General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-26 3:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread

Hello all, I was curious who was all doing this race this year and if anybody can tell me how the bike and run portions were if you did it last year.  I think that the course has changed a little so we may all be in the same boat with trying to figure out the course.  This will be my first HIM and I'm actually following the BT beginner  20 week Full Ironman training plan to get me ready.  Has anybody used this plan before.

2011-06-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3519372

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread

I am in. I will come from Switzerland to make it, just because it is close to NY and I want to go visiting the big apple.

I don't have so much informations but according to this link, I would say that the bike course is pretty fast

2011-06-06 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
JMoney - 2011-05-26 3:17 AM

Hello all, I was curious who was all doing this race this year and if anybody can tell me how the bike and run portions were if you did it last year.  I think that the course has changed a little so we may all be in the same boat with trying to figure out the course.  This will be my first HIM and I'm actually following the BT beginner  20 week Full Ironman training plan to get me ready.  Has anybody used this plan before.

I did the inaugural Syracuse 70.3 last year.  I used it as a tuneup race for Ironman Florida six or seven weeks later.  I'm originally from the area so it was an excuse to see my parents and get a race in.

I'm not doing it this year because that September date isn't ideal for me.  Kid in school and all that. Grandparents want to see the grandkid more than they want to see me. Tongue out

That stated, the event moves to the end of June starting next year so I will be back in 2012.

My bullet point thoughts:

• It was very well run for a first year event.  The only snafu...
  • The host hotel and expo is in Liverpool.  The entire race is now in Jamesville.  That's a 20 minute drive.  There's pretty much one road into the race area and it got backed up so much they had to delay the start of the race.  Hopefully, they figured something out but plan accordingly.
  • I've been away from the CNY area since 1993 and I live in Texas now.  The temps in Texas were still around 100 degrees last September.  I was so freakin' cold the day of the race as temps were in the mid-50's to about low-60's.  The water was like 62 degrees and I was even cold in my wetsuit.  I was also very cold on the bike.  I see you're from Rochester so the weather probably won't bother you as much since you're used to cooler fall temps.
  • They completely fubar'd the scheduling of the swim waves.  I'm in the M40-44 AG which is the largest group and the second fastest group.  Guess which AG they ran before the two M40-44 waves? The W50+ group.  Not sure the reasoning for putting the slowest wave in front of the second fastest group.  I do not understand why race directors do not put the fast waves out first. It should be: Pros, M30-34, M35-39 and M40-44 and then stack the rest of the waves however they want.  Sorry for my little rant.
  • The bike was tough but fair.  The Jamesville area is beautiful.  The first 12 or 13 miles are pretty much uphill.  It goes from about 600 feet to about 1700 feet in 10 miles.  It sort of levels off for the next 30 miles or so with some rollers and a couple of big hills.  Those hills are short but steep.  The toughest one is around mile 20.  I saw a lot of people walking up that one.  I suggest running a rear cassette like a 12-27.  I normally run a 12-23 or 12-25 where I live because it's super flat and I switched to a 12-27 for the 'Cuse and I was glad I did.  Be careful on the downhill descent of that hill because I hit 50 mph and most others were laying on the brakes.  The last 12 miles or so are net downhill so you can make up some time lost going up all the hills.  The bike is not fast but it's not slow either.  It's a course where you never completely get into a groove because of the constant up and down nature of the course.  I think I averaged 21 mph last year which is on the slower side of things for me.
  • My Garmin Edge 500 listed total climbing of 2700 feet for the 56 miles.
  • The run has completely changed for this year.  The run last year was a point-to-point from Jamesville to Syracuse.  It was a fast run because it was net downhill but the run itself sucked from an aesthetics standpoint because Syracuse is an ugly city and we got to run through all the ugliest parts.
  • The new run course remains in the Jamesville area.  It should be a very pretty run but it will be a much tougher run because it will be very hilly.  I guess you could say it will be much more pleasing to the eyes but not to the legs.
  • Post race food was very good.  Can't remember which restaurant catered it but it was good.
  • It was a pain in the butt getting back to transition area last year because we were 13.1 miles away from our bikes and gear.  You won't have that issue this year.
  • I know this will sound strange but you'll see what I mean on race day: Best port-a-potties I have ever used.

I can't speak for the BT plans too much.  They're far too generic and not detailed or descriptive enough for my liking.  I train/race with power and all the fancy widgets and BT just isn't for me.  I'm partial to Endurance Nation's training program and coaching (full disclosure that I'm on Team EN).

My best piece of advice is to dial in your nutrition plan.  There's little to no concern for nutrition for sprint or olympic races but you have to have a nutrition plan for a HIM or IM.  Beginners often overlook this fact and pay for it dearly on race day.  Where transitions are the 4th discipline of short course triathlons, nutrition is the 4th discipline of long course triathlon racing.  I can't stress the nutrition thing enough.  I consulted a sports nutritionist after my first HIM ended in total disaster because of a poor nutrition plan.  I wouldn't say I'm an expert but really have that dialed in now.

The most important thing is to enjoy the day!

Edited by GMAN 19030 2011-06-06 1:12 PM
2011-06-06 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3533429

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Plissken74 - 2011-06-05 4:28 PM

I am in. I will come from Switzerland to make it, just because it is close to NY and I want to go visiting the big apple.

I don't have so much informations but according to this link, I would say that the bike course is pretty fast

I did the race last year, the link you posted is wrong. It goes to what the original course was supposed to be(or one of the original courses it changed probably about 5 times over the summer). This goes to the current course. 

You climb a little over 1000 ft in the first 12 miles, but after that its mostly flat/rollers. If you've ever ridden in the north east you know the type of roads. Nothing hard, and the last 8 or so miles are mostly downhill so you get it easy coming into T2. My Garmin had just a bit over 2000ft of total elevation gain. 

My only two real complaints about last year was the ugliness of the run course(over 2 miles of it was in the middle of a four lane road that went past a mall, not exactly nice running), and the logistics associated with a point to point run. I was at the race by myself so at the finish I had nothing with me but my tri-suit and what I thought to throw in my "run bag", which thankfully made it safely to the finish. 

Both of those complaints don't matter anymore since they changed the course and it nows starts and ends at Jamesville Reservoir.

Its a toss up right now if I'm doing the race again this year. I want to, but the new Ironman Pocono's 70.3 is closer to home and the timing might end up working out better for me.

2011-06-07 1:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
GMAN - Thanks for the good info, I'll be sure to get my nutrition dialed in.  I saw that the entire race was at the park this year, so I couldn't decide where to stay (closer to Liverpool for all the pre race stuff or towards the park).  I'm not sure what to expect for the pre race stuff if that is something you go to and stay all day or just go back and forth.  I figured I would want to soak up all the pre race stuff so I'll probably be living in that hotel for the 2 days before the race.  I agree with you on the training plans, So far I'm going through the full Ironman one and it seems to be increasing in everything but not a lot a detail, I can't complain because it is free but it gives me an idea on the percentages of training for each.  I'm good with the 12-27 that is what I'm running with (just lucky that is what came with the new bike) Also lucky because that is what everybody recommends for LP which I plan to try next year. 
2011-06-07 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3536301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The only mandatory things to do are athlete check-in (at the host hotel) and bike check-in (at the race transition area).  Everything else is up to you.  I'd certainly suggest perusing the expo for a little bit but it's certainly not an all day event or anything.  There's also nothing mandatory about the "mandatory" athlete meeting.  They just regurgitate what's in the athlete guide regarding the rules and course.  I wouldn't waste my time with it but that's me.

Best of luck with IMLP next year.  There's a possibility that next year could be the last year for IMLP. Ironman New York City was just announced this morning and it's 3 weeks after IMLP and Ironman Mont Tremblant (Montreal area) was announced last week and it's 4 weeks after IMLP.  IMLP's contract is up next year and they just added two races to the Northeast within weeks of IMLP.  It doesn't bode well for IMLP's future, IMO.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2011-06-07 7:36 AM

2011-06-13 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
I did the Green Lakes Tri this past weekend in Syracuse and blew up on the swim. I thought I did well on the bike and run.  I guess it's good that I find out what all my weaknesses are before the big HIM.  I have another Sprint set up for early August so hopefully I can work on my OWS now and get ready for the third swim in a wetsuit.  How is everybody else doing with their training?
2011-06-29 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My training plan for 'Cuse started this week. I've got the NJ State Oly in a few weeks and then all the focus for the rest of the summer will be getting ready for Syracuse. I'm clearly going to have to figure out how to ride some hills between now and then or it's going to be a long day.
2011-06-30 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3573929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-06-29 9:13 PM My training plan for 'Cuse started this week. I've got the NJ State Oly in a few weeks and then all the focus for the rest of the summer will be getting ready for Syracuse. I'm clearly going to have to figure out how to ride some hills between now and then or it's going to be a long day.

I live in flat as a board Houston, TX and I didn't think the bike course was that bad.  Tough but not overly tough.  The course isn't flat at all but it's not like you're riding a mountain stage of the Tour de France either.

If you can't get out and ride hills, you can kind of simulate hill workouts on a trainer by doing low cadence, low gearing workouts where you're killing yourself to stay above 55 rpm.  I did some workouts like that for prep.

Gearing will also be important.  As I stated earlier, running something like a 12-27 is a smart move. Maybe even a compact if you got access to one.

2011-06-30 8:09 PM

New user
Syracuse

I did the Syracuse last year for my first ever tri and loved it. We'll see if the honeymoon is over this Sept. Agreed that the run next to cars standing in traffic last year on Erie blvd stunk. With the run now in the country/jamesville, it will be much nicer. And a whole lot better for spectating.

I would recommend staying at the host hotel. There really are no hotels near the race start, so it is either driving 20 minutes or driving 15 to 10 minutes. Either way it is a drive.

A climbing cassette is needed for the steep but short inclines. Like the above posters said. I switched mine to an easier gear after grinding my legs to death on a few training rides. Speaking of that, I see someone is from Rochester, Syracuse Bicycle last year ran a few traing rides on weekend mornings. A few weeks before the event and there are hundreds out there on the course, so why not come on over.

Not that I will be anywhere near the podium, for those that want to qualify for las vegas worlds there are two races on this course to get to the 2012 sept race, this fall and again in June.

2011-07-06 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
is this the updated and correct bike course?

2011-07-06 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
That looks like the correct route.  At least that is the test ride I did.  It was ok (it was actually the longest ride I've done to date)  It seemed like it was nothing but climbing for the first 14 miles.  Then after that it was kind of flat with some small rollers.  Then out of no where there was this fairly short but steap (at least for me it seemed that way) hill that showed up.  I was actually suprised that there wasn't a lot of climbing on the way back up North (not that I'm complaining)  but when you look around and all you see are hills, the roads seem to take the path of least resistance.  So for someone that doesn't really work too much on hills after the first 14 miles it just seemed like riding anywhere in NY. 
2011-07-13 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
It looks like I'm not going to get up to Syracuse until Saturday in the late morning/early afternoon. I assume check-in is going to be a nightmare at that point.

Did anyone who did the race last year check in on Saturday? Was it as bad as I'm anticipating?
2011-08-09 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy

I plan to arrive late morning/early afternoon on saturday as well.  Hopefully there is not any issues with checking in this late.  

On another note - how is everyone's training going?

I am using this race as a tune up for IMAZ, so far feeling very confident in accomplishing my time goals. 

