WTC & Memorial Hermann Hospital
91F / 33C
Overcast
Total Time = 14h 04m 9s
Overall Rank = 1302/2156
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 229/323
Pre-race routine:

I made a checklist for each bag (bike & running gear, and bike and run special needs bags). I went through the checklist with my wife at least a dozen times before I dropped my bags off at transition. We did have access to our gear bags race morning, but the lines were insane. Feeling confident that I had everything where it needed to be, I skipped the line and said I'm heading to swim start...I know what I have in my bags, no need to check them. A lot of preparation saved me a lot of stress race morning.
Ate 1 cinnamon and raisin bagel w/ peanut butter, a banana, and a small bottle of strawberry/banana smoothie drink.
Sipped on Ironman Perform drink until race start.
Event warmup:

Did some dynamic stretches to get warmed up. Mostly pot-stirrers and quick arm circles.. Got in the water as soon as they opened it up to AGers. There were still people on the ramp to get in the water when the gun went off.
Swim
  • 1h 53m 31s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The plan was to get in the middle, surge and keep up with whoever was near for the 1st 400 yards or so and then settle down, get out of traffic as best as I could then setlle into my race pace.
And then the gun went off...
I surged and hit a wall of bodies! About 20 people had STOPPED at the buoy like they were afraid to go swim. This created a huge bottleneck. I'm pretty sure I didn't make any friends when I started swimming over folks and pushing my way through. But if I didn't push through, I was going to get run over. I didn't get beat up too bad and finally found some water to swim in then settled into my pace.
Made it to the turn around and was feeling much more relaxed. Took it ez and swam the long way back into the canal.
Once in the canal, it got crowded again. Didn't get beat up, but the lack of room to manuever was evident.
Checked my watch and I was a little behind where I thought I'd be. Then BOOM! my right calf cramped up. Luckily the canal was only 3-4 feet deep and I was able to stand up and stretch it out. Swam ez for a bit then it cramped up again so I stopped and stretched until it relaxed. Swam ez the rest of the way without issues, but I knew I was way behind where I wanted to be.
Navigation: According to my Garmin, I swam 5058 yards. That could explain alot!!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Get closer to the front, surge and clear, then settle into race pace. The faster you're away from the start buoys, the better off you'll be.
Not sure what happened with the calf cramp. In training I would consistently get foot cramps at around 3500 yards but I had learned to push through them and they would relax. The calf cramp was intense and unexpected.
Also, this was a wetsuit optional race. I brought my sleeveless and decided not to wear it. I knew I wasn't going for an award or a Kona slot so I am wondering if I should have worn it.
Transition 1
  • 07m 8s
Comments:

This was about the median time for T1 in my AG. I made up 8 places in my AG at T1. in #312, out #304

I put my nutrition inside a bag inside my bike gear bag. Fumbling around in that second bag probably cost me some unneeded extra time.
Bike
  • 6h 41m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike strategy gone, out the window, bye-bye, via con dios. Trained for munths with a power meter,my race plan centered around my power meter, and on race day my power meter decided to take the day off. I changed the batteries he day before. Checked it before I dropped it off in transition Friday. Worked fine. Checked it race morning. Fine. Got on the bike and shifted up....no power showing on cycling computer. Ok, I had my heart rate monitor...I can wing it using HR.
Went up the first hill and my hamstring began to spasm. This had me worried. The whole course is rolling hills with a few flat spots. I had to think of something quick. No power meter and a cranky hamstring. This was going to be a long ride. My hamstring was fine as long as I stayed light in the pedals and if I had to really hammer to get up a hill I could get out of the saddle and use different leg muscles to get up the hill. So that's what I did. If my HR was staying low after going up the hill, then I shifted up and stayed light in the pedals with a fast cadence and zipped down the hill, carried that speed into the next climb and, if needed, got out of the saddle t finish the climb. If HR was higher at the top of the hill, I gathered a bit of speed and coasted in tight aero down the hill letting my HR come down. Whenever I could, I was streteching the backs of my legs to get rid of the spasms/cramps.
Mile sixty I got my special needs bag where I had a Redbull, some endurolytes and Advil. Stopped and stretched my hamstring as best as I could and off I went. I was able to ride the hills normally after that, but couldn't push too hard without my hamstring acting up.
Despite not having a great ride, I managed to make up 24 places in AG on the bike. From #304, to #280.
Looking back, I am probably the most disappointed in not being at my best for the bike. I drppoed 15 lbs and shed 9% body fat since January. This is the lightest and leanest I've been in over a decade. I think this course would have been ideal for me.

