General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Time Tri- Practice Swim on Course ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-12 6:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: First Time Tri- Practice Swim on Course ?

As some of you know by now June 5 is my first sprint Tri and I am nervous about the swim, as I waited much too long in my training to start swimming. Be that as it may, I am confident I will be ready.

The race I am in, offer a trial swim on the actual course, 2 days before the Tri. I am conflicted about whether I should do this or not.

On one hand, it would be very comforting to know ahead of time I can do it without a problem.

On the other, I am worried about the psychological factor of it being for practice and not real. What I mean is, I know if I am in the water for the race, I will simply not allow myself to not complete the swim as I have put 3 months of hard training in for this triathlon. If it's practice I may not have that intense mindset and stop if its gets too tough, then that will wreak havoc on my confidence come race day.

Did you participate in a trial swim like this when you did your first Tri?

2011-05-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3496370

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: First Time Tri- Practice Swim on Course ?

I would say go for it.... something tells me just from your post that you have worked hard in preparing for your first Tri...which translates to you not giving up on any training seesions because they were to tough....so treat it as another training session. 

I also have my first Tri on June 5th and am looking to do a pre race swim on the course....and plan to treat it like just any other swim....at least that is what I am telling myself....live and learn.

Good luck on June 5th.

2011-05-12 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3496384

User image

Veteran

Good luck to you too!

Here's why I'm nervous about the swim:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251523&posts=25&start=1

jsmoon - 2011-05-12 7:37 PM

I would say go for it.... something tells me just from your post that you have worked hard in preparing for your first Tri...which translates to you not giving up on any training seesions because they were to tough....so treat it as another training session. 

I also have my first Tri on June 5th and am looking to do a pre race swim on the course....and plan to treat it like just any other swim....at least that is what I am telling myself....live and learn.

Good luck on June 5th.

2011-05-12 6:46 PM

Let me preface this by saying am an in no way an experienced triathlete, so take this for what its worth.

Similar to you I thought I would go do a trial run on the course the other day (tri this weekend.)

A few things happend. 

1.  I got more comfortable with the wetsuit and really enjoyed the boyancy it gave me.  I didnt have to turn my neck near as much to breath.

2.  I got a little more comfortable not being able to see what the heck is going on.  Nothing but greenish brown water covering my eyes.

3.  On the bad side, the water was cold and it really threw off my breathing.  I have trained bi-lateral and I couldnt last more than 100 yrds without having to go every other breath (or one sided breathing).  Not a change I like making right before the race.

4.  Because it was so different from training I am sort of glad I did it, but now kind of freaked out about race day when before the practice I wasnt too worried.

So, after all that, I would still say go and practice, but dont let the things you didnt expect freak you out too much.

2011-05-12 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Practice make perfect! Do the practice swim slow and easy.  Do the swim portion of the race slow and easy.  Beginners have a habit of going out too hard and struggling early on in the swim.

Brian

2011-05-12 9:27 PM

User image

Regular
Dorchester

I have been taught and practice this always.  No training for 48 hours before race day.  If you are not ready by then, one more swim probably will not help much.  Save ur energy and just get through the swim one way or another.  Keep your speeds up on the bike and kill the run!  Take time to enjoy the day, your first race only happens once!

2011-05-12 10:56 PM

Veteran
YYZ / MNL
I would do the swim but not at race pace, mostly to become familiar with the water and surroundings. If they have the buoys in place to simulate the actual race course, you can practice sighting imprinting the landmarks in your mind. Come race day, you are not groping in the dark as it were. Strategize and visualize the race in practice then live it on race day. My .02.
2011-05-13 12:37 AM

User image

Expert
Hammond

My first tri is in 11 days and I was getting very panicky about the swim. I really was very close to throwing in the towel before the race because I seriously don't want to drown and I was starting to think I might.

One of the sponsors held an OWS tonight in the same general area of the race. Not the exact course but same Lake, not far from actual race course. I went and was a nervous wreck all day. Twice I told dh to turn the car around and take me back home. He didn't and I did it! I can't tell you what this did for my mental state. I am soooooo much more relaxed about my race and now I know I can do it and I'm not pulling out. I am thrilled that I went, and feel so much better knowing that I swam the distance.

I would say go. For me it was a major mental boost that I really needed.

Good luck,

Shelly

2011-05-13 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

Just Do It  don't race it but, Just Do It

It will set you up for a better race.

2011-05-13 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
BP(MI) - 2011-05-12 7:13 PM

As some of you know by now June 5 is my first sprint Tri and I am nervous about the swim, as I waited much too long in my training to start swimming. Be that as it may, I am confident I will be ready.

The race I am in, offer a trial swim on the actual course, 2 days before the Tri. I am conflicted about whether I should do this or not.

On one hand, it would be very comforting to know ahead of time I can do it without a problem.

On the other, I am worried about the psychological factor of it being for practice and not real. What I mean is, I know if I am in the water for the race, I will simply not allow myself to not complete the swim as I have put 3 months of hard training in for this triathlon. If it's practice I may not have that intense mindset and stop if its gets too tough, then that will wreak havoc on my confidence come race day.

Did you participate in a trial swim like this when you did your first Tri?

I find a practice swim on the course always helpful... if only to be able to locate and practice sighting points to help you swim straight on race day...

Edited by Davisjl 2011-05-13 11:05 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Time Tri- Practice Swim on Course ? Rss Feed