General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri the lake? Whately Police Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-01 12:11 PM

Subject: Tri the lake? Whately Police Tri?
Anyone ever do either of these races?? I am thinking of doing one, but don't know anything about them....

thanks!!

2011-06-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3527612

User image

Subject: RE: Tri the lake? Whately Police Tri?
I did Tri the Lake last year on a relay team. It was pretty weak, I have to say. The course wasn't bad and it was very flat (3 bike loops, 1 run loop), but very little in the way of amenities. The t-shirts were horrendous - screaming gold colored. The people running it were super nice, but totally clueless. It's definitely a "training" race, in my book. We had fun, but it's an expensive day of training.
2011-06-02 11:04 AM

User image

I heard that Tri the Lake is full at this time. 
2011-06-03 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
MA

Tri the lake is full, it went fast this year.   If you're expecting hardcore competition, nice swag, and major race set up/management, you'd be disappointed.  Also not a good race if you have zero tolerance for some newbie ignorance, not keeping to the right on the bike/riding two wide/not aware of surroundings/etc;, but if keep alert the small field makes that all very manageable in my opinion. 

Race coordination improved last year over the previous and I'm sure it will do so again.  It is a well run event; the volunteers are all great and the price is right.   The multi-lap set up may not make for the best racing conditions, however it does make it a very spectator friendly course.  The park and playground set up for kids and smaller crowd is nice.   I look forward to this race every year as it is the shortest trip for me and my family enjoys going. 

2011-06-03 9:33 AM

Thanks everyone - Will keep it on my radar for next year. Since Tri the Lake is full, I signed up for the Whately Police Tri...
2011-06-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3530699

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

The Whately tri is fun.  The swim is in 'manmade' pond, which you can see from I91 before exit 24 (the Yankee Candle exit)  The bike course is good w/ some nice rolling hills, a few steeps and a fun downhill following a stream.  The run is an out and back (kind boring)  My only complaint with the course is getting out of the rec area onto route 116.  They cone off lanes, but bikes and runners share the same lane (one lane out, one lane in) and can bottleneck.  I did voice a change suggestion using 3 lanes - 2 for bikes (1 out & 1 in) and a shared lane for runners since its easier to avoid a runner when your a runner than a biker trying to avoid a runner.

Other than that, its well run.  They took a lot of advice from the Greenfield tri, which IMO is one of the best and most organized races in the area for both beginners and experts

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri the lake? Whately Police Tri? Rss Feed