United States
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 54/180
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 5/33
Pre-race routine:

I had my usual breakfast burrito 2 to 3 hours before the race. I then nibbled on Cliff Shots and sipped on Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Because I was doing the race as a team’s relay I did a little ride and some light calisthenics? I watched Susan swim a couple of laps before going out to T1.
Swim
  • 09m 54s
  • 457 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

We finished 10 of 32 in my Age Group; 6 of 10 in the Team Category and 69 of 180 overall.
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

We had a good transition. Suzanne ran to me, I ran to the bike and then moved quickly to the T1 exit.
What would you do differently?:

I miss sighted how to exit T1. I was close but had I went left from the bike rack vice right I would have saved a couple of seconds.
Bike
  • 39m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

We finished 3 of 32 in my Age Group; 3 of 10 in the Team Category and 38 of 180 overall. I passed one woman in the beginning; one woman passed me around mile three. I then picked off three to four riders from the earlier swim heat. In the last three miles I was picked off by two male riders. We then rode in together about 5 seconds apart. At a couple of points it might have looked like a pace line. I think we did a good job of not cheating though.

The first one third of the ride I felt like I was riding a good cadence. Someone watching may have looked at me and thought I was a decent time trialler. When I got into the rollers I felt like I lost that a little bit. I think with some more outside riding and some practice time trialing I can pick up that extra miles per hour I lost.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I felt like I handled T2 better than T1. I moved quickly to the bike rack. I racked my bike fairly quickly. I put on my shoes standing. I knew where the exit was and moved to it quickly.

I would be happy with this time in T2 in future races. I think I can still get quicker but there are other parts of my race that could benefit from practice more.
Run
  • 30m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

We finished 18 of 32 in my Age Group; 10 6 of 10 in the Team Category and 116 of 180 overall. My effort was pretty consistent. I just pictured myself on the Elliptical and kept going. I never felt like I was going to need to stop and walk at any point. The most difficult part may have been the short hill in the park that I had to run up twice.

I don't know if I would have done anything differently getting ready for the race. I know going further I need to get the knee feeling better to get my 5K time down.

During the 5k I tried to keep my exertion level consistent. I passed two runners and was passed by probably three or four runners. Even though the exercitation level seemed the same as the bike leg I think some foot speed would definitely move me up in the run segment placing.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. It was raining so I gathered my gear and changed into some dry clothes. I then went and found Ryan and Heather to discuss some racing war stories. After that I went out for brunch and an Irish coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the first step is getting my left knee rehabbed. I will need to get some speed workouts in also. With swimming I think I need to continue to drill for the majority of my workouts. I also need to work on some open water swimming drills in the pool and at some local lakes.

Event comments:

It has been a year since the WOU triathlon. Suzanne swam about the same. Maybe a little faster this year. The run this year was slightly slower also but in the same ball park. My bike was about 3 miles per hour faster. I am very happy with the effort. I hope to get into this race again next year and pick up some time in the run leg.

Last updated: 2010-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:54 | 457 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 69/180
Performance: Good
Suzanne led her lane from start to finish. She came out of the swim heat in the top 1/4 of her heat.
Suit: None
Course: The swim leg was 10 laps in a 25 Meter Pool. There were four to a lane and six lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:58 | 12 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/33
Overall: 38/180
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was flat and smooth for the first 4 miles. We then left the town and went out to the country roads. There was one hill of significance and some rollers that stick out to my mind. I had planned to ride about 19 mph but ended up riding closer to 18. Still a good ride though.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:11 | 03.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 116/180
Performance: Average
Course: The course was an out and back with two loops around a small park. The course is also flat with a small hill in the park where the water station was. There were some long straight stretches which were good or bad depending on your mental state for seeing what the other runners were doing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes