Revolution 3
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 356/366
Age Group = 25-29 M
Age Group Rank = 46/46
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, watched "Grandma's boy" and got breakfast down. Went over my plan one more time and drove to the venue to get a good parking spot and go over the bike one more time. Ran about 1/4 mile to warm up a bit (as there was no warmup in the water) and that was that. Got the wetsuit on and waited on my wave.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water and waded for about 2 minutes. We had the largest wave, so I got my fightin' gloves on.
Swim
  • 28m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yeah yeah, I'm not such a wonderful swimmer still. It didn't help that I could never seem to find a clear spot. Certainly the most physical OWS I've ever been a part of. Lots of bodies and arms and feet to keep you on your toes. That said, I felt pretty good with it and came out of the water ready to go!
What would you do differently?:

I possibly should have pushed just a bit harder the last 400-500m, but I knew I wasn't going to be fighting for first out of the water or anything, and didn't want to burn out before I got on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

T1 had a LONG run for me, as my bike was at the very back of the corral, So I unluckily had the farthest to run possible. It didn't help that I got a bit lost as to what my bike looked like ;) Still, everything pretty much went smoothly, the only hiccup was when strapping my shoe on (riding) I came unclipped somehow. Wasn't a problem, just struck me as odd that it happened... need to check how tight my cleats are.

Run faster? I dunno, win the lotto on bike position would have helped a lot!
Bike
  • 2h 42m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 9.17 mile/hr
Comments:

So... yeah. This is where the day took one of those drastic turns for the worse.

Bike Split 1 - 21mph Average.
Bike Split 2 - 23mph Average.

I hit the turnaround and get pigeonholed to the far side of the road by a passing competitor + a car halfway in our lane. I see the Debri I'm about to headlong into but can't do anything about it but hope. Sadly, the Bonty Aerowing is not made to ride through broken glass and my heart sinks as I hear that terrible "PSSSSSSTTTTTT." Fortunately I'm able to ride it to the side of the road (And contrary to popular belief, latex tube did NOT explode and throw the tire off the rim...)

I quickly pull my patch kit off the back of my bike and get to work. I run my finger through the inside of the tire and don't feel anything (however, I later notice my index finger is cut & bleeding... which means I certainly missed the shard) Tube in and tire back on and I'm back on the road in about 2 minutes. I Hero about 3/4 a mile trying to fight back into my race, when I hear "PSSSSTTTTT!"

F*($#@#@!!!!

And sadly, that's about where our story ends. Two flats, no more tubes or Co2, I sit on the side of the road and wait for the SAG wagon and cheer on the other people. I have to say, I was very thankful and surprised at how great the other competitors were. I had a ton of people ask if I needed anything or if I was OK. While waiting on the sag wagon I did get to help out a couple of fellow athletes. Some Highlights...

- One guy's Crankarm(!) came off while he was pedaling! He stopped and fortunately had a multitool and we were able to get him back on the road.

- A Girl's stem had not been tightened up after her flight, and we had to rig it to hold tight enough so that she could ride it in without her aerobars moving independent of her front wheel. She didn't have a multitool and I felt bad sending her off with a hand tightened stem... but it was her race.

- One guy had actually went off the side of the road on a descent, into the bush. He looked really scratched up, but since his bike was fine he decided to continue on and finish. (he had driven from Canada to TN the day before to Race!) That man HTFU and I hope he finished strong!

That was about it. I was very disappointed as I've been having a LOT of problems on the bike (at least it seems like) lately and I was well on my way to crushing my time from last year... but, that's part of it too.

Nothing. Sometimes it's just not your day.

I do think that I probably took it a bit too easy the first 4-5 miles of the bike, as my power avg. was not all that high... I kept waiting to save some for the climb at mile 8, but it seemed like it was over before it started and I should have spent that energy on some of the flats. Oh well... live and learn.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Got everything situated and found my family (who were worried sick) to let them know I was ok. Went home, fired up Dragon Age 2 on the Xbox and had some crown and coke to celebrate my defeat... felt like I deserved it haha. Nothing like 12 hours of drinking and gaming to relieve some stress.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Glass.

Event comments:

Rev3 is the real deal. If you haven't had the pleasure of doing a Rev3 event yet, I highly recommend it. I assume it's even better if you have children, as there is tons of stuff for them to do.

Last updated: 2011-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/46
Overall: 166/366
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1 First Wave
Course: Straight down from Calhoun's dock, turn at the bouy and all the way down to the rowing building. Hard to get too far off course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:42:33 | 24.85 miles | 9.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/46
Overall: 356/366
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very Tennessee. Lots of rolling hills, some good climbing, and some fairly butt clenching downhills that you could really pick up some speed on if you had the balls / lacked the sanity.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 0/366
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon

2011-05-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3501270

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon

Sorry about that Chris, I heard the loud pop then saw it was you.

Stuff happens, not much you can do about it I guess.  Just have to come back and kick a$$ next year.

Good seeing you again, pretty sure we'll be back next year also.

2011-05-16 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Sorry about the blow-out & flat issues, at least it was something out of your control and didn't create any injuries to deal with.  

When I saw you on the side of the road in the BT kit, I knew I had to ask, but when you said you didn't need anything .....  I felt for ya, kind of knew your day was over!   

2011-05-16 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
Sorry about the bike issue -- I saw you on the side of the road..I do believe your quote was something like "I found the perfect place to watch the rest of the race"  Made me smile.  Hope things go better for you next time out.
2011-05-16 4:26 PM

User image

Tough luck man.  Good on you for being helpful to others though.  I'm sure the Tri Gods will remember this in the future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed