn't believe it.  I was hanging.  Well, that is until with about 10 laps to go, BO and two others left us in the dust.  And once again, I couldn't hang.  And with that, I just kept my head down and pedalling.  No sprint this time since no one was around me.  I think I finished about 8th out of about 18-20.

All in all, a good night.  I was beat by the time I got home.  But happy.  I didn't get lapped on 2 of the 3 races, even though they were shorter.  I sprinted my azz off in the first two races and was actually faster in the 3rd race than the first two by almost 2mph (which shows that I really need to stay with the pack as long as I can). 

I'm still learning, and I'm definitely getting faster.  With those 3 races, I brought my average pace, for the year, up 0.08mph.  With almost 1300 miles in this year, I'll take it. 

Keep the rubber side down, y'all.

2011-07-27 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

From the cat 4 road race (54 miles) on Saturday...

I won! Although it was only 20-25 riders who showed up...

Big downhill rollout, down the hill that would actually be the hill we would go up to finish. We had 4 loops before we came back to this hill.

Rolled out to the 1st loop. The course was more hilly than I was expecting. I was pleased to see that. Hit the 1st KOM hill, where there was a prize (I think a free meal somewhere). This was very similar to the big hill on 2208. I just sat in at the group's pace to see who could hit the hills hard. We took it fairly easy, and there were a few riders struggling. I knew that we needed to take it harder next time to drop a few. The rest of the course was pretty gentle rollers.

Hit the KOM hill on the 2nd loop. A few guys attacked so I went with them. After cresting, about 10 of us were off the front. Pretty much the group had been split in half. All of the S3 riders made the break, so they got up front and took care of the work. We created enough of a gap to never see them again.

Round 3 on the KOM hill, and I wanted to see who the stronger hill riders were. So I attacked and 201 went with me. We created a gap, but it wasn't going anywhere so I told him I was sitting up after about a mile. He agreed. We regrouped, still 10 of us.

4th and final round on the KOM hill. 201 went this time, and I tried to go with him. But we again weren't making any ground. But once we regrouped, I realized we dropped the Arkansas guy and a Tiger guy. So we were down to 8.

Strolled straight rather than making another loop. Made our way to the 1k mark, which indicated we were about to go up the final hill. One of the S3 riders attacked first, but it was too far out and the hill had just started. But then 201 and Precision Bikes guy went. Precision Bikes guy had a pretty small frame, and 201 had been fighting the whole race. So I went with them, on their wheel. About 300 meters to go, and the grade isn't quite so steep. There's a calm as I thought everybody was waiting for somebody to go. But I quickly realized they were dead. Now there's only 200 meters to go and I can see the finish. It's a slight downhill to the finish. Instantly I thought if I could get a really good jump I could create a gap they won't be able to close. So I found a good gearing and tried to accelerate as quickly as I could. After 4-5 revolutions I looked back and I had a good 3 bike lengths on them. I ducked my head and went harder. Looked back and I had probably 5-7 now. I knew I was going to take the win. I celebrated by throwing my hands in the air as I finished, just because that's what I see on tv! ;)

Edited by jcbolton 2011-07-27 4:21 PM
2011-07-27 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

And then the cat 4 crit on Sunday...

As usual, there are less riders for a crit than the road race. I understand, for safety reasons. I think we had 17 people start today. Started out fairly hot, and we dropped 5 or 6 riders within the first 3 laps.

The course was pretty fast, with only 3 real turns that required attention, and only 1 required braking. A second would have, but it was just after the one that did require braking so it didn't.

With only about 10-11 of us in the group, I just sat in with the tattoo'd guy from the Tiger team. He recognized me from yesterday. I didn't recognize him at first because he shaved his mustache from yesterday. He was hard not to miss with that mustache. So I told him I hardly recognized him without the 'stache. He proceeded to ask me why I didn't tell him how ugly that was! I told him I thought he was going for the 70's porno star look. Gina must've saw us at that point, because she was wondering why I was laughing in the middle of a crit.

So I sat in the back pretty much the entire way. I really didn't see any reason to get up and work, when everybody else seemed eager to do so. I'm just fine sucking wheel, thank you. :)

On the second to last lap on the long straightaway into the wind on the back I moved up inside. One of the S3 riders offered to let me in, which I was very surprised by. So I was in 5th position heading into the final lap.

Took the turns pretty tight and fast, but another of the S3 riders jumped here and tried to get away with less than half a mile to go. Great effort by him, but he didn't have what it took. On the long straightaway on the back I got out of the line and tried to join him. Later I found out I pretty much pulled the group up into the fairly stiff headwind. I had too much steam to draft, and I was closing in on the finish line. Less than 200 meters, and I'm going too fast to brake.

So I tuck my head and let it go. I didn't look back because I didn't want to slow down any. I was leading as we neared the finish line, and I'm spinning out my gear. I can actually feel the bike flexing underneath me. I don't know what gear I was in, but I needed to get more speed. But I was so caught up in the moment I didn't shift. I saw a couple riders gaining ground on the right, and I pushed as hard as I could. All I could think about was how the sprinters on tv throw the bars forward at the end of the sprint, but I've never tried that and I was too scared I would end up crashing. I pushed through the finish line, fairly certain I was passed in the end by a couple riders. Checked out the photo, and turns out only one of them got me in the end. Missed another win by probably less than half a wheel! And I beat third by even less than that!

So I ended up taking 2nd for the day, which I'm pretty happy with because I really still don't feel comfortable crit racing just yet. I even scratched my pedals trying to pedal out of a turn twice today, which was unheard of not too long ago.

So it was an AWESOME weekend of racing!  I was pretty excited about my chances in the road race because I thought I could take it to all the guys from South Louisiana that don't ride hills.  But I didn't have high expectations for the crit.  So to almost win it too was very pleasing.  Pretty good payout too, which I think triathlon could learn from.  But triathlon and cycling are completely different, which is a whole different argument...  But who wants trophies, when you can get cash?  Took $100 for the road race, $50 for the crit, and $100 for the overall!  Maybe I should start considering quitting my day job?  I think Gina would beg to differ... 
2011-07-27 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Some great racing going on!  Well done!

2011-07-28 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3617978

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
dredwards - 2011-07-27 9:20 PM

Some great racing going on!  Well done!

yeah..well..someone has some sharing to do......  Mrs National Champion......again

LOL!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 Cycling race report thread. Rss Feed  

of 4