2011-08-10 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
My training is going ok, though I'm always in doubt since this will be my HIM so I don't know if I'm doing enough or not.  I'm using the free 20 week full Iroman program from BT. 
2011-08-16 6:25 PM

Regular

The twenty week full Ironman plan from BT should be more than enough to get you through this race no problem.  I'd have to dig out some of my old training logs but I think the one you are using is the same I used for IM AZ last year and it worked out quite well. That was for a full Ironman so volume wise you should be fine for finishing, it may lack in speed work for the 70.3 distance though. Right now I'm the HIM Intermediate plan for this race and it worked out well with the other commitments I have right now.  Won't know how well it worked until race day though.

On another note I saw that last year there were some coupon codes to get $50 off of last year's IM Syracuse 70.3 and I was wondering if anyone knew of any for this year? I've been procrastinating registering for this race for about a month a half now.

2011-08-17 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the info.  I was in at LP volunteering and they had a signup for the Syracuse race there and there was a discount.  Figures that would happen to me since I had already signed up earlier in the year.  I thought I saw something on the ironman website about a discount a few weeks ago about a discount for the race not sure if there was a code or not. 
2011-09-07 2:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
How's everybody doing with there training?  I'm getting excited about the race coming up.  I see they have the Bib numbers up as well.  Looks like I'll be in Wave 9, and won't be starting till 7:35AM.  I might have to eat a bigger breakfast
2011-09-07 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
I am stuck in the final wave - #11. I am not thrilled about a 0745 start, but I will make the most of it.
2011-09-14 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Does anybody know if they have buoys out there on the lake.  I was going to see if I can get in a little swimming Friday or Saturday but it would be nice to know if they have something out there.  Anybody else planning to do a swim? 
2011-09-14 6:03 PM

Regular
I'd like to test the waters but I don't know what the policy is going to be.  At other races I've been to you have no chance to swim beforehand.  Does anyone know if it will be possible to swim in the lake on Saturday? Or if we'll have to pay some sort of park fee to do so?

2011-09-15 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3686915

User image

East Syracuse, New York
I know you can get into the park for free because we'll be getting our bikes into transition etc on saturday. I cant remember if anyone was swimming last year or not...dont think there are any park personel working after labor day so i dont think anyone would stop you...also lots of room to warm up off to the side sunday morning if you have a later starting wave. Id bring your swim stuff sat. and i'll bet there's no problem getting in the water.
2011-09-15 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Last year there were alot of people swimming on Saturday...I was one of them. The boeys were in place as well so I swam out to the 3rd one then back. It was chilly.
2011-09-15 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Let me offer this one piece of administrative advice when it comes to driving to the venue on both Saturday and Sunday.  The East Seneca Turnpike to Apulia Road is an absolute nightmare with traffic. You don't want to be stuck in it.

My advice: exit off the East Seneca Turnpike just west of Apulia Road.  Take either Barker-Hill or Bamerick. Eventually you have to get on Apulia but taking either of those two roads will cutoff the traffic snafu around the village.  Google Map the Jamesville area and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Exiting to Barker-Hill:  Take Barker-Hill and make a left on Smokey Hollow, then a left on Coye, and finally a right on Apulia.

Exiting to Bamerick: Take Bamerick all the way to Apulia and make a right.

I think Bamerick is easier to navigate.

2011-09-16 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3688648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
GMAN 19030 - 2011-09-15 7:02 PM

Let me offer this one piece of administrative advice when it comes to driving to the venue on both Saturday and Sunday.  The East Seneca Turnpike to Apulia Road is an absolute nightmare with traffic. You don't want to be stuck in it.

My advice: exit off the East Seneca Turnpike just west of Apulia Road.  Take either Barker-Hill or Bamerick. Eventually you have to get on Apulia but taking either of those two roads will cutoff the traffic snafu around the village.  Google Map the Jamesville area and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Exiting to Barker-Hill:  Take Barker-Hill and make a left on Smokey Hollow, then a left on Coye, and finally a right on Apulia.

Exiting to Bamerick: Take Bamerick all the way to Apulia and make a right.

I think Bamerick is easier to navigate.

Thanks for the info. I'll be making a test run tomorrow and I'll see what happens.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2