General Discussion Race Reports! » Hilton Head Triathlon - Go Tri Sports Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hilton Head Triathlon - Go Tri Sports - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
United States
Go Tri Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 26s
Overall Rank = 91/155
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Started off the day at 0500 with a breakfast smoothie and a cup of tea. Got to the race at 0630 for the expected start of 0730. Nope moved up to 0700 so had to hustle to get the transition area set up and didn't get it done as well as I would have liked, simple things like opening the bike shoes and putting on my cyclocomputer didn't get done but I got chipped and marked up and made my way to the ocean
Event warmup:

quick jog on the beach and some light streching
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim, listed the swim ime as 11:33, but I was out of the waqter at 8:55 the course then requires you to run across the beach through a hotel parking lot across a street and into another parking lot to get to the transition zone and the official swim end. I swam well we swam with the current and there was quite a bunch up at the bouy but I was able to keep from getting caught on it.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS, only had one but at least the water was very smooth.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

This is where I definiely got slowed down from the earlier than planned start. Quick splash of water on the feet socks on, shoes on helmet glasses gloves and jersey all came on without a any big hitches except that the tongue of the shoes got caught up and had to spend some time digging them out. Out the chute on the bike and clipped in on boh feet on the first try and out I went.

Most likely will not go with a jersey for this distance no real help either way. Gloves are up in the air, the padded gloves definitely keep my from losing feeling in my hands so worth it.
Bike
  • 35m 12s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Went in knowing that the swim and bike would be my best legs and put my best effort into it. Unfortunately 250+ people on the course doing 4 laps with only one traffic lane made passing an interesting proposition, once found myself in the vehicle lane to pass and another time almost bit it while going around a corner and almost got pushed into a cone. Big groups of people not sure if just newer or actively trying to draft but with that small of a course it was kind of hard not to be doing it. Passed more than I got passed, but the 1st place finisher passed me twice and was already running when I was starting my 4th loop, finished in like 57 minutes wow.

Need to drink more while stuck in the packs unable to pass and the cyclocomputer would have been nice to see my speed and keep i even.

more liquids
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

one of my bike shoe buckles got jammed so had to spend some time to wrench it off but besides that decent transition

not chug half a water bottle worth of gatorade and just grabbed a GU and some water at the aid station
Run
  • 30m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I knew this was my weak leg and it showed, not sure if I overdid it on the bike or just need to work on overall running endurance but ended up having to walk a few times, would have made my goal of under 1:20 if I had powered through, and almost felt like I was going to see my breakfast a few times, but got into a good cadence by mile 2 and then tried to open it up at the end but wasn't much left.

run the whole 5k :-)
Post race
Warm down:

walked it out got some watermelon, should have stretched a bit the hamstring feels tight now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not having the T zones properly set, need to work on the running.

Event comments:

Great atmosphere and plenty of people helping out, definitely will do it again.

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 40/155
Performance: Good
Suit: Pearl Izumi tri shorts
Course: 25 meters out 450 meters down the beach with the current and 25 meters back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:12 | 12.5 miles | 21.31 mile/hr
Overall: 52/155
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3.1 mile loop flat, fast and with good road conditions. Some shade as well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:18 | 03.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 121/155
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as bike loops, good shade 2 water stations
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-22 6:35 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: Hilton Head Triathlon - Go Tri Sports

2011-05-25 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3512013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Hilton Head Triathlon - Go Tri Sports
Congratulation TRIATHLETE on completing your first tri. It sounds like you had a great race and had some fun out there too.  I also didn't drink enough on the bike during my first race.  But overall great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hilton Head Triathlon - Go Tri Sports Rss Feed