United States
Red licorace events
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate some breakfast, pumped my tired, dranke some diet coke. The usual. I have never done a duathlon before. Set up my transition. I wonder if I seriously don't look like I know what I am doing or something because some asswipe always has to try and tell me how to set up my transition area. Seriously? I have clearly well worn bike shoes elasticed onto my $4000 bike which bears not one but two IMFL stickers. I take up roughly a square foot of space under my bike which in this case was occupied by my helmet, sunglasses and a towel. Geez o pete.

Hung out with Javier and Carmelita, a bird pooped on Javier and I. Fabulous.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike over to the transition area

******times are off my watch. Can't find results on line
Run
  • 32m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm actually QUITE pleased with this. First of all in the last 2 months I have run like maybe 5 miles and none of that was continuos. I actually can't remember the last time I continuously ran 3.1 miles. It was head wind going out tailwind coming back and I was close to being dead last in the field but for me it was good and its all relative right? My hip didnt' hurt too much and my achilles was good. I can't complain
What would you do differently?:

Not be grossly undertrained on the run. Seriously I
ve been coming off a hip injury so I totally cannot complain about this. Very very happy
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Ran in, took my hat off, helmet and glasses on and off I go.

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 17m 54s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok so I got my feet into my shoes I think the best ever and off I go. I'm going up a hill like 22.........um YEAH there was a tail wind. It was very windy but got worse as the day went on. The gusts were not too bad on the first loop. I made the turn around for the first loop in 17 minutes....pretty speedy for me.

I knew there would be head wind coming back tho and I was right. I passed a lot of people. The road was kind of bumpy. I did not totally fill up the aerobottle beacues it was only oly distance but I should have because I drank nothing on the first 5K. Coming bck the wind was picking up and I was shocked to be passing people going 15MPH. Made the turn around at 38 minutes so it took 4 minutes MORE to fight the wind going back.

OK off we go again. First loop my legs were not appreciating the 5K I had done but they had settled down by now. I just tried to take advantage of the tail wind as much as possible and reel in as many runners as possible. Hit the turn around at like 58 minutes so I was pretty evenly splitting. The gusts of wind were so bad that all of a sudden my bike would just get pushed sidewides about a foot or more. It was crazy.

On the last leg. Wind is crazy. Just trying to not totally burn out my legs. Still passing people. I'm curious to know where my bike split stands comparitively. Hoepfully they will eventually post the results online.

I need more experience in the wind. I made 100% correct decision to leave the Hed3s at home. I probably could have pushed a bit harder the last leg but I'm happy with it. I was probably gusting over 35MPH and I didn't wreck so its all good
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

This is way faster than I thought it was. I had a little trouble racking my bike. I just sat downa nd put my shoes on and hat on. I walked out of transition and started running when I hit the timing mat

nada
Run
  • 40m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m  min/mile
Comments:

So I started out doing my 3:1 run walk plan. I actually didn't do too bad and was not even taking the whole 1 minute walk break. Its so not a cardio issue its a my legs suck issue. I was going dead slow and most of the people who I passed on the bike passed me right back but its not like I didn't expect that outcome.

The only good thing about the wind was that at least it kept things cool. Made the first turn around then the second and headed back out. My achilles started acting up and my whole calf was spazzing out. Didn't turn into a death march until the last mile which considering how little I have run the last 3 months its OK.

I need to get back to running. I'm pleased my hip was pretty darn good. Not pleased the calf/achilles was crappolla
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got some water etc. Got my stuff. Because everyone from the oly got pushed into the DU and a lot of the sprint tri people switched to the oly DU I think I had the most people in my age group of about any at this race. There were only 188 people in the sprint and oly combined. I think the top 2 girls in my AG got 2nd and 3rd masters but that still left me in 4th. Whatever. I suck and i know it. The only way I get hardware is if the field is thin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Coming off the hip injury and they deleted my strongest discpline.

Event comments:

Its a small race. I was disaappointed they had no expo. I told them they need to list on tri find and they will get lots more participants. Overall I can't complain.

Last updated: 2011-05-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:53 | 03.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: out and back and out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:17:54 | 24.9 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: out and back and out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:18 | 03.1 miles | 13m  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: same out and back and out and back as the first 5K
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-15 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Corpus Christi Duathlon

2011-05-17 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3500224

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Corpus Christi Duathlon

Glad you were able to race!!!

Having swim canceled took away your strength but jellyfish part II probably would have been bad idea with lost of newbie swimmers.

Nice work on steady pace and passing so many folks on the bike!

Way to pace well on the run despite minimal running due to injuries.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Corpus Christi Duathlon Rss Feed