Put some endurolytes/salt tabs in my bike gear bag. I wasn't expecting the cramps that early.
More strength training focusing on core, glutes and back of the legs.
Transition 2
  • 06m 52s
Comments:

A bit better than average for my AG in T2. Gained another 6 positions here.

I always run with a Fuel Belt. I was carrying two 8 oz bottles + nutrition with me. Forgot to fill my bottles before the race so I filled them in T2. Looking back, there were aid stations every mile with plenty of water. Don't think I would carry the water bottles with me.
Run
  • 5h 14m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

I was so looking forward to this run after that bike. I had my plan, I knew my HR monitor worked, and I was ready to run. I ran from T2 screaming "It's run time, baby! Wooo!"
I wish my legs were as happy as my brain was to be running. My hamstirng started cramping again and my IT band was so tight I could feel it rolling across the muscle with every step.
So, I scrapped my run plan and did what I had to do to finish. To get through the 1st two laps, I ran for 2 minutes then walked for 1 and walked the aid stations. I was taking in Perform and water at every aid station and slamming endurolytes trying to get my hamstrings to stop cramping, but they just wouldn't let up. The last lap, I tried to run a little further between each aid stations. The last few miles is through the crowds and I knew that the end was soon,so I kept walking to a minimum and the crowd responded when they saw me trying to run (most people had resigned to walking the rest of the way at this point). When I hit the chute, I ran as fast as I could. If my hamstrings locked up on me, I could crawl to the finish. The crowd cheered and I ran faster. I saw the finish line and I ran faster. I heard "Scott Hercules, you are an Ironman!" and I stopped :)

Nothing. I was mentally in the game the whole run. I concentrated on what I needed to do at that moment to make sure I made it to the finish line as fast as I could and without blowing up. I smiled often, flexed for the cameras when I saw them, and made jokes as often as I could....my favorite joke as we passed a mile marker "Know what the best thing about mile 16 is? It's not mile 15..." cheesey I know, but it was hot and it was the best I could come up with as my brain was frying :)
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped and stretched the back of my legs then walked around gathering my gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps and equipment malfunction

Event comments:

great event...the crowds were great... so glad I could do my first IM at the inaugural IMTX. Double special.

Last updated: 2010-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:53:31 | 4224 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 312/323
Overall: 2017/2156
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU tri top and shorts
Course: Lake Woodlands - Out and back almost the entire length of the lake then you make a right hand turn and swim up the canal to the swim exit at the transition area.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:41:52 | 112 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 259/323
Overall: 1541/2156
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The bike course was a large loop from Woodlands, north into the Sam Houston national Forest, then west through Richards, and then south back to town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:14:17 | 26.2 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 156/323
Overall: 896/2156
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loop run course through the Woodlands area. Around a portion of the lake, through a neighborhood before hitting the canal for an out and back before running by transition and then a quick run through Market Street where the finish line was before doing it all over again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-25 2:27 PM

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina
Subject: Ironman Texas

2011-05-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3518556

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas

You are an IRONMAN!! Kirk and I were stalking Ironman.com all day - we had our phones on our bikes during our ride and kept checking on you - you did awesome! It was a HOT day from what I heard and you held your own. 

I can't believe you swam over 5000, that's insane! Powermeter malfunction, I can definately relate. You did a great job putting it aside and just riding based on what you did have available. And running in 90*+ is never fun, especially after riding 112 miles. Congratulations on your race! You have come so far is such a short time - can't believe you beat me to an Ironman. Enjoy some time off now and relish your accomplishment. Then, pick out your next Ironman!

2011-05-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3519949

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas
hblackmon - 2011-05-26 11:49 AM

You are an IRONMAN!! Kirk and I were stalking Ironman.com all day - we had our phones on our bikes during our ride and kept checking on you - you did awesome! It was a HOT day from what I heard and you held your own. 

I can't believe you swam over 5000, that's insane! Powermeter malfunction, I can definately relate. You did a great job putting it aside and just riding based on what you did have available. And running in 90*+ is never fun, especially after riding 112 miles. Congratulations on your race! You have come so far is such a short time - can't believe you beat me to an Ironman. Enjoy some time off now and relish your accomplishment. Then, pick out your next Ironman!

Thanks, Heather!  You, Kirk, and G-dub are huge inspirations for me.  Ya'lls support means more than you know...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Texas Rss Feed