General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just starting Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-26 7:17 AM

Subject: Just starting
Good morning everyone, My friend and i just decided we were going to start training for our first sprint tri.
We have been researching on this site in particular (it is great!). But we are a little confused as to how to actually get started. How long should the training process be? I saw yesterday that many people are already training for races in June and July. Can someone please give me a place to look in order to get some training. I know there is a training schedule on this website, but that is for the 13 weeks before the race, anything i can start doing now?
Any advise would be great!!

2003-09-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: #971

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Just starting

give a good read to Getting_started.  in a nutshell it focuses on building your base before u even get to the final 13week pre-race program.  everyone will have a different background and athletic ability, so this is very general and gives u guidlines to build a program based on your current activity.  it follows 2 rules: the 10%rule, and one week off per month for a 'rest week'.  also on that page is links to 2 different running prgrams if u have no prior activity.

give it a read and let us know about any more ?'s so we may give u tips on setting up a 'base building' program.

and...WELCOME!!!!

2003-09-26 12:26 PM

Regular
Gulfport, MS
I too am training to do my first tri. I highly recommend you follow the 10% rule - I injured my knee and was in therapy for 6 weeks. Ron has some great advice on the site about training. I have been trying to do a little of each segment each week. I also have been lifting weights because I am trying to loose some weight before my 1st tri in May 2004.
I took a re-fresher swimming class and it helped tremendously because swimming for fun and swimming for a tri are quite different.
I ran in a race a couple of weeks ago and I ride my bike (usually) 3-4 times per week. Just as long as you are doing something each week, you just build from there.
Good luck!!
2003-09-26 7:34 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Getting out the door at this point and starting to build any type of base is great. I agree with the 10% rule, don't over do it. A quote was mentioned by one of the coaches in a recent post and I think it is worth mentioning again, " We over estimate what we can do in 12 weeks, but we tend to under estimate what we can do in 12 months." That may not be the exact quote, but you get the point.

Don't let the sport be intimidating, we have all had the same thought and had to find our way.

Still Tri'n
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just starting Rss Feed