General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 Cycling race report thread. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-05-08 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: 2011 Cycling race report thread.

Post your cycling race reports here!

2 weeks until my next race so I'll live vicariously(sp?) through others reports.

2011-05-08 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3487847

User image

Subject: RE: Race Report thread?
I'm game.  Want this to be the race report thread or a new post with a title like "2011 race reports" or something.
2011-05-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3488476

User image

Subject: RE: Race Report thread?

This was my saturday:

Livermore, CA 5/7 E4:

Only Rio in the field of 30 for the cold and windy crit at 8am.  After the first 3 laps the next 7 of 8 laps were primes to try and break up the field.  Stayed toward the front of the race but had to do some bridging as the field would allow teammates to move into a break without responding.  Was third coming out of the last corner but had to grab my brakes as the person in first out of the corner decided to quit and I ended up 5th. 

Pittsburg, CA 5/7 E4:

Craig M. and I lined up for this event in the afternoon at 3:00pm.  Winds were gusting and it felt like you had a head wind for most of the course.  Stayed up front to avoid the eventual gaps that would form as the field got strung out.  Did too much work during the race and then tried to break too early for the sprint and was gassed at the end and fell from 3rd to 5th over the last 200 ft (1st and 2nd were off the front).

No podium but at least I racked up some more NCNCA points for my team.  Looking forward to the Modesto RR next Sunday.

2011-05-12 8:51 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: 2011 Cycling race report thread.

Well, we had the Wednesday night training race at Bethel last night, i raced in the "A" group, which was the later race, Cat's 1-4.  Let me just say, this was different racing, very very different. The first lap was very uneventful, even the roll off was kinda like hmmmm, social ride?? Guys chatting, adjusting things, just kinda milling around. Then came lap 2, and the attacks started, not just one, but repeatedly, one guy, two guys, 3 guys, reel them back and another attack, sometimes the same guy(s) sometimes different guys, this went on for about 10-12 laps, non-stop, pace was high, and very fast 27-29mph. Unlike a cat 4/5 race there was no hesitation, no indeciseiveness if an attack happened, it was get in a line and chase, single file, rotating through, not the 4 wide what should we do version of lower cats. By lap 13 or so, i look up and there are now two groups, front 10-12 and the second 10-15 or so where i ended up, after all the attacks and counter attacks the main field was gapped and split in two....just like that pow 100 meters. and again, with no talking or questioning, we are single file absolutely drilling it trying to get ungapped, 12 man pace line at times in the 30mph range, no talking no swerving, no wondering, sole intent on everyone doing the part to get back to the "race".  we got within 50 meters and it opened up again, i got with a Bethel Cycle rider that i knew and asked him how he felt and when he wanted to go, he said right now, he pulled through i followed, he pulled over, i got on the gas and got within smelling distance of the front group, then the sprint laps came and that was the last of seeing the front guys. so for the last 10 laps we killed it still trying, no one ever gave up, but there were some wheel suckers, it happens, they were hanging on for dear life to our pack, we lost a few and were down to about 8-9 guys and we started picking up stragglers from the front group, the last couple of laps i worked on maintaining position, the rotation was about 4 guys with 4-5 guys 2-3 lengths back hanging on to dear life. at the two lap to go mark i knew i was stronger than most in my group, so i got 3-4th wheel before the final lap and hill, i jumped at the middle of the hill, attracting one guy to come with me, we gapped our group and then he tried to get my wheel and could not hold it, i held the gap till the final hill and sprint and ran outa gas, the little field swallowed me up and I followed them in, kinda hard to get sprint motivation for 20th place after drilling it for so long. Much Much different than normal CAT 4 races, i really enjoyed it. These guys are FAST and know how to RACE.  FWIW i talked to some guys with power meters from my little group, they were averaging 280-300 watts for the hour, i estimated my wattage in the 320-330 area as i had those guys by 30-40 lbs and have to put more power down to maintain the same speed, plus i was out front ALOT, lol.

hope you enjoyed the little write up!!

2011-05-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3495264

User image

Champion

Kelly Cup/Bike Jam Cat 5 race in Baltimore MD today, I believe an NRC race but we Cat 5's go so early I didn't stick around all day to watch the fast dudes.

About 40 guys lined up today for a 10 mile (yeah short) circuit race, each lap was 1 mile.  Pretty flat course, false flat up to the finish and 1 >90 degree turn and a couple of faster turns.

Pace was pretty dull for the first 8.5 laps, near the finish a teammate went off the front and I was about 10th wheel and sped up to the front of the group in order to attempt to slow things down.  2 guys from the same team went around but my blocking gave the 3 of them a slight gap.

So I started the last lap in 4th place, my teammate gassed and the 2 guys took off so I gave chase.  My thought was 2 guys from the same team = dangerous to stay away, To bridge up I pretty much lit my last match which thinking now was stupid as the 3 of us got caught about 3/4 of the way through the lap.  I held on to the end of the group that went by us and ended up 14th.  Had a teammate end in 10th and 3rd so while not a great day wasn't too bad.

It's funny, going in I went with my same mantra, don't work at all, I just don't have the engine to stay on the front long which I've proven to myself a few times, and just save it all for the final sprint.  Yet again in the heat of the moment I take off and burn myself up too early. 

Surprisingly the avg speed was over 23mph, but I only avg'd 217 watts, NP was 275 so a few good bursts I guess.

2011-05-28 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Ok I've never done any cycling racing BUT that power file must be crazy---speed is fast for the ave power and the difference in NP and AVE has to mean you had more then a couple good bursts!  I don't think I could "wait" till the end........

2011-06-05 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3523400

User image

Champion

Bryan Park Circuit race, Richmond, VA.  1.4 mi Circuit. :30 Minute Cat 5 Race.

We were supposed to have 8 people but only 4 showed up, still we were the 2nd biggest team there, small field.

1 Richmond Velo (I think) guy got off the front about 2 laps in, we kept him in our sights the whole time.  Then a guy who I thought was on Fat Frogs bridged and they were off. 

The Richmond Velo guys did a spectacular job of blocking and not working in general.

So we were the only ones with numbers and the 4 of us + 1 evo guy worked hard to try to bring it back, didn't happen.

We stayed on the front for a good portion of the rest of the race.  The Richmond guys almost pulled off a completely perfect move with about 3 laps to go the guys that had been sitting in jumped off the front and got a good gap as the 4 of us were redlined trying to pull back the break.

Myself and another worked hard to pull us up to that group and we finally caught them but by that point I knew I wouldn't have much left for the final sprint.

One of the guys on my team came up and said he was good to go and asked me to get him to the 2nd to last turn on the front so I went to the front and pushed it pretty hard and dropped him and our other teammate off right where he wanted, they pulled ahead and a few other guys surged to go with them.  I tried my best to hang on to the back and ended up catching a couple guys before the line finishing 9th, teammates finished 3 & 4 so all the work on the last lap and a half was worth it.

Other than letting that initial break go (seriously breaks aren't supposed to stick in cat 5 races) we did pretty well I think. 

Loving bike racing so far, Strategy + power is very cool.

2011-06-08 8:17 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

I WON!!!!!

Bethel "B" Crit, 35 mins plus 10 laps, beginning of race was pretty easy, few breaks up the road, nothing serious, i let some teammates chase and a couple other teams go at them, the 35 mins is up and there is 10 laps to go, i start moving forward, with about 7 laps to go, my leadout Swifty comes up along side and says, the two guys up the road are serious, one was the guy i chased and lost to last week for 7 laps, he won i took second after a 7 lap break were we were both solo. So Bethel has this steep little hill every lap of the 8/10ths loop, i get on the outside and roll through hard, as i do i look over my shoulder right into the eyes of the 4-5 guys at the point, all i saw was deer in the headlights, so i hit it, 3/4 lap later i finish the bridge. Let me tell you, the other two are both Triathletes, they knew how to ride, we instantly started a 3 man rotation break with about 30 second pulls each, a lap later swifty rolls up, so i figure we got caught...Nope, they let him go also, how in the life of me i cannot figure out how two guys from the same team are allowed to gap and bridge consecutively. So Swifty starts doing work immediately, helping our little cause, for 6 laps we just keep working and rotating, the gap we had was about 15 seconds, i knew with 2 laps left we had won the race, just which one of us was going to take it.

On the last lap i was second wheel, i let one guy get a small 10-15 meter gap, just to see what he had, he never left and waved us up like...come on guys, i knew he was toast, so i pulled around him and took point, we went down the back stretch and i was going easy, it was going to be a 2 man sprint, i kept checking my 6, to see where the other guy was, and he was my shadow. With about 500 meters to go i jumped hard and caught them all by surprise, i knew if i wanted to hold them off i had to go early, establish a gap and hold on, it worked, they hesitated and were caught off guard just a second, but it was all i needed, i carried big speed up the hill and it was all over. the second place guy came up to me and said, i woulda bet my house you left too early, you never got out of it, i had to let you go at 200 meters. I finally won a race!!!!  Final sprint HR peaked at 180, i was dying and it was like 93 degrees.

here is the garmin link if you all want to look

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91112323

2011-06-09 4:40 AM
in reply to: #3539918

User image

Champion

Very nice Rudy, Congrats!

2011-06-09 5:40 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Very cool, Rudy, congratulations!

2011-06-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3540209

User image

Champion

Your report is way better than mine from the weekly training race.

Basically boring until the last lap, followed the wrong wheel, had to jump to get on the fast train, then tried to go around train and got held up by some lapped riders, jump back on the train up a hill, couldn't outsprint a 15 year old girl for 4th, so ended up 5th.  To add insult to injury I was talking to her and her coach afterwards and they asked if I was the father of one of our 17/18 year old juniors that was in the race...  I mean I am old enough to be his father but didn't realize I looked it.

2011-06-09 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Nicely done!!!!  Congrats!!  And thanks for the Garmin readout.  Very cool.
2011-06-09 10:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-09 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3540415

Master
Connecticut

dalessit - 2011-06-09 9:25 AM

I mean I am old enough to be his father but didn't realize I looked it. 

Ha, I love this quote

Mind you, this is bike racing, so he might just be making an assumption by base rates.  Pick a racer at random and he's likely to be a abnormally fit man in his 40's. That's the demographics of the sport.

Edited by dredwards 2011-06-09 3:51 PM
2011-06-15 9:42 PM

Champion
So this is not about me, but about a kid that came up through the club I ride with, South Chicago Wheelmen.  His name is Brandon Feehery and he was able to qualify for the Nature Valley Grand Prix Development Team that is racing this week. 

Check it out. Our club is incredibly proud of him.

Edited by crowny2 2011-06-15 9:43 PM
2011-06-20 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3551608

Champion
crowny2 - 2011-06-15 9:42 PM So this is not about me, but about a kid that came up through the club I ride with, South Chicago Wheelmen.  His name is Brandon Feehery and he was able to qualify for the Nature Valley Grand Prix Development Team that is racing this week. 

Check it out. Our club is incredibly proud of him.

Again, I know it isn't about me but we are just so proud of him.  He finished the NVGP and finished 73rd in the GC out of 87 that actually finished and 108 that actually started.

The kid is all of 19 years old and finished his very first Pro race and did so ahead of other pros. 

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/road/2011-nature-valley-grand-prix-results-final_179379

2011-06-21 5:56 AM

Master
Connecticut
Well done to your friend!  I'm sure it's a great experience for him just to get out there and race at that level.
2011-06-21 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3559306

Champion
dredwards - 2011-06-21 5:56 AM Well done to your friend!  I'm sure it's a great experience for him just to get out there and race at that level.

Yeah, no kidding.

