Piranha Sports
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = 5/300
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am and had the usual breakfast. My family had other obligations so I was on my own for this race. I packed up my stuff and left around 4:30am. It's about a 45 minute drive but I still had to check in and pick up my packet. As usual, I was one of the first people there and walked around in the dark for a while watching them get organized. Picked up my packet around 5:45 and set up transition.

Short race so there wasn't much to think about. No nutrition needed. No spare tires. No socks. Just one bottle on the bike. Don't need much for a sprint. It was only about 60 degrees but I still opted for a tri jersey. No arm warmers or socks. If it were 50, I might have gone with a long sleeve jersey.
Event warmup:

Got in the water about 10 minutes before the start and swam around. Water was chilly and took a while to get used to.
Swim
  • 09m 25s
  • 545 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was OK. I felt like I had a good start but even after 200 yards I could tell there was a group WAY ahead of me. There was minimal contact and it completely cleared up after 100 yards or so. Turns were fine.

The swim time includes a long (150-200 yard) run to transition with a steep hill to run up. So actual swim times were quite a bit less than what is listed.

Looking at results, a few of the top guys were 2 or more minutes ahead after the swim. There were some uber-swimmers at this event. The guy who had the top swim time a Lake Placid last year was here today. I expect to be behind these guys after the swim....but to lose 2 minutes in a 500 meters swim in a tough pill to swallow. I need to get better at swimming if I want to compete for the top 1-2 spots. Not sure if that's gonna happen though.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

T1 took more time than I wanted. Had trouble getting my suit off. I opted to put my shoes on in transition and run through rocks/grass with the bike shoes on. Others carried the shoes to the mount line and put them on there. Not sure what is best.

Need some practice removing wetsuit. First triathlon since Lake Placid so I'm a bit rusty at this transition stuff.
Bike
  • 41m 53s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I got up to speed quickly and was feeling pretty good. There is a group of hills that start at mile 2. There isn't much time to catch your breath before you're cranking up a steepish hill. Started passing bunches of people. Most of these people were in the duathlon that started before the tri. Hit the smooth part of the course around mile 5 and slowly started reeling in some of the faster guys. There is another section on the back side with some rather tough hills. Caught more people on the steep parts and started putting some distance between me and them. The last few miles are fast with some tricky turns. I made up about 30 seconds on 2 guys during this section and entered transition with them. Just goes to show you that you can make up time by being a better bike handler just as you can by being a better climber.

I took a bottle with me on the bike but honestly didn't need it. I took about 2 drinks from the bottle and most was left over. Really don't need anthing for a 1 hour race when it's 60 degrees. That sure didn't stop some people from carrying tons of stuff with them. I saw as many as 3 bottles on some bikes and even aero-drinks. Just not necessary for a sprint tri unless you plan on bike the 15 miles in more than 2 hours.

Fairly good bike. Not in the best bike shape so I would expect to be 30-60 seconds faster on a good day with a more focused training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Decent T2. 13th best time. Had some trouble getting my race belt on and lost a few seconds.

Nothing.
Run
  • 17m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I could tell right away that my running legs felt good. I have been running very consistenly (150 miles/month) for the last 4-5 months. I left T2 with 2 other guys and they were 200 yards behind me in the matter of a minute or two. I saw a few guys ahead of me who appeared to be running quite well. After 1/2 mile or so, I really started picking up speed trying to catch these guys. I ended up passing 2 people on the run but could catch the other 2 I saw ahead of me. They ended up finishing less than 2 minutes in front. Of course, these were the swimmers who outswam me by 2+ minutes.

I was under the impression that this was a legitimate 5K course. I had no idea I could run a 5K in 17:22, especially after biking. The course is quite easy and I had rabbits to chase so I suppose it could be a legitimate distance. Not sure really.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and talked with other competitors. Ate food. Awards ceremony started promptly at 9am as advertised so I was able to get on the road by 10:15am or so.

Ended up with 1st in M35-39 age group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Haven't been as focused on triathlon as I normally am lately. Training has been going well but I really have no focus right now. Have no complaints though...good race overall.

Event comments:

Very well organized local race. A bit pricey for a sprint triathlon but very well put together. This is definately a bikers triathlon as the bike course is difficult. Volunteers did a great job. Would definately consider doing this again especially considering it is so close.

Last updated: 2011-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:25 | 545 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 15/300
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Z2 full
Course: Triangular course keeping buoys to your left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:53 | 15 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 3/300
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A loop through the rolling hills of Carroll county Maryland. A very hard bike course. Some steep hills mixed in that makes it tough to get in a rythm. Several places where you go back a forth between 12mph and 35mph.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:22 | 03.1 miles | 05m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 4/300
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back run with 2 loops. Mostly flat but there is a 50 yard very steep hill that you have to run up to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: Cascade Lake Triathlon

2011-05-16 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3501130

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Cascade Lake Triathlon

Great race! I definitely agree that bike course rewarded good bike handling, especially with wet roads.

I'd like to know the legitimacy of that run course distance, too.

2011-05-16 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3501130

User image

Veteran
PA
Subject: RE: Cascade Lake Triathlon
NICE RACE--Congrats Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cascade Lake Triathlon Rss Feed