General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Guy Ready for a Big Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-28 10:32 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Big Guy Ready for a Big Challenge

Hey all, Thought I would say hi as I am new to the site and throw my ring into the big guy world in this part of the forum. 

Currently I stand 6'3, 265 muscular pounds as I am avid weightlifter and mixed martial arts competitor (in my profile pic I was at a peak lean, mean condition for a fight at 248). I don't have much to lose to be really lean, but I wanted to say hi to all the big guys out there and throw my name in to learn more about the issues specifically associated with larger persons and triathlon training.

I love weightlifting way to much to ever give it up, so I plan on being the big guy at all the triathlons I will do.

2011-05-28 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3522901

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Big Guy Ready for a Big Challenge
Welcome, I am 6'4" and 235 right now. The hardest thing I found being our size is the running. I had a very hard time running and lifting heavy. Good to have you aboard!!
2011-05-28 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Far South Burbs of Chicago
Welcome aboard. 6'4 255 here. Hardest part for me is the run too, but I've never been a runner. Have you done a tri yet? I've got my very first in about 4 weeks.
2011-05-28 4:43 PM

User image

New user

Haven't done one yet, but it's my new physical challenge I am undertaking. Like I said, I have competed in Mixed Martial arts competition in the past and love the challenge of that sport as well, but triathlon seems to be a more personal enemy (really, the only person you have to beat is yourself, as opposed to the other fighter in my case).

Tentatively, I will be doing a sprint tri at Devil's Lake in Wisconsin in September. However, that may change as I am in the process of searching for a career in engineering (I just graduated) and may soon be heading somewhere across the country.

2011-05-28 9:34 PM

User image

Memphis, Tennessee

Welcome aboard and good luck in this new adventure for you. I am 6' 2" and 220 or so down from almost 300. The run has slowly gotten better for me and I am almost starting to not really hate it like I used to in the past. There are some really great articles and plans here that you can use. If you have not swum a lot, I would suggest you take the time to get educated a little since I think swimming is mostly technique. Again, good luck!

Phillip

2011-05-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3523020

User image

Lakes Region NH

garrunning - 2011-05-28 2:35 PM Welcome, I am 6'4" and 235 right now. The hardest thing I found being our size is the running. I had a very hard time running and lifting heavy. Good to have you aboard!!

you forgot uphills....

welcome ape. 

if only we were all burdened with the size due to muscle bulk...  good for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Guy Ready for a Big Challenge Rss Feed