I think he will now be coming back to hit our Tuesday night races for a while.  He is going to whip the crap out of us. 
2011-06-27 9:32 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

here is a race report from the weekend:

2011 Keith Berger Memorial Criterium

Cat 4 race was first up, pretty big crowd since there was some big fields, course is 6 corners about a mile long with 2 technical turns and a couple flat out corners, bike handling will be at a premium as well as position as the race nears the end. This race is dubbed the CT Criterium State Champs, so anyone living in CT has a chance to medal, if you are out of state, it rolls down to the next resident. The 20 lap race starts off pretty tame, and as usual i find myself shotgun on the field (dead last). Don't ask me why, i just seem to start off easy in the back and gauge the field, by the end of the first lap, i am still last, just in cruise mode, by the end of the second lap i am at the front of the field, i use the intermediate laps to see who looks strong, what teams are working hard and who their main horse will be. A couple of teams are working very hard, not too many breaks, which is no surprise as it is perfectly flat and breaks probably will not work. I spend the next 10 laps just kinda sitting in about mid pack, observing and learning, taking in the ebb and flow of the race, I let the primes go (which snowballed up from $10-$40 with some other nice awards thrown in) with about 8 to go i start moving up, the pace is quickening, some guys are trying to break away, but they are reeled in in short order.

With about 3-4 to go one of the stronger riders jumps, he is quickly followed and not allowed to leave, but...it strings out the field a bit and i got on the donkey train that followed and was sitting in 6th spot (i use the term donkey endearingly, big boys with big legs and big power). Now the heat is on, the train is hammering, corners are coming and going, single file on the rivet. The big boys are leading the freight train and as we go by for 1 lap i am in a good spot. The field slows a bit as we come around the first corner, no surprise really, it happened all race, i knew at this point if i had a chance i had to leave shortly after that corner. Now don't get me wrong, i don't mind a field sprint, i can usually hold my own in one, but i much prefer to narrow down the chances of 75 guys to about 10, especially this course as a couple of the corners really kill the speed of guys following.

So as we come around corner #1 and the field settles, I jump...hard...31mph, i keep the sprint up for about 15 seconds and glance over my shoulder, i catch sights of 2 other white jerseys and then a gap...success, 2/3 lap left, as i am pushing in the drops, one of my followers goes around me on the inside (a guy who was in the donkey train and looked to be on of the strongest in the field) he looks over his shoulder to gauge just what happened and i can see in his eyes he liked what he saw, it is now a 3 man race.  He jumps on it, at this point it is all HTFU and adrenaline, i get on his wheel and we go around the next corner nose to tail, down the back shoot, bikes sliding and dancing under the feet and pedals, second to last corner, 2 man race, short chute to the finish sprint, quick right 250 meters to go, flat out through the corner, bikes sliding and dancing.  Before we even straighten out we are on the power, wheels flexing, gears making that loud clack noise as you shift down on aero wheels under hard power, 2 big ole' clydes in a donkey drag race, we are both flat out, i gain a few feet, i have a wheel to the right his rear wheel, neither one is giving in to the pain and absurd heart rate, the meters are clicking away, neither of us are gaining or losing an inch, the crowd is screaming and cheering, 33mph 184bpm, never sat down..... and never caught him, we cross the line him to my front left about a bike length ahead....2nd place....AWESOME. The guy that won was from NY, so the roll down for the gold medal went to me!!!  I'll take it. 

garmin data (no power) for those interested

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95041344

hope you enjoyed!!
2011-06-27 9:56 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
I think I need to take some blood pressure meds before reading your next RR, Rudedog55, that was really intense. Congrats on another fantastic race.
2011-06-27 9:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-06-27 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3568855

Champion
New York, NY
GO RUDY GO!!!!  congrats!!!!
2011-06-27 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3569210

Master
Connecticut
Awesome job rudy! It was great to see you, but ... 6 corner crit? KB is a 4 corner crit. Were you taking a detour?
2011-06-28 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3569663

Champion

Sorry, missed this yesterday.  Great job Rudy, nice strategy.

2011-06-28 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3569663

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

dredwards - 2011-06-27 3:55 PM Awesome job rudy! It was great to see you, but ... 6 corner crit? KB is a 4 corner crit. Were you taking a detour?

will you agree on 5?? LOL  I counted the double corner on Pitkin as 2, and used Rudy Math... HA!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 Cycling race report thread. Rss Feed  

of 4