General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee surgery=new era Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-25 1:59 PM

User image

New user

New York
Subject: knee surgery=new era
Hi! New to the site...

I just turned 24 and am currently recovering from knee surgery. I've had OS disease (a chronic bone "bump" where the Tibia attaches to the Patellar Tendon) since I was eleven. The nuisance has prevented me from getting anywhere training wise - whether it be endurance or any other sport - so I decided to have it removed, hopefully enabling me to get on with my beloved active life!

That said, I'm slated to start rehab/PT in a couple of weeks and since I've been hungry for my first Tri for a while now, but unable to get far with training, I was hoping somebody who may have been in my position (or knows of someone within the site) could give me some insight. Any tips or ideas about rehab with a "focus" on the tri sports, or even staying fit while off your feet etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew
NY

2005-08-26 9:38 AM
in reply to: #233796

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: knee surgery=new era
Welcome to BT. I'm recovering from my 7th knee surgery. I had six before I started training for tris. I have OSD too, but I still have the bump. Just do good rehab, you'll be fine. Most injuries in this sport come from overtraining, so be careful about increasing distances and duration (no more than 10% in one or the other). Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
2005-09-01 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I am on the comback trail after have partial knee replacements in both knees (2003). Do your rehab well listening to the PT. SLow and easy will bring you back strong. I had to fight with the whole notion that I should be farther than I was and that was hard (of course at 41 I healed slower). It certianly opened doors for me that had been closed for a long time. I tell my wife all time (like when I come in after a good hard ride and she points out that I am 44 and why am I doing this to myself - my response - becuase I can!) PM me and we can encourage each other along the way!
2005-09-08 8:29 AM

Hey, I had my ACL repaired 10 years ago, knee sx sucks!!!!! I was so dedicated to getting well, all I did was rehab my knee, 2 hrs at physio every day and then I started to walk a track, I worked my way up in strength then started slow running , cycling was the hardest at first but once I could pedal all the way around I spent hours on the stationary bike, working the quads as much as you can really helped me. One word of caution, try not to over work your good leg or that one may become more rpone to injuries as it begins to overcompensate for your weaker leg. Good luck I know my sx was different than yours but rehab is essentially the same.
2005-09-10 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Sorry to here about your Sx. I know from a PT's prospective and a knee Sx victim elevate, elevate and elevate. Get it up above your body. Lay on the floor and put it up on the couch. Moving that fluid out of there is important. Good luuck at PT.
Dex
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee surgery=new era Rss Feed