Bagel with Jam, Oats, Coffee, Gatorade, 1 x Gel
Event warmup:

50m swim
Swim
  • 36m 8s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Chatted away on the beach with mates watching the countdown from 5 minutes. positioned myself a couple back from the front closest to the buoys. After 100m I found clean water and pretty much had no one around me the entire swim. Was I swimming off course?? Where was everyone?? Sighted on every 6th stroke and I seemed to be following the course. Everyone else was sitting quite wide for some reason. I looked for feet to draft but there was no one in front of me that I could catch and I didn't have anyone go past me. Strangest swim I have ever been in. Had a seriously fast breaststroker to my side the entire way which totally annoyed me. How dare he !! Swell got pretty big after about 500m and sighting was difficult. On the return home I seemed to just zone out and I was thinking about my bike leg. Pretty uneventful swim - not much more to say unfortunately.
What would you do differently?:

Find some quicker feet!
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Hooray, got my feet in my shoes within 200m of getting on my bike. Great start to the bike leg. If only I knew about the wind I was heading into.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 28m 48s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 36.33 km/hr
Comments:

Talk about headwind! 33km/hr on the way out and 42km on the way back. Took it easy on the first lap and took in fluids for the first 30 minutes. Had a couple of gels and salt tablets every hour after that. Drank 1.5 litres of fluid along the way. No toilet stops. Was glad to not puncture as I didnt bring any spare tubes :). Felt like i kept a consistent effort on the pedals the entire way making sure I left myself room for a decent run. Was 1 minute slower than last year but given the conditions I was pretty happy with that. Happy to have a tailwind on the return home although it seemed to have disappeared on the last lap and turned into more of a side wind. Glad I didnt have a disk on the back and the wind was pretty scary at one point when i was nearly knocked over!

Not a lot. Maybe train harder :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Perfect transition for me.

Run with no socks.
Run
  • 1h 44m 20s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Took it easy on the first 5km as i could feel cramps wanted to stop my run but somehow they managed to keep at bay. Kept my pace just above 5 minutes. Knew I would get it back as the race went so I wasn't too worried. Next 10 km's I picked up the pace to 4:45's careful not to bring on a cramp fest and held that consistently. Ran through all the aid stations at this point. Wanted to finish strong so I stopped at the second last aid station (4km'sto go) and drank some coke to power me home. Unfortunately I found that the power wasn't coming and I only managed to hold my pace home. Looked at my watch with 2km to go for the first time in the race not knowing what I would see. I was surprised to see 4hr44 and I felt relieved to know that I can calmly bring it home under 5 hours again. Nearly had a hammy cramp when i hit the final chute which would have been embarrassing but thankfully all went well.

I didnt do enough speed work after the IM in December so my run wasn't quick enough for the time I was hoping for. 5 minutes quicker than last year and no disabilitating cramps so all good.
Post race
Warm down:

Muffin and fruit juice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM training

Event comments:

Hope to be back next year!

Last updated: 2010-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:08 | 1900 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 85/228
Overall: 654/1435
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:28:48 | 90.1 kms | 36.33 km/hr
Age Group: 33/228
Overall: 148/1435
Wind: Strong
Course: 45km out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:44:20 | 21.1 kms | 04m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 59/228
Overall: 306/1435
Course: 3 laps of out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-09 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: Busselton 1/2 Ironman

2011-05-09 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3489198

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Busselton 1/2 Ironman

Awesome mate, how impressive was that with no speed training....... sheesh    A PB in those conditiones is serious going, you've got to be proud mate, you've had a stunning 12 months!

I must have had the exact same swim as you, I went round the inside and saw hardly anyone, not even a fast breaststroker, LOL.  Made for a very relaxing effort!

Was great to see you Jeff, especially after the race, now rest up and have a great winter!

2011-05-10 2:12 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Fantastic race! You make it look so easy, but following your logs its clear that you do the hard training thats needed to get these kinds of results. Congratulations on the PB, enjoy the off season, and I'm looking fwd to reading about more of your amazing achievements

2011-05-10 5:27 AM

User image

Perth, WA
Awesome effort mate, you got out what you put in and deserve a PB. Well done!
2011-05-15 1:14 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Fantastic race report and so proud of you to get another PB.  It's well deserved after all the effort and discipline you've shown over the past year.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Busselton